Leadwerks3D networking? What there is currently? What's planned for the future?

that's exactly what you said...

on page 3...

Dx7 era Windows might run on a system with a minimal card, using the GDI to draw the various windows elements... but It won't run a directx7 game on that same system... dx7 wouldn't automatically fall back to anything and run...

Reversii and the card game are dx7 games... no DX7 graphics are capable without a capable gpu... period..

it doesn't fall back... and DX7 is not a wrapper for the GDI...

--Mike

Wait wait wait. All this time you insult me, and you're taking a post that was in the context of a DirectDraw conversation and applying it to mean DirectX 7 as a whole? Are you serious? All those childish remarks from you. All the insults. And you take something from one context and supplant it into another? Are you kidding me?

Of course Direct3D doesn't have a GDI fallback renderer! I have never said such and I never will. You took what I said COMPLETELY out of context.

• Upvote 1

There are three types of people in this world. People who make things happen. People who watch things happen. People who ask, "What happened?"

Let's make things happen.

Guest Red Ocktober
Wait wait wait. All this time you insult me, and you're taking a post that was in the context of a DirectDraw conversation and applying it to mean DirectX 7 as a whole?

well what other component of DirectX could you possibly be referring to...

jeeez, what tangent are you heading off on now...

Of course Direct3D doesn't have a GDI fallback renderer!

FINALLLLLLYYYYY!!!

now lets let the networking discussion continue without anymore of this foolishness...

PLEASE...

--Mike

well what other component of DirectX could you possibly be referring to...

jeeez, what tangent are you heading off on now...

FINALLLLLLYYYYY!!!

now lets let the networking discussion continue without anymore of this foolishness...

PLEASE...

--Mike

You are aware that DirectDraw and Direct3D are two completely different things, right? At least as far as DirectX 7 is concerned.

He walks into a conversation about DirectDraw, starts arguing about Direct3D without letting anyone know, and I'm the one on a tangent. I'm the foolish one here. Keep throwing the insults.

There are three types of people in this world. People who make things happen. People who watch things happen. People who ask, "What happened?"

Guest Red Ocktober

oh god... so now you're gonna try to come up with something that'll make it seem like the GDI is a fallback for Direct3D...

jeeeez... i don't believe you...

listen... i think i've played around with you long enough... you're becoming more than pedantic, i'm sorry to say it, but...

never mind...

the facts have been made plain to anyone who is willing to accept em... you can continue babbling if you want, but i'm done with this...

out of consideration for the other people here who have something to say on the networking discussion, and seeing that you're gonna continue to refuse to acknowledge the facts, even when the docs (which you were making such a big deal about) makes it clear to you what they are... i think that any further discussion on this is pointless...

please let the thread continue...

--Mike

oh god... so now you're gonna try to come up with something that'll make it seem like the GDI is a fallback for Direct3D...

Of course I'm not. Nor was I ever doing so to begin with. I was talking about DirectDraw which has been stated ENDLESSLY throughout this thread.

Does anyone else see the problem here? :)

He's arguing about a system in DirectX that is completely irrelevant to the conversation. He insults me, mocks me or otherwise baits me in every post he makes. I have documented proof FROM THE SDK, and I'm the fool. I'm the one he constantly insults. I've insulted him ONE time, after watching him start in on rick in another thread.

I love coming here, but this is not worth the frustration. Am I supposed to just let it go? We have a lot of people on these forums who are just beginning in their programming career. Am i supposed to just let them stumble on information like this and let them think it's legit/correct? I argue because I care.

However, this is just ridiculous. He's now twisting my words and transplanting anything I say into a different context. I'm tired of being insulted. I'm tired of being mocked. I'm tired of being belittled and treated like an imbocile. I'm not trying to be dramatic, but why should I put up with this?

To be fair the subject of Brents argument has always been Direct Draw and specifically prior to DirectX8 so any attempt to imply otherwise is not factual. However, to also be fair, this argument has completely high jacked Game Producers thread and perhaps in deference to him should now be wound up.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

Guest Red Ocktober

hey Pix...

i really hate to perpetuate this foolishness, and i agree with you... the poor guy who has started the thread is the real loser here...

but you make it seem that in some way Brent is being afforded a level of "fair"ness... with this i must raise exception to...

Brent was the one who interject Direct3D into the conversation... not me... prior to that, there was no mention of Direct3D... look at the posts...

on page 2 he the one who says...

Later versions of DirectX rewrote DirectDraw as a wrapper around Direct3D.
With the release of DirectX 8 DirectDraw was rewritten to run on top of (or as part of, as the details are a bit sketchy) Direct3D.

on page 4 he says...

DirectDraw was completely rewritten to run on top of Direct3D.
Later versions of DirectX rewrote DirectDraw as a wrapper around Direct3D.

now even if i give him the benefit of the doubt on everything that he says above... he still has a miscomprehension of the facts...

he says "DirectDraw was completely rewritten to run on top of Direct3D", and where he says "Later versions of DirectX rewrote DirectDraw as a wrapper around Direct3D." shows that he just doesn't know what he's talking about...

the unassailable facts are:

As of DirectX version 8.0, DirectDraw was merged into a new package called DirectX Graphics, which is really just Direct3D with a few DirectDraw API additions. DirectDraw can still be used by programmers, but they must use older DirectX interfaces (DirectX 7 and below). As of the release of the June 2010 DirectX SDK package, the DirectDraw header file and library are no longer included.

so you, and anyone else can see that there is no wrapping of anything, and no running on top of anything...

the bottom line is that Brent simply doesn't know what he's talking about... he's one of these new age experts, pontificating false assertions, based partially on what he reads but doesn't really understand... and i think, based partially on the need to appear as someone who is an authority on the subject...

i seriously doubt if he actually has any hands on experience writing directX code, and i'm sure he has none writing directx 7 code... i say this because no experienced dx coder would even suggest the nonsense he suggests and argues... and even the most inexperienced DX coder would see through his veil of miscomprehension...

to be even more fair to him... even if you omit all references to Direct3D from this discussion, his statements and assertions would still show his total miscomprehension of the facts...

i was programming using the old WinG api as far back as 1995 (the precursor to what eventually became DirectX), and even though i sorta have some idea of what i'm babbling about here, i wouldn't even pretend to present myself as a definitive source of knowledge on the subject...

what was Brent he doing back in 1995...

he's wrong on every single point he's trying to make in order to validate his assertions... not because i say so... but because the facts say so... the references say so... the docs in the SDK say so...

he can either accept the truth of the matter, and learn the facts of what he is talking about... or he can continue to exist in a world of self deprecating delusions... that's his choice...

but to suggest that he is being treated unfairly here... well, that's simply not true... and i'm not gonna subscribe to that in any way...

now can we let this foolishness end...

--Mike

• Upvote 1

Well we could argue all day as to exactly what Brent was trying to infer as it does differ quite considerably in definition from one post to another as you point out. However, I see no evidence that DirectDraw ever wrapped GDI in the true sense of a wrapper which is what he originally stated on page 1 and is, I appreciate, the basis of your response Mike.

There are however ways of confronting and illuminating peoples mistaken or erroneous statements without getting personal and insulting people. Your approach here seems a little venomous and I wonder if there is indeed more behind this than is obvious in this thread. Anyway, it's not my place to judge I'm simply making an observation. Both of you are grown men and capable of defending your own corner.

Back to the main topic ....

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

Hmm, I started to wonder how on earth this could work on mobiles too. Is networking planned only for Windows environment? Or can you somehow magically use it for mobile stuff.. huh.png

Intel Dual Core 3GHz / GeForce GTS 450 - 1024 MB / Driver ver 267.59 / 8 GB RAM / Win 7 - 64 bit / LE2.50 / BMAX 1.48

game producer blog - Dead Wake Zombie Game powered by Leadwerks Engine

Twitter - Unfollow me

I have been working every day a bit on Fastnet, because I want to finish it. Yesterday I found out that including the .a file into BlitzMax works only half-way. So now I'm first finishing the C/C++ version, and then I have to do it with native BlitzMax commands, which unfortunately needs a DLL too. So no single exe fun for BlitzMax users, like for C++ users.

That's actually the same pattern how Leadwerks3D will be. Single exe for C++, DLLs for any other language.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Interesting, somehow I could not include general .a files, perhaps because they were not compiled with the -static linker option into BlitzMax. I could use my own C++ as a .a file in BlitzMax, but as soon I called embedded .a files, BlitzMax behaved very wierdly, while the same program in C++ only complained that for example ws2_32.a was not linked (=undefined references).

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Networking on mobile is currently possible, but most people who play games on mobile are so-called "casual gamers" and play games to kill 5 minutes, not to sit down for 10 minutes to find someone online to play with. At its current state networking on mobile is not really a good idea.

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 gigs ram, 3.30GHz Quad Core, GeForce GTX 460 one gig, Leadwerks 2.5, Blender 2.62, Photoshop CS3, UU3D

I disagree. I think as developers we have to think about how our game networks differently. My wife plays and loves that Word with Friends or whatever it is. She's still able to do her move across 4 different games in 5 mins then forget about it for hours. I think that model work really well for the mobile world because of the short bursts people generally play mobile games. I was thinking of adapting this with my turn based game I was working on.