The Ocean thread (the new one)

shadmar

You can do cubemap reflection already, (cubemap blend). Refraction, depends what you want, softness controls the amount of refraction, the normalmap controls the amount of refraction distortion.

HP Omen - 16GB - i7 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB

Thanks for the update.

I made a new wavemap for it which is more smooth and not so rippled.More a matter of taste. :)

post-6-0-13165100-1341575977_thumb.jpg

One small wish: Is it possible to let the foam scroll a bit because if a wave raises and lowers the foam always appears at the same place again so it looks a bit static.

post-6-0-83279000-1341576191_thumb.jpg

Pure3d Visualizations Germany - digital essences

AAA 3D Model Shop specialized on nature and environments

That is looking very nice Michael. The foam looks photo realistic now and I like the new wavemap.

I feel a little sorry for shadmar .... it's not so much he's created a monster he can't control so much as he's created a monster everyone else wants to control wink.png I feel by the time this process is complete the water's going to splash out of the screen and soak me biggrin.png

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

Guest Red Ocktober

right now i'm just doing mockups with the new ocean water to get that "perfect" mix of settings... but so far, it's greatly exceeded my expectations...

LeadwerksFogSkipjack6.jpg?psid=1

maybe when i get a lil more skilled with art and scenery composition i'll become more demanding... but for now, for me... this looks just fine...

great job Shad...

--Mike

That is looking very nice Michael. The foam looks photo realistic now and I like the new wavemap.

I feel a little sorry for shadmar .... it's not so much he's created a monster he can't control so much as he's created a monster everyone else wants to control wink.png I feel by the time this process is complete the water's going to splash out of the screen and soak me biggrin.png

It's always good to get a second set of eyes on your work. Sometimes when you focus on something so long, you can't see it the same way others do.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

It's always good to get a second set of eyes on your work. Sometimes when you focus on something so long, you can't see it the same way others do.

That is so true.

@Red Nice scene there too

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

One easy improvement would be to have a color for shallow water, a color for deep water, and a depth value that controls how it changes. Shallow ocean water is usually turquoise, changing to deep blue as it gets deeper:

blueholelg.jpg

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

@Michael, Thx for the new texture, looks way better than mine. (can I use your textures in the next update?)

Also it sounds like a good idea to scroll it slightly.

If we had two normal textures we could switch and blend back and forth every second or so.

@pixel don't feel sorry for me, the only way to improve is through constructive feedback. Without some sort of audience it gets boring pretty fast. No challenge then :)

@Josh, I like the idea, I have explore that one.

But i'm vacating in Denmark for a while so I'll have a look when I get back.

I also have some ideas on how to solve tiling.

HP Omen - 16GB - i7 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB

No, they are simple meshes made with Sculptris. Now I also tested terrain texturing and painting, and it's amazingly easy also to do, and you have infinite "terrain layers". The different terrain meshes melt quite nicely together, because sculptis uses very balanced triangle distribution, while leaving the polycount pretty low too:

post-2-0-46389600-1341948804_thumb.png

Interesting next would be to make some sculpted water object smile.png

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Texturing is really fun in Sculptris, because you can seamlessly rotate, scale and smear the texture, and also recolor it on top. I think this a good proof of concept that sculpted terrains work quite well, and bring more powerful features than 2D heightmap terrains. On top of that I think sculpted terrains even render faster, because you can occlude parts of the terrain by using seperate models:

post-2-0-75706900-1341956879_thumb.png

Yes, chunking seems to be important for mesh terrains. Damn, I knew Josh would delete my posts, because he thinks it's "derailing". I was aware of that, and tried to make an Article (=User Tutorial) about mesh terrains, but the damn IPboard software is always buggy somewhere. I noticed that with a single terrain mesh, the 4096 res is still not high enough, so one should use smaller terrain chunks, and maybe one global flat ground to guide the composition.

EDIT: Hmm, I think IPBoard had some rollback, because also status messages were deleted.