Ocean submarine test

shadmar

Your ocean water is starting to look really sweet, shadmar! Awesome! biggrin.png

So, do the waves affect the boat? smile.png?

Nice work!

ZBrush 4R7 64-bit - 3DCoat 4.5 BETA 12 - Fl Studio 12 64Bit - LE 3.2 Indie version - Truespace 7 - Blender 2.71 - iClone 5.51 Pro - iClone 3DXChange 5.51 pipeline - Kontakt 5 - Bryce 7 - UU3D Pro - Substance Designer/Painter - Shadermap 3 - PaintShop Photo Pro X7 - Hexagon - Audacity - Gimp 2.8 - Vue 2015 - Reaktor 5 - Guitar Rig 5 - Bitmap2Material 3

Really nice work shadmar. This is just looking better and better!

So, do the waves affect the boat? smile.png?

If buoyancy is set then no reason why not. ref: SetBodyBuoyancyMode

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

Guest Red Ocktober

HEAVEN... I"M IN HEAVEN....

Hey Mike, can I borrow one of your pro subs ?

definitely... the type XXIII Uboat is on its way...

that looks absolutely fantastic!!!

--Mike

Thanks, and I doubt objects will interact with waves unless SetBodyBuoyancyMode can read values from the GPU, there is no CPU work here, the CPU considers the ocean as a flat 128x128 vertex plane. Everything is done in GPU... So buoyancy needs to be scripted/programmed I think.

Silent before the storm!!

LE_ocean4.jpg

• Upvote 1

HP Omen - 16GB - i7 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB

At Night with Mike Type23 luring in a pack smile.png

I'll share it in the asset store (free), but I want to try to get some foam and shore foam, and maybe som refraction in first + about 30 tunable parameters in the lua dialog.

LE_ocean5.jpg

Thanks, and I doubt objects will interact with waves unless SetBodyBuoyancyMode can read values from the GPU, there is no CPU work here, the CPU considers the ocean as a flat 128x128 vertex plane. Everything is done in GPU... So buoyancy needs to be scripted/programmed I think.

Josh might need to comment on this as his example worked with buoyancy but then I have no idea how his was implemented.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

The normalmap needs some work, as you can clearly see the pixels (especially where the bright spots are).

How is the shader doing when you calculate the Gerstner waves on the gpu for all the vertices? i can imagine, that doing so on a large grid will not be very well performing. (did you recognise a fps drop?)

Guest Red Ocktober

@Pixel..

buoyancy should still work for any object that is below the waterplane (waterheight) and has a positive buoyancy... i think he was saying that the wave action will have no effect on the object... the object won't bob and roll in the waves...

@Ghandi...

yeah, the normalmaps on the sub migth need a lil work... but from my experiences, the pixelation you're seeing is the result of a high settings for the directional lights... i've found that toning the color values down a bit helps with this...

@Shad...

your ocean makes my subs looks great happy.png

can't wait to get my hands on this...

--Mike

@roland.. lol I hope you find your socks :)

@Gandi thx for the feedback, I haven't tried tiling it yet, but I guess you could cull the tiles. 32k osn't that much so I guess you could deploy a larger mesh.

@Mike I thought my ocean looked great with your sub in it :)

@Pixel..

buoyancy should still work for any object that is below the waterplane (waterheight) and has a positive buoyancy... i think he was saying that the wave action will have no effect on the object... the object won't bob and roll in the waves...

Yeah, I understood what he was saying and the reasons why. But Josh managed to make objects bob in the water following the wave movement. I can't imagine he was modulating the plane using the CPU as I'm pretty sure it was shader driven but I was hoping he might shed some light on how he achieved this. You could throw barrels or wood into the sea and they moved with the waves, so the physics engine was picking that data up from somewhere.

I just calculated the wave height at the object's position. I didn't have to calculate the whole ocean field, just the height at the position I was interested in.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Buoyancy to match wave motion was why I was asking about calculating amplitude and normal for a given point in his video showcase. If you can match two points approx to match the mean wave height you can at least make it look convincing.

Imagine a Zebra crossing (road markings with evenly spaced stripes) and you throw a number of sticks (importantly of the same length as the gap between stripes) to land randomly, there's a common distribution pattern of sticks with one end on a stripe and another on no-stripe. I forget the name for this but you mathematical types should recognise it. I saw Johnny Ball demonstrate in a studio once. But I would think the same thing applies to a long boat and a wave of known frequency, since your models and setup of the waves are known values a little bit of fudging could make it look convincing for little effort.

And another thumbs up on the progress.

6600 2.4G / GTX 460 280.26 / 4GB Windows 7

Author: GROME Terrain Modeling for Unity, UDK, Ogre3D from PackT

Tricubic Studios Ltd. ~ Combat Helo

Thanks.

I think it's more on the side than below, you give the GPU some data and then you can control them in shader language.

But I think it's a one way ticket, once your data is sendt to the GPU, there is no coming back to CPU to perform physics, but I'm no expert.

Anyway trying some foam on the waves based on vertex y, not entirly happy, seem abit un-natural in movement.

LE_ocean6.jpg

That would be metaphorically speaking 'the icing on the cake'. Not quite there, as you say, but not far off. Amazing! I can see LE3 adopting this!

Yeah I'm not pursuing perfect foam, but another problem, not actually perfect tile match...

LE_ocean8.jpg

But anyway.. Just the lua controls to go and I can upload it as an alpha test ocean to get some feedback...

Mikes sub luring about in the sunset :

LE_ocean7.jpg

• Upvote 1