DDS Help

Benton

Hello,

I have a plant model that uses a transparent leaf texture on the faces to make the plant. When this texture is used by the model's material, the model shows up black. However, when I use the cobblestones.dds file for the texture, it works perfectly. So maybe the alpha is not working?

Here is the .dds file.

And this is my .mat file:

texture0="abstract::leaf.dds"

shader="abstract::mesh_diffuse.vert","abstract::mesh_diffuse.frag","abstract::mesh_alphatest.frag"

shadowshader="abstract::mesh_shadow_skin.vert"

Thanks,

Benton

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 gigs ram, 3.30GHz Quad Core, GeForce GTX 460 one gig, Leadwerks 2.5, Blender 2.62, Photoshop CS3, UU3D

It has no mipmaps.

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

Alright so the mipmapping worked, thanks! So now it is mapped onto the leaf mesh, but the alpha/black is showing. Is it not alpha? How would I make the black part around the leaf transparent, it works in Blender...

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 gigs ram, 3.30GHz Quad Core, GeForce GTX 460 one gig, Leadwerks 2.5, Blender 2.62, Photoshop CS3, UU3D

You need to set up alpha blending in the material and you need to choose a shader that considers alpha.

So Blend Mode: Alpha

Pixel Shader: A shader with alphatest... or is it alphablend.. can't remember off the top of my head.

STS - Scarlet Thread Studios

AKA: Engineer Ken

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!

Alpha test will give full transparency on anything set over a certain transparency but is cheaper to process, you need to use alpha blend if you want true graduated transparency

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

Alpha test will give full transparency on anything set over a certain transparency but is cheaper to process, you need to use alpha blend if you want true graduated transparency

Cheers couldn't quite remember while at work. So For a leaf you would probably use alphatest because its either a leaf or not... Unless you have translucent leaves

STS - Scarlet Thread Studios

AKA: Engineer Ken

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!

Yeah I found the material docs and was able to use alpha test. Now that I figured out the pipeline, I can use it just as fast and just as well as anything. Thanks :(

• 2 weeks later...

I too find this information helpful but am still stuck due to not being able to locate the generate mip map button in adobe photoshop elements 9, or with the make DDL application.

I am probably missing something obviose,but any help would be greatly appriaciated.

Does the make DDL application need internet access to work fully, cuase otherwise all it does for me is make the DDL file that the editor does not even recognize as being there, and the 3d world editor shows as black.

"You know what the differance between you and me really is?

You look out there and see a horde of evil, brain-eating zombies.

I look out there and see a target-rich environment."

Dillis D. Freeman, jr.

Yep thats the one.

Okay found it now, Thanks a ton!

I will have to experiment with this a bit now and figure out how it works, and once again thank you.

"You know what the differance between you and me really is?

You look out there and see a horde of evil, brain-eating zombies.

I look out there and see a target-rich environment."

Dillis D. Freeman, jr.