Strange LinePick

Hisashimaru

I get a similar result, where it appears to fail to pick the terrain in places where there is obviously terrain. I had a quick look at your code and it appeared to be ok, I might have just used CameraPick to achieve the same though. Not sure what is going on here unless it is a bug.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

I don't know how the terrain system works. But on the off chance it uses Newton:

What is the world size?

Is the point on the terrain inside the world boundary?

Does the raycast start inside the world boundary?

Does the raycast end inside the world boundary?

The first two of those are the most crucial, as only bodies inside the world can trigger the (hidden) "prefilter" and "process hit" callbacks.

LE Version: 2.50 (Eventually)

Is this the terrain bug?

Because the Raycast does't pick only terrain surface.

I get a similar result, where it appears to fail to pick the terrain in places where there is obviously terrain. I had a quick look at your code and it appeared to be ok, I might have just used CameraPick to achieve the same though. Not sure what is going on here unless it is a bug.

Thank you for check CameraPick's result.

I don't know how the terrain system works. But on the off chance it uses Newton:

What is the world size?

Is the point on the terrain inside the world boundary?

Does the raycast start inside the world boundary?

Does the raycast end inside the world boundary?

The first two of those are the most crucial, as only bodies inside the world can trigger the (hidden) "prefilter" and "process hit" callbacks.

I used LinePick under those conditions. but result is same.

That's good to know, so we should not rely on any single ray cast to detect structure, there ideally needs to be a spread. Shame the radius option was never implemented as I believe that would have done just this.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

It happens when your picking around 0° & 180°, I remember posting this as a bug a long time ago and that it was logged. But since then the bug reporting changed & it's not listed anymore. From your clip this looks the same issue? not that it's between triangles. Picking also passes through some models or selects the model when it's not at the pick point, but this may be an issue with the model & not the pick function as it seems to be specific models that it occurs. Test displaying the angle of the camera & if you see that it is 0° & 180° to confirm, then it may be a simple fix for Josh?

• 2 weeks later...