.fbx to gmf filesize 1k

ChrisMAN

Is the .gmf correct? Is there a problem? I think .gmf compresses the files...

Are you serious ... 1k!

• Upvote 1

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

Stange problem you have there ChrisMAN. I never had problems converting big meshes, but i use UU3D for model conversion.

If you have some money to spend i recommend buying UU3D(you won't regret it). Other than that you could upload the mesh somewhere and PM me a link, so i can have a look at it.

Is the .gmf correct? Is there a problem? I think .gmf compresses the files...

29mb compressed to 1k?!? Never laughed that much, thx biggrin.png

(Win7 64bit) && (i7 3770K @ 3,5ghz) && (16gb DDR3 @ 1600mhz) && (Geforce660TI)

My advice is 'just buy it' ... it's an excellent tool and well worth the money. I only ever use Brad's web site to download new versions, but I have to say I've never experienced any problems with it.

I think you're in the States if I'm not mistaken, so you'll have no problems purchasing it. Brad does operate a rather strange policy of not selling his software into lots of countries and checks prior to, or following, purchase. So you can find yourself unable to complete the purchase transaction or the money is just refunded with no warning or explanation if you're unfortunate to live in one of those countries!

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

I am trying to convert a blender exported fbx to gmf using fbxtogmf.exe

here is the log

http://pastebin.com/UjgDFVdf

it says its succesful but the gmf is 1k

the model has 65k verts and is ~29MB as an fbx

I don't understand why this whole conversation is taking place when you haven't bothered to post the file so we can actually look at it ourselves. How do you expect us to tell you anything useful?

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

My advice is 'just buy it' ... it's an excellent tool and well worth the money. I only ever use Brad's web site to download new versions, but I have to say I've never experienced any problems with it.

I think you're in the States if I'm not mistaken, so you'll have no problems purchasing it. Brad does operate a rather strange policy of not selling his software into lots of countries and checks prior to, or following, purchase. So you can find yourself unable to complete the purchase transaction or the money is just refunded with no warning or explanation if you're unfortunate to live in one of those countries!

Right now I'm in Japan for two weeks, and I'll be going to South Korea next week amd won't be back in the States till like August (when school break emds...).

I remember it didn't load properly in the U.S either, and I just tried to log on using a VPN but still fails.

Blog & Portfolio

Current project: moon.chase.star

I've found the gmf converters in the LE tools to be complete rubbish over the time I've used this engine. Just recently I spent quite a bit of time trying to convert a few models with mixed results.

Josh I honestly hope you've got the art pipeline sorted in LE3D because I know I've personally had serious issues with gmf conversion on more than one occasion. I really hope we don't all have to continue to buy third party software (UU3D) to support lacklustre conversion tools.

In regards to the issue at hand, I've found I've had good results if I play around with the export options in Maya/Blender/3DS. Only export the complete minimum required. Also just try a different export format and use one of the other gmf conversion tools.

Finally, buy UU3D...if you have to.

Programmer, Modeller

Intel Core i7 930 @ 3.5GHz | GeForce 480 GTX | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Windows 7 Premium x64

Visual Studio 2008 | Photoshop CS3 | Maya 2009

I've found the gmf converters in the LE tools to be complete rubbish over the time I've used this engine. Just recently I spent quite a bit of time trying to convert a few models with mixed results.

Would you mind reporting a problem if you encounter one? I am not aware of any problems with the FBX to GMF converter. Brad is probably the world's authority on 3D file formats, so there's no reason to hold back.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Would you mind reporting a problem if you encounter one? I am not aware of any problems with the FBX to GMF converter. Brad is probably the world's authority on 3D file formats, so there's no reason to hold back.

I suppose I could, next time I come across it. But its still quite a bad pipeline. I still don't really understand how it works in regards to renaming materials - Do I need to set the name of the material in my modelling app to be the same as the .mat file I make for LE? In the past I've had to do a lot of back-n-forth on naming.

At some point in the future I'll be attempting to use vertex painting on my models and then use shaders in LE to texture them appropriately. I worry how well this'll come across in the conversion to gmf.

Programmer, Modeller

Intel Core i7 930 @ 3.5GHz | GeForce 480 GTX | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Windows 7 Premium x64

To be honest, I don't know anyone who has bought UU3D who hasn't found it one of the most useful purchases they ever made, and I have yet to find anything that failed to convert using it's gmf converter, where-as I fully agree I have found quite a few in the past that failed using the provided converters.

Vertex color is preserved as far as I'm aware using most of the converters and is an export option in UU3D. I have used vertex color successfully in the past on gmf models.

In terms of the mat file naming convention, you need to create a mat file for each material referenced in the gmf file with exactly the same name. The gmf material names should reflect those used in your modelling app, but you can open the gmf in a text editor and search on 'material' to confirm.

To be honest, I don't know anyone who has bought UU3D who hasn't found it one of the most useful purchases they ever made, and I have yet to find anything that failed to convert using it's gmf converter, where-as I fully agree I have found quite a few in the past that failed using the provided converters.

Vertex color is preserved as far as I'm aware using most of the converters and is an export option in UU3D. I have used vertex color successfully in the past on gmf models.

In terms of the mat file naming convention, you need to create a mat file for each material referenced in the gmf file with exactly the same name. The gmf material names should reflect those used in your modelling app, but you can open the gmf in a text editor and search on 'material' to confirm.

All perfectly fine Pixel, but I just don't like the idea of having to purchase UU3D as another step in the art pipeline of LE. I understand the argument that one should probably have UU3D as yet another defacto application in game development. I just don't like the situation.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure the GMF file format is not human readable due to the compression?

Programmer, Modeller

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure the GMF file format is not human readable due to the compression?

Yeah, it was designed like that so it would load fast, but I would have much preferred COLLADA format as most of us just loads all models we need at the beginning of the level anyways.

Blog & Portfolio

Current project: moon.chase.star

You can read the material strings ... trust me I've no reason to mislead you ;)

• Upvote 1

I don't think purchasing uu3d is any different to buying 3dws or some other app such as Blitzmax or 3ds max.I know little about other engines but I doubt they supply everything you need.

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

here is a link to the fbx

ninja.fbx

i do prefer to have a good cli conversion tool over a graphical tool for such a simple job. it's also nice to be able to automate conversion.

josh:

you don't have to fast track this fix for my case. i will need to get to it eventually, but stupid normal life keeps my leadwerks at a slow pace. it would be cool to know when you think you can get it done. i have lots to keep me busy. keep up the great work on le3d.

the exported FBX model definitely has issues... when its opened in UU3D, it lists 360 bones (btw LE only supports up to 256) - 172 of which have no animation and there is no skeletal heirarchy... 75184 vertices and 69163 polygons which includes 39 empty meshes... and 69 textures/materials... and for some reason there appear to be several planes exported along with this... and a sword which is twice the size of the character that is located below the character... offhand, i dont think its the fbx2gmf converter's fault that its failing...wink.png

post-14-0-98705100-1341650028.jpg

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

i am wondering if blender is exporting hidden layers. i will have to dig a little deeper. regardless the gmf converter should have given an error if it couldnt read the mesh. i didnt make the model so i dont know all of its nature but the fbx has serious issues. thanks for looking at it macklebee.

i am wondering if blender is exporting hidden layers. i will have to dig a little deeper. regardless the gmf converter should have given an error if it couldnt read the mesh. i didnt make the model so i dont know all of its nature but the fbx has serious issues. thanks for looking at it macklebee.

Make sure you delete the lights and camera in your Blender scene. Otherwise they get converted into those wierd planes you see in that screenshot

STS - Scarlet Thread Studios

AKA: Engineer Ken

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!