The Ocean thread (the new one)

shadmar

Here is a couple of shots of the shader using FFT vertexdata (Josh kindly borrowed me a dataset)

It still struggles from interpolation issues either in data or conversion, so I'll post a vid later if I get rid of the issues (..and if Josh allows it)

LE_fft1.jpg

LE_fft2.jpg

• Upvote 1

HP Omen - 16GB - i7 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB

*holding a droolbucket while speaking*

Reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllly sweeeeeeeeeett, shadmar! Can't believe my eyes. blink.pngtongue.png

ZBrush 4R7 64-bit - 3DCoat 4.5 BETA 12 - Fl Studio 12 64Bit - LE 3.2 Indie version - Truespace 7 - Blender 2.71 - iClone 5.51 Pro - iClone 3DXChange 5.51 pipeline - Kontakt 5 - Bryce 7 - UU3D Pro - Substance Designer/Painter - Shadermap 3 - PaintShop Photo Pro X7 - Hexagon - Audacity - Gimp 2.8 - Vue 2015 - Reaktor 5 - Guitar Rig 5 - Bitmap2Material 3

Looking forward to seeing a video assuming you manage to solve the issues. From what I've seen in the past FFT appears to give the most realistic looking waves. Nice work yet again!

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

That's what happens when you have a really really high refraction level, things start looking like bubbly glass. I think the wave area is much too big, but I look forward to trying it myself. Sometimes it's really good to have a second set of eyes on these kinds of things.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Yeah I thought about the wave area is too big, The glassy effect is the refraction normals are 8x surface normals, and it looks wierd on the picture, but it doesn't look that bad when it's in movement.

I will try out with smaller wave area, this way it should move better/faster without looking unnatural and I don't have to interpolate every other frame.

Guest Red Ocktober

i think the wave area is perfect... just allow the end developer to be able to adjust the reflection/refraction levels...

right now i think it (the stills) looks better than any ocean water we've had in Leadwerks...

i've managed to tile 9 of the last version in a clumsy infinite ocean, and it runs ok on a low end Leadwerks capable machine here, so performance is good so far...

--Mike

Guest Red Ocktober

i would've imagined that this was closer to what was trying to be emulated in the screenies above...

--Mike

Guest Red Ocktober

great... now it's gonna take me twice as many tiles to get an infinite ocean working...wink.png (just kidding)

how much reduction in size from old mesh...

LeadwerksFogSkipjack2.jpg?psid=1

new sub WIP in your last version with tiled ocean meshes...

--Mike

it's 32x32 meters but they should be perfectly tileable, the fft data set is not something I'm releasing, I guess maybe Josh will use some of it in LE3 with tesselation or an adaptive mesh or something.

Here is the vid :

• Upvote 1

I had a go at this earlier. My main changes were I lowered the amount of sky reflection, increased the contrast of the direct lighting, made the specular reflection more focused, and got rid of the rough appearance of the surface.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I had a go at this earlier. My main changes were I lowered the amount of sky reflection, increased the contrast of the direct lighting, made the specular reflection more focused, and got rid of the rough appearance of the surface.

and it looks like what?

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

Real looking water looks much more boring than game-waters, so I think it's a matter of what you want it to look like.

Google ocean pictures and you see what I mean, google ocean 3d fft and you'll see simulated water/oceans.

If it's windy it gets noisy, if there is no wind, you have that glossy water game effect.

So what's your favorite color? :)