Wilderness Environment

Pascherik

Some screens of the prototype from a moody, maybe fabulous environment. Wanna have a lot of space and many vegetation-objects.

Frames are great so i could concentrate now on more types of trees, further details in foreground like rotten stumps, branches and other gnarly matter.

Wanna reach an including atmosphere - life breathing audio-visual environment.

Next step will be a more deeply instruction to LUA (i´m generally new to coding) - to develop scripted, environment depending AIs for example animal classes. Simple smile.png a wolf class, deerlike´s, an eaglelike and a few fishs in some tarns.

all the best

post-5749-0-36736800-1342571717_thumb.jpg

post-5749-0-12137500-1342572844_thumb.jpg

post-5749-0-32442100-1342572882_thumb.jpg

post-5749-0-59193000-1342572894_thumb.jpg

post-5749-0-27728600-1342573142_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 3

It's difficult to get good terrain texture cover for vast outdoor scenes in LE2 due to the limit of 5 terrain textures. Being able to apply a base texture has helped considerably but it is challenging to come up with texture cover that both looks good at ground level but also convincing over distant views.

Sometimes a single stretched texture like this can be more convincing over a distance but does look awful if the player has to walk on it.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

Some nice shots there Pascherik. smile.png

@roland & pixel, how many layers would be enough ?

One technique I've used before is to use several of the same texture at different tilesize, this way it looks good upclose and from far above. Still five textures, but applied several times at different resolutions, like 3 for sand, example, one streched (1 tile), one at 16 tiles and one at 256 tiles.

• Upvote 1

HP Omen - 16GB - i7 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB

@roland & pixel, how many layers would be enough ?

One technique I've used before is to use several of the same texture at different tilesize, this way it looks good upclose and from far above. Still five textures, but applied several times at different resolutions, like 3 for sand, example, one streched (1 tile), one at 16 tiles and one at 256 tiles.

I'm really not sure how many it would take to get much more effective looking terrain as my experience has been limited pretty much to the existing 5 terrain texture layers. All I know is that I struggle to get sufficient variance using this number and any increase or alternate mechanism that allows for more would be a huge advantage. I'm aware however of some of the physical limitations imposed by graphics card hardware which contribute to these issues so accept its not simply a limit imposed by the engine designer.

I did come across an MMO engine a while back that appeared to offer 256 terrain texture layers, not sure how they were managing that or what possible compromises there might have been.

This link has some interesting information and looks at various different techniques: TerrainAdvancedTextures

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

The detail texture layers can be blended with the base texture. Also, there is an option in the DDS converter that fades mipmaps so terrain textures will look less repetitive in the distance.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I did come across an MMO engine a while back that appeared to offer 256 terrain texture layers, not sure how they were managing that or what possible compromises there might have been.

This link has some interesting information and looks at various different techniques: TerrainAdvancedTextures

If I remember correctly T3D allows ~250 layers for a terrain block by using an 8 bit index for layer storage, I dont know if that includes the detail and bump texturing (I don't think it does), and I don't know if I'd have the need for that many or the patience to paint a terrain with that many lol.

• Upvote 1

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

I agree 250+ is extreme and no one is seriously suggesting we need that many but 5 is too little even when they can be blended with a base texture. Faded mip maps do reduce the tiling issue (although good texture design will limit this considerably) but they also produce this uniform blandness with distance that looks anything but natural even when blended with a base layer.

I'd probably go with Michaels experience and suggestion of 9 -15 layers being about optimal. I'd be a lot happier with 15 especially if supported by a good decal system but accept that's never going to happen in LE2.

@shadmar Many thanks for posting the shader, that sounds like an interesting technique and I'll certainly experiment with it. Is this more effective with simpler textures (like sand for example) as opposed to ones with higher detail?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...