Leadwerks Phong

ParaToxic

Hey I made a model for some tests in Cinema4D and exported it in FBX to LE.But now my problem is that LE haven't got phong angle limit ,so you can't see the corners of some parts of the model.

Is there a way to fix that or use the phong informations of the FBX file?

Here some facts :)

C4D:post-2191-0-31451100-1335980596_thumb.jpg

LE:post-2191-0-84934200-1335980611_thumb.jpg

and a test with a model where you can see a phong error:post-2191-0-59303700-1335980647_thumb.jpg

I hope you can help me

easiest fix that should work in C4D since it works in other 3d modeling apps is to just add a small chamfered/beveled edge... but if you have uu3d then you can just select the object and use 3D Tools>AutoSmooth Faces...>Face normal

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

Have you tried Lord Hippos Crysis shaders? I'm not sure if that is your issue but his shader makes all the geometry in Leadwerks have lots more contrast in the way it is lit.

Core I5 2.67 / 16GB RAM / GTX 670

Zbrush/ Blender / Photoshop CS6 / Renoise / Genetica / Leadwerks 3

I use the shader ,but it is a SSAO shader,which makes corners a little bit darker like in the real world.It think the problem is that the cinema4D phong tag is a kind of deformer and will not be saved in the FBX or the other formats.

@saboteur:

can I send you a model with the phong problem and you convert it in UU3D like you made with you models ,because I haven't UU3D and when it works well I will buy it.Would be nice biggrin.png

test.zip

Blender has a "shade smooth" and "shade solid" buttons but I dunno if it exports that. UU3D is amazing, you really should buy that. It is totally worth it.

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 gigs ram, 3.30GHz Quad Core, GeForce GTX 460 one gig, Leadwerks 2.5, Blender 2.62, Photoshop CS3, UU3D

• 5 years later...

I would recommend looking at what weighted vertex normals are. You can achieve weighted vertex normals in pretty much any modelling package.

As a quick explanation each vertex has a normal (some modelling programs give each face it's own smoothing group which ends up giving you triple the vertices you actually have (triple the normals too, remember every vertex has a normal), to stop this you can put every face of your model in one smoothing group). Weighted vertex normals basically uses the area (the area being referred to as the "weight") of a face to shift the normal of the vertex. This provides a more pleasing look for shading on your models faces. You can use weighted vertex normals to fake rounded edges without adding extra geometry to your model by optionally baking the results to a normal map.

There is slightly more to it than I explained above but to get the general gist of how it works the above explanation should give you a quick idea :)

Here is some images:

Blender:

ynwmwTa.png

Leadwerks:

ACecldw.png

• Like 1

This is all about smoothing groups. Edge loops aren't for the game ready model. That would be for a high poly model that you bake the normal map onto a low poly one.

I had problems with LE importing smoothing groups First in MODO 8 not importing but newer version 11 its working again. I'm also now using Akeytsu for animation in which the groups does not import into Leadwerks. I have to use the model editor calculate angle option which is bad for characters or anything other than simple shapes. Thing is the same models export and smoothing groups come across perfectly in other game engines and have always done so.

If your using Substance Designer for baking it has become really good at baking a model with a mixture of hard and soft edges. After all that work preparing, baking etc  the final result still wont appear in LE correctly because of smoothing groups.

A mainly an artist this has been a real frustrating problem. My bug post about it is buried so deep not even I can't find it. Here is an image of the comparison of smoothing groups. see how the armour has nice hard edges directly from exporting, and leadwerks does not.

sg.png

• Upvote 1
trindieprod.png?dl=0spacer.png?dl=0steam-icon.png?dl=0twitter-icon.png?dl=0spacer.png?dl=0

@tjheldna this might be of interested to you. Since MODO 10 they added extra tools (vertex normal toolkit) that allows you to do exactly what I mentioned above. Might be worth a shot baking the results of the weighted normals into a normal map and using that inside Leadwerks so you get those nice edges you can see in Unity into Leadwerks. 

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 4:48 AM, tjheldna said:

This is all about smoothing groups. Edge loops aren't for the game ready model. That would be for a high poly model that you bake the normal map onto a low poly one.

I had problems with LE importing smoothing groups First in MODO 8 not importing but newer version 11 its working again. I'm also now using Akeytsu for animation in which the groups does not import into Leadwerks. I have to use the model editor calculate angle option which is bad for characters or anything other than simple shapes. Thing is the same models export and smoothing groups come across perfectly in other game engines and have always done so.

If your using Substance Designer for baking it has become really good at baking a model with a mixture of hard and soft edges. After all that work preparing, baking etc  the final result still wont appear in LE correctly because of smoothing groups.

A mainly an artist this has been a real frustrating problem. My bug post about it is buried so deep not even I can't find it. Here is an image of the comparison of smoothing groups. see how the armour has nice hard edges directly from exporting, and leadwerks does not.

sg.png

Please post a sample file for me to test if you would like this looked at.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Okay, this file gives me something concrete to work with. We load either binary or Ascii files, so I am just working with the binary file.

3ds max:
max.jpg.2fa96eaa1061ff011e6b5341a1a3f2b2.jpg

LE:

le.jpg.7f80d9357ed6846ee32d71cb5bc4a2db.jpg

I will send this off to Brad for him to look at. Thanks!

• Like 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.