The Ocean thread (the new one)

shadmar

Guest Red Ocktober

oh noooooooo... you let Josh stick his fingers in your ocean!!!

and it was coming along so nicely... biggrin.png

--Mike

the original Gerstner ocean is still coming as in the video in the first post. smile.png

I'd be very happy with that :)

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

It was the first time I got to see our wave data in-game. Thanks Shadmar, for your help. Still needs a lot of tweaking, but I am confident we can have awesome ocean water in Leadwerks3D. Plus, it looks like you will soon have better ocean water in LE2 thanks to Shadmar.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Guest Red Ocktober

looking really good so far Shad...

one thing... the view distance seems to function differently from the previous version... the patch pops in and out when moving towards and away from it...

i've changed the view distance in the editor, but it seems to have no effect...

also

it seems as if distance fog isn't affecting the water...

i'm looking into both issues now to validate or if i am causing em...

otherwise... i'm going with this...

oh yeah, THANKS... needless to say, you're in my will...

--Mike

The viewdistance can't be altered in the usual way, since it's a transparencyworld mesh I can't parent it to the entity without it bleeding.

So we need to increase the aabb around it. I can make a slider for that. And update it in the UpdateMatrix().

About the fog.. I need to look into that one. Thx.

needless to say, you're in my will...

HP Omen - 16GB - i7 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB

Fixed both and reuppped, but they have their own sliders in the Ocean object.

If you set fog in the atmosphere object also set same values here in the ocean object, maybe abit brighter..

LE_gerstnerfog.jpg

• Upvote 1

Guest Red Ocktober

whoa... that was quick biggrin.png looking at it now...

get right back to ya...

****added*****

that seems to do it... everything lookin' good...

LeadwerksFogSkipjack3.jpg?psid=1

here's a quickee... the visibility and the fog are working fine...

fog just a tad brighter, but no problem using settings to get the right mix...

--Mike

• Upvote 2

Wow, I finally tried this out. The screenshots do not do it justice. This is the best ocean water I've ever seen, in any game or demo.

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Wow thanks, now that will certainly boost my confidence smile.png

But it still suffers from not being tilable and would probably look better using a reflection camara instead of a cube reflection

Maybe if if put on an adaptive mesh and using hw tessalation with some FFT ripple waves it could be great,

@Mike, great shot!

Really sweeeeeeeeet stuff, shadmar! Absolutely loving this ocean shader. smile.png

Would be totally awesome if it had underwater effects. wink.png

Maybe something you'll add later?

Nice work, man! Thanks.

Cheers

ZBrush 4R7 64-bit - 3DCoat 4.5 BETA 12 - Fl Studio 12 64Bit - LE 3.2 Indie version - Truespace 7 - Blender 2.71 - iClone 5.51 Pro - iClone 3DXChange 5.51 pipeline - Kontakt 5 - Bryce 7 - UU3D Pro - Substance Designer/Painter - Shadermap 3 - PaintShop Photo Pro X7 - Hexagon - Audacity - Gimp 2.8 - Vue 2015 - Reaktor 5 - Guitar Rig 5 - Bitmap2Material 3

Wow thanks, now that will certainly boost my confidence smile.png

But it still suffers from not being tilable and would probably look better using a reflection camara instead of a cube reflection

Maybe if if put on an adaptive mesh and using hw tessalation with some FFT ripple waves it could be great,

@Mike, great shot!

I assume you can get a wave height for any XZ point, right? So just get the vertex global position, calculate the height, and all your tiles will line up to each other, because they are all using the same equation.

Here, I'm not a coder but I think I can help out with a foam texture which is less tiling. smile.png

EDIT: Meehh, have problems with recording it as an animation. With my movie .lua to record a fly-through the ocean just does nothing and sits still. :( :(

Ideas on it?

Movie link: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11571919/Ocean_Problem_Movie.avi

https://dl.dropbox.c...19/foam_new.zip

post-6-0-91502300-1341322347_thumb.jpg

Pure3d Visualizations Germany - digital essences

AAA 3D Model Shop specialized on nature and environments

Wow that is one really epic scene :-)

I don't know what could cause the ocean to stop animating except if you somehow override apptime variable wich the vertexshader reads to animate the ocean.

Thx for the foam I will check it out.

Would be nice if a slider for "foam-size" would be there too. So the area or foam where it hits the beach or is near an object could be made bigger by the user.

Maybe blending two layers of foam together with different textures and moving will bring some more realism into it. :)

Pure3d Visualizations Germany - digital essences

AAA 3D Model Shop specialized on nature and environments