Architectural Case-Study

Michael Betke

I started working on a case-study I have in mind for over a year now. Its a simple house with large window fronts, modern interiour (loft style) and I hope to be able to push teh limits a bit further here.

Masterplan is to release it as a stand-alone and show clients a good interactive walk-through.

Attached is a first preview for scale some furniture (grey) and a first lightmap bake. There is still a lot light bleeding at the edges although I use a 4096px map.

More to come!

post-6-0-28595900-1342214392_thumb.jpg

post-6-0-51083900-1342214420_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Pure3d Visualizations Germany - digital essences

AAA 3D Model Shop specialized on nature and environments

Okay here we go with some new stuff. Still doing basic things like furniture. Modified the building a bit and added more rooms like some kind of gym and a large bath.

Also played more with lightmaps and how to set up the maps in combination with materials. Really missing a material editor here...All in all its coming along nice. Custom cubemaps for some areas and so on. :)

post-6-0-06325700-1342453116_thumb.jpg

post-6-0-89692000-1342453148_thumb.jpg

post-6-0-45319100-1342453086_thumb.jpg

Okay here we go with some new stuff. Still doing basic things like furniture. Modified the building a bit and added more rooms like some kind of gym and a large bath.

Also played more with lightmaps and how to set up the maps in combination with materials. Really missing a material editor here...All in all its coming along nice. Custom cubemaps for some areas and so on. smile.png

post-6-0-06325700-1342453116_thumb.jpg

post-6-0-89692000-1342453148_thumb.jpg

post-6-0-45319100-1342453086_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Benton:

I hired one of the nice coders here from teh forums (Aily) and we worked out a "reflection-node" solution with a complete custom material system. Basically I can place a little sphere, press a key and it renders me a cubemap at this position which get saved. I then can edit it or just use it for a certain place. This way I could place one over the table and use the cubemap for this area only.

Reflections are important in arch-viz but also costy for the system. So this solution is a good way. Of course the material system allows me to blur the map, change strenght of the relfection and much more.

Athos:

I render it with Mentalray. But every other renderer supporting texture baking will do too. Flatiron plugin is used for laying out the sheets.

At the moment I have five lightmaps or so. Maybe I will batch them together later. Problem is that I need a new material for every object sharing same textures but different lightmaps. Its a bit tedious to set up. I could do it the lazy way and put all objects on one large lightmap but the resolution would suffer...so a bit learning how to do it best with the available tools.

EDIT: Also a small problem, normalmaps dont appear nice on a lightmapped room. Thinking about this too. Maybe a very slight point light or so without shadows.

• 2 weeks later...

I had some time to work in the interiour some more which I think is finished now beside some plants and maybe decorations. Material need to be tweaked too. I wil ltry to bake a different lightmap for the main-walls too.

post-6-0-60546000-1343228725_thumb.jpg

I don't want to forget about the outside area and will see what I can do there.

post-6-0-39805700-1343228773_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

How can a client get his desired interactive walk-through plus state of the art CGI renderings and movies for his marketing without making him paying two times? As most of you know todays game-engines offer a good feature set but it's a long way to CGI quality. Especially if it comes to GI and interior design.

So I took a look and thought out a way to reduce this double costs with todays tools I have at hand.

post-6-0-74103700-1343577076_thumb.jpg

I started with the real-time version and used MentalRay for baking lightmaps. The only way to get good (static) light distribution in real-time. Since I offer a stand-alone application I just can do some levels (to keep this gaming term) with different light conditions.

I worked out some technical key elements like not making all the models to lowpoly.

Then Octane entered the game.

post-6-0-43524700-1343576017_thumb.png

I converted all my standard materials with the nice Converter in 3dsmax and after 20min of fast tweaking I got a good looking realistic scene.

Now I could tweak it further, add some more stuff and so on.

All in all I was really happy with the result and a large advantage is the good rendertime for the "hybrid" setup.

post-6-0-58166000-1343577037_thumb.png

Below are a few images and a YouTube link with a movie I recorded straight from my Leadwerks Stand-Alone and the custom features I have in there.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

you're a master! It feels so nice to see someone who achieves such level of control in the tools he uses. Great octane renders, sweet realtime rendering in LE. Congrats! :D

Win8.1 Pro X64/ Intel core I7 @ 3.5GHz / 32GB DDR3 SDRAM / GeForce GTX 660+760/ VC++ Express 2013/ Blender /Unwrap3dpro3 /Modo 8