LE3D GUI Support

Marcus

I'm of the opinion that every feature we add needs to be really well thought out, and really well done. I'd rather wait on this so we can come up with something that really meets the need well.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I agree completely. However, I think if we simply add a command set for creating buttons, sliders, etc. the next request will be a visual designer built into the editor. Then we'll be in the position of having to go back and redo something, because we didn't do it right the first time.

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

It looks like it has built in support for binding to other scripting languages. It would probably be pretty trivial to add Lua support.

Right, but the next step is an actual HTML-based GUI. So it's not a complete solution at all, just an extra step that might lead to a solution.

Right, but the next step is an actual HTML-based GUI. So it's not a complete solution at all, just an extra step that might lead to a solution.

Is it? Looks like a pretty complete solution to me.

I'd interested to understand whether you intend to build a GUI system from scratch yourself or not, as from my limited experience cross-platform GUI frameworks are actually fairly complex and full of many corner cases. Not sure I would be very happy personally if you decided to postpone such a critical feature because you want to develop it yourself your own way, despite how good it may be in the end.

Programmer, Modeller

Intel Core i7 930 @ 3.5GHz | GeForce 480 GTX | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Windows 7 Premium x64

Visual Studio 2008 | Photoshop CS3 | Maya 2009

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Do it well, but don't release it months after the release -- it's a critical feature. I also go by the philosophy of doing from scratch, yourself, but sometimes you have to admit that some libraries exist that already do it well. Weigh the possibilities.

People will start coding crappy GUI alternatives from scratch and redo them later.

• Upvote 2