More texture and vegetation layers?

dennis

Hello all!

I was thinking about the fact that I just have 5 texture layers, and off course I also was thinking...

Can we have more of them?

and how to add more texture and vegetation layers? is it even possible?

I hope someone can help with this.

Cheers

Dennis

shadmar was looking at techniques to increase the texture layers available with some success, but with regard to the vegetation layers ... there is no limit on those as I understand it (apart form the graphics cards ability to render it all lol)

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

It's basicly

1x RGBA for mixmap alpha

1x RGBA for mixmp solid

Each RGBA channel can hold one texture, use colors to map each texture.

In total that's 19 texture slots to display 9 layers with normalmaps. (or 11 without), but it means using textureslot 16 and above which isn't supported by all hardware.

In theory you can do upto 16 layers + bumpmaps + mixmap + 4 RGBA maps = 37 textureslots, but not sure any card could read that many, I think there is a limit somewhere.

post-747-0-49846700-1346495959_thumb.png

post-747-0-35199000-1346495993_thumb.png

(PS it's displayed on mesh, not a terrain using these textures)

• Upvote 2

HP Omen - 16GB - i7 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB

It's basicly

1x RGBA for mixmap alpha

1x RGBA for mixmp solid

Each RGBA channel can hold one texture, use colors to map each texture.

In total that's 19 texture slots to display 9 layers with normalmaps. (or 11 without), but it means using textureslot 16 and above which isn't supported by all hardware.

In theory you can do upto 16 layers + bumpmaps + mixmap + 4 RGBA maps = 37 textureslots, but not sure any card could read that many, I think there is a limit somewhere.

(PS it's displayed on mesh, not a terrain using these textures)

I don't really understand how that works. :(

but if I understand it correct it isn't possible on a terrain?

and is it even possible to add more texture slots inside a .sbx file, because active layers are shown.

I want to have more textures in one ".sbx" map file because my terrain is really big

This is 1 base texture with 1 detail layer. We use a 3rd party terrain editor and bake everything into a single base texture. Max res is 4096x4096 per terrain tile which looses definition when close to the ground so we apply a detail/noise layer over that.

This leaves 3 more splat texture layers to play with. It's not the best example just one I had to hand.

post-52-0-35930700-1347297875_thumb.png

(Using GROME imported into LE but several programs can generate maps and baselayers)

6600 2.4G / GTX 460 280.26 / 4GB Windows 7

Author: GROME Terrain Modeling for Unity, UDK, Ogre3D from PackT

Tricubic Studios Ltd. ~ Combat Helo

@Josh: I know it, but i always used all Layers... And i want to have more Layers to make my Island looking much better.

1. The first is the base, this is a sand texture,

2. then i have one with grass,

3. one with brown ground texture

4. and one for the hills,

5. and the last texture is concrete for the city.

So, but i want to add more texture layers, to make it looking much better. Please is there any possibility to add more layers?

I worked for 3 weeks on my Island and now to make a new one? Please dont let me do this.... I need to start to programm the game..

2560317.png

You are talking about something like in that game RAGE using idTech5? .. megatexturing was used performance was pretty bad ..link

It wouldn't run very well even on my system..or my previous system..

AMD FX-8150

16gigs ram

crossfire HD7870's

quad SSD's

and

AMD 1090T

16gigs ram

crossfire HD6950's

quad SSD's

Even with crossfire enabled ..got some really sad FPS on low settings and lots of terrain glitches ..etc etc ..

So I really hope it turns out well..

Threadripper 2920X Gen2 CPU(AMD 12-core 24 thread) | 32Gigs DDR4 RAM | MSI Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Stock OCed | ASRock X399 Professional Gaming Motherboard | Triple M.2 500Gig SSD's in Raid0

Windows 10 Pro | Blender | Paint.NetWorld Machine | Shader Map 4 | Substance Designer | Substance Painter | Inkscape | Universal Sound FX | ProBuilder | 3D World Studio | Spacescape | OpenSky | CubeMapGen | Ecrett Music | Godot Engine | Krita | Kumoworks | GDScript | Lua | Python | C# | Leadworks Engine | Unity Engine