Arska134

Distance to picked point

Is there any command to get distance from point x, y, z to x2, y2, z2. I need to get distance from camera position to picked position.

PointDistance(p1:TVec3, p2:TVec3)

or just do what it is doing and perform the math yourself

distance = ( (x1 - x2)^2 + (y1 - y2)^2 + (z1 - z2)^2 )^0.5

no its not listed as a command but i found it in lua a long time ago by accident when i tried to make my own function as well and used the obvious name for the function, PointDistance()... and i noticed it turned blue in the ScriptEditor as it was recognized... i mentioned it to josh at the time and he didnt seem too concerned about putting it in the wiki / forum docs... i assume since its basic math...

Is there any command to get distance from point x, y, z to x2, y2, z2. I need to get distance from camera position to picked position.

If you put a pivot at your picked position you could use EntityDistance(camera, pivot);.

Wait... let me get this right.... instead of steps like this:

1. PointDistance(TVec3. LE::TVec3) // If you are in bmax or LUA, otherwise simple math funciton in C++

You do this:

1. CreatePivot();

2. PositionEntity(pivot, Vec3);

3. GetEntityDistance(pivot, camera);

.... I don't see the logic here.

Looks like he tagged this post as BMax. Sounded like PointDistance() is a Lua function? Could be wrong, but that's how I read the post by macklebee. If the language/library I was using already had the function, then for sure use it. If not then for me, it's about not having to think about it or implementing it every time I do a new project (which is often). I'm not very organized so I don't keep a library of common code really. I know the function already exists in LE but it just so happens it needs an entity, so this is a way to do that with using just LE code that's easier for me to remember.

So I guess for me it's not about logic, it's about laziness. smile.png

Well for anyone who wants a function for C++ that they can re-use every time its pretty simple:

#include <math>

float GetDistance(LE::TVec3 start, LE::TVec3 end){

return sqrt(pow(start.X-end.X, 2) + pow(start.Y-end.Y, 2) + pow(start.Z-end.Z, 2));
}

its in lua because it was in bmax... its not in the dll i assume because its basic math as i and ken have both shown...