Road Kill Kenny

Wow! Ouya Android Game Console

Guest Red Ocktober
The business model resolves around the 30% they get from game and application sales. This is where Ouya differs from the existing consoles.

interesting point...

--Mike

It's been sometime: http://firemint.com/...and-party-play/

You can play splitscreen with multiple devices too.

Yes I see it's been out for a couple months but my point still holds true. You would need the apple tv hardware which would cut into even more of the price of console. Making it even harder to make a profit in the $99 dollar price.

The business model resolves around the 30% they get from game and application sales. This is where Ouya differs from the existing consoles.

Now this makes perfect sense. I knew that they would have to make money on the back end somewhere. Well in my eyes this is worse than requiring a dev kit license. If you make a successful game. The 30 percent will no doubt cost more than any dev kit out there. It is no different than the free at first, then pay an arm and an a leg game engine.

Now this makes perfect sense. I knew that they would have to make money on the back end somewhere. Well in my eyes this is worse than requiring a dev kit license. If you make a successful game. The 30 percent will no doubt cost more than any dev kit out there. It is no different than the free at first, then pay an arm and an a leg game engine.

This business model works perfectly for the mobile eco-system as well as other distribution methods such as steam. For 30% of your profits you get an entire marketplace, hosting for your game, sales system, etc. I think you'll find its very competitive to what is out there right now.

This business model works perfectly for the mobile eco-system as well as other distribution methods such as steam. For 30% of your profits you get an entire marketplace, hosting for your game, sales system, etc. I think you'll find its very competitive to what is out there right now.

Not really. If there was a cap to the royalty fee the yes it might be ok. Imagine about the people that would also use a royalty engine. That's 60 percent gross profits gone right off the bat.

Not really. If there was a cap to the royalty fee the yes it might be ok. Imagine about the people that would also use a royalty engine. That's 60 percent gross profits gone right off the bat.

Well yes, that IS what you get when the majority of your distribution (steam, Ouya, etc) and game framework (engine of choice) are done for you.

If you want more profit then you need to work harder and DIY these parts of your game or find a company willing to accept a one-time price (Eg Leadwerks).

@tournamentdan That % is well worth it. None of these phone games would be making any money without that marketplace. If you had to hunt down mobile games from just anywhere online, most games would just never be found and that means making no money. So paying a % to these marketplaces is well worth what you are getting in return. This is why most everyone is trying to get on Steam. More exposure = greater chance for more money.

Then if one wanted to take the route of using an engine that charges royalties then it too can be considered worth it. Sure you might only get 40% of sales after both take their cut but because you used both of these technologies you really only did 40% of the work because they are doing so much for you.

@tournamentdan That % is well worth it. None of these phone games would be making any money without that marketplace. If you had to hunt down mobile games from just anywhere online, most games would just never be found and that means making no money. So paying a % to these marketplaces is well worth what you are getting in return. This is why most everyone is trying to get on Steam. More exposure = greater chance for more money.

Then if one wanted to take the route of using an engine that charges royalties then it too can be considered worth it. Sure you might only get 40% of sales after both take their cut but because you used both of these technologies you really only did 40% of the work because they are doing so much for you.

I totally agree with you here.

It's a trade off and an easy on at that. Pay a small fee per sale and get more sales or pay no fee per sale and get significantly less sales brodering on no sales. This whole model of online stores is what makes indie game dev possible in the first place as indie's have no chance of funding a full in store retail release at least most of us.

If you think about it it is pretty dam good compared to in store retail as you don't ever have to pay for manufacture, shipping etc.... so the fee's are much less. I remember when my bro worked on a fully commercial 'big company' game, they were only getting about $20 from the sale of a $80-$100 game, all the rest went into paying the retailer, paying for shipping and manufacture etc

on an off note...

I remember when buying games online and not getting a box was just wierd and at the time I didn't like it... How wrong was I as I now have over 150 games on steam. At one point in history every one was so confident that the world was flat and they ridiculed one person for suggesting it spherical.... I think sometimes it's good to give new things a chance instead of bashing it or you might regret it. Not saying it will do well or won't do well. I'm saying that no one can truly tell or predict at this point whether it will do well or not. However, often great opportunities and outcomes come out of taking a great risk. One I'm willing to take.

Here most of your retail shops like Target, Walmart, etc are really dropping their space for PC gaming (console gaming is getting more space it seems). I'm betting in a year or so these types of stores won't even carry PC games anymore.

Here most of your retail shops like Target, Walmart, etc are really dropping their space for PC gaming (console gaming is getting more space it seems). I'm betting in a year or so these types of stores won't even carry PC games anymore.

Indeed. Most recently a national retail chain here in Australia called **** Smith completely shut down their video games section. The whole lot - Consoles to PC games.

Yeah cause video games 'will rot young people's brains'...but TV is totally acceptable...

I hate when people make claims like that, but have no problems watching TV.

I guess I didn't think it had anything to do with rotting our brains (for some maybe) but more to do with the fact that more PC gamers are wanting to buy their games digitally.

No but it has to do with parents not wanting their kids to play video games because it "rots their brains" and so less demand = less supply.

I don't buy that. The parents right now are the ones who grew up on video games and either enjoy some Wii time with their kids or are more hardcore and go for PC/XBox/PS3. My parents were more like what you are talking about because they didn't grow up on it so they just didn't get it, but the parents of today understand video games because they grew up with them.

When it comes to PC games people are just buying them digitally and with the success of Steam it seems clear to me that when digital purchasing succeeds brick and mortar will die.

I agree with Rick, PC games disappeared of most of our supermarket shelves here in the UK over 2 years ago. The PC gamer is now exposed to vast competition via the internet via digital download outfits like Steam and outlets like Amazon etc. The majority of the supermarkets just can't compete in this marketplace any more. Competition in Console games is a lot less cut-throat and as such most supermarkets still carry a selection of the top 20 - 50 games or so.

I can still buy the majority of new PC games in thier boxed versions cheaper from online retail outfits than I can digitally from Steam though!

Yes you could save in advertising, cd burning, shipping,ect. But I think that it all depends on the marketplace. If it turns out to be just like the mobile marketplace I think a lot of hopeful developers will go hungry. I do think that if you could release a game when Ouya first comes out that you could do well and maybe make good or even great money. But the flood gates will soon open after that, just as it did in the mobile market. When the Ouya market first opens you will probably be able to have a nice affordable price for your game. Your 70% would probably be comparable to a retail price. Which is good and there is no problem there. But when there becomes more games in Ouya market than the mobile market. And there will be more. How good is that market place going to be then? It will be just like the mobile market. Developers will not be able to afford advertising, so then they will do the only thing that will make them stick out from the crowd. They will cut their price drastically. Then soon every one will keep cutting and cutting. And your 70% Will get smaller and smaller. And you still may have to pay other royalty's. Why don't you really see any big time studios making mobile only games? It's not because they do not like making money.

I really do wish something like this could work out. It would be nice if alot of people could afford products like these.