LE3 Release date when..?

I am preparing to test LE3, yesterday I started making a reference framework from standard libraries, which I can then use to identify LE3 specific issues and provide feature requests which I already know how to implement.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

So as a source owner you get early access? Or is Josh releasing a beta soon? Or are you just preparing for a beta release?

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 gigs ram, 3.30GHz Quad Core, GeForce GTX 460 one gig, Leadwerks 2.5, Blender 2.62, Photoshop CS3, UU3D

That's a bit difficult question to answer, because different people understand different things as a beta smile.png

LE2 had a turbulent development anyway, because it was first released as a completely rewritten LE1 engine, and then again in LE2.1 it was rewritten again to be a deferred renderer. It was a learning process for everyone, and deferred rendering was found out to be the best solution at that time, however modern engines have hybrid forward/deferred rendering also, because although deferred rendering can handle much more content, it also lacks of features which forward rendering can do, of which OpenGL 4 brings back a few features to deferred rendering.

LE3 is a modern engine, and it brings back forward rendering as an option also, and even null rendering, which allows it to run on every toaster. I don't think it has hybrid forward/deferred rendering though, but that might come in future also.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

For the record, "hybrid" forward-deferred rendering is not "modern". It's a half-baked technique for slow hardware. For rendering, we're focusing on mobile-level graphics across all platforms for the initial release, since the art pipeline and gameplay features are the real point of the new software. That was something I misunderestimated the importance of in LE2.

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

So PC's will have mobile level graphics? We are not getting the dynamic day-night system, the OpenGL 5 tessellation, post processing effects, scalability across all platforms, just mobile graphics? I guess that's ok, we can develop our games and then add on the advanced graphics later. Better wait three months, get LE3, design a game for 3 months and get high end graphics then wait 6 months for LE3 to come out with the high end graphics. But still, this is a little disappointing.

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 gigs ram, 3.30GHz Quad Core, GeForce GTX 460 one gig, Leadwerks 2.5, Blender 2.62, Photoshop CS3, UU3D

The point of Leadwerks3D is to make a game engine with a really easy to use editor, a framework for game interactions, and support for mobile. I already know how to do high-end graphics, and they can be added on later, but a good foundation has to be in place first. I don't want to make another high-end renderer only a few people can use.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Yeah but don't forget, people use Leadwerks BECAUSE of the high end graphics. Will LE3 have a good terrain system? Will it render models as nicely as LE2? These are also things I consider really important, almost as much as a good art pipeline and game interaction framework. Your vegetation system is the best I have seen for indies. Will LE have that? I picked LE mostly on the terrain system, and lighting, and would be quite sad if we lost that, however a better art pipeline and game interaction framework would make me really happy. As long as you are not making LE3 a mobile engine with Desktop tacked on like Shiva and Unity, I think many of us will consider it money well spent.

If the roadmap remains unchanged the first drop of LE3 will not even have terrain.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

No terrain? Please be kidding. I don't want LE3 to be a mobile engine with desktop tacked on. It should be a desktop engine that can downscale to mobile.

No terrain? Please be kidding. I don't want LE3 to be a mobile engine with desktop tacked on. It should be a desktop engine that can downscale to mobile.

If you're serious about making games, mobile is where all the opportunity is. You can release an okayish game on PC and you won't even be able to give it away. Release the same game for mobile and you're a superstar.

I'm still building the engine to be scalable, because I want to return to high-end PC graphics, but trying to make a business on that alone will fail.

If you're serious about making games, mobile is where all the opportunity is. You can release an okayish game on PC and you won't even be able to give it away. Release the same game for mobile and you're a superstar.

Mobile is where I expect most of our sales to come from, based on the feedback I've gotten so far. I'm still building the engine to be scalable, because I want to return to high-end PC graphics, but trying to make a business on that alone will fail.

Yay! And thus, Leadwerks died to profit.

I agree Josh. Right now everyone is throwing money away at apps and games on their phones. Many people don't buy so many games for pc. The thing is more people buy stuff on mobile, rather than a few buying PC. Most games that really get sold on PC are indie games that have gained some fame, or games that are made by big developers and publishers. But they use custom build next-gen engines. Ones that far exceed any available now. And chances are they might not even release the engine afterwards. With mobile gaming almost all recent 3d engines look great on mobile.

Win7 64bit, Leadwerks SDK 2.5, Visual Studio 2012, 3DWS, 3ds Max, Photoshop CS5.

Life is too short to remove USB safely.

Heh heh, I was actually hoping for LE2 terrain with thousands of trees to work on mobile ;)

Mobile is where I plan to develop for. The money, unless you have a team, in in mobile. Alone, you have like a 1 in a 1000 chance of making much money on PC. However I don't want PC to be overlooked, because PC is way more fun to develop for.

Yay! And thus, Leadwerks died to profit.

You can't make a 3D engine nowadays and not support mobile. That would be ignoring 90% of indie devs. The best I can do is use sales of the mobile licenses to support development of the high-end features.
Heh heh, I was actually hoping for LE2 terrain with thousands of trees to work on mobile

That's likely to be possible in the future.

Will we be able to develop for iPhone on PC and then compile and build the app on a Mac? Cause I can't afford a Mac, but I can use a friends macbook to build apps.

Will we be able to develop for iPhone on PC and then compile and build the app on a Mac? Cause I can't afford a Mac, but I can use a friends macbook to build apps.

Yes.