Few Environment Models

Andy Gilbert

Ive been working hard at trying to find a good flow for building natural looking environment models using free to cheap software and i feel im starting to get somewhere so thought i would show a couple.

I might put these ones in the asset store. All were screen shots from LE with only SSAO turned on.

Ive made some rocks and this is one of them that like others can easily look like more.

rockws.png

And this is a modular stone wall, again thats made up of a single wall section.

wallmh.png

Theres stll areas i need to work on, but its fustrating to watch amazing stuff being created for all engines but using software thats way out of my price range and so im just trying to get somewhere "near" with free or cheap. smile.png

Thanks

Andy

• Upvote 4

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do.

Leadwerks Game-Ready 3D Models:https://sellfy.com/gib3d

What software do you use? I mean Blender is free and people do amazing things with it.

Sculptris is also free for sculpting and I think even Blender got nice sculpting.

For 2D I don't know. Maybe Gimp. You can lots of cool stuff without expensive tools. I would use other tools as 3dsmax too but its industry standard and lots of clients use it too. Like CAD drawings and so on.

Your models look like a good start. Just work on the textures/materials a bit more. :) And the wall could use a bit more structure. Like dark areas where one stone meets the other. Why not doing 3 stone tapyes and stick them to a wall?

Pure3d Visualizations Germany - digital essences

AAA 3D Model Shop specialized on nature and environments

Thanks for comments all and advice, all taken on board. smile.png

Software used is wings, sculptris, Xnormal, UU3D and Photoshop (or gimp).

I have blender and somtimes use it, doesnt mean its as easy though. Im sure blender will do everything i can do using other software but for some reason i find it difficult to use.

I know my work isnt next gen or anything (wish i could create next-gen stuff) but i think natural outdoor assets are difficult to get right.

Im also trying to create natural looking terrains, again im sure many of you have done better but here is a rocky desert style one. This uses only 3 textures.

terrain1g.png

Thanks

Andy

• Upvote 3

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do.

Very nice again Andy and I still think the terrain you used in your last paraglider video you showcased was the most realistic textured landscape I've seen in Leadwerk's bar none! Did that use a terrain model rather than Leadwerks terrain?

For anyone that's not seen Andy's project Parafly take a look here: Parafly videos

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

What you can do to make really awesome terrains (like Andy's) is to rought out your terrain in leadwerks and export the heightmap to world machine or geocontrol for further editing.

The new heightmap can be used in leadwerks then with all it's erosion and other goodies. Doing it this way doesn't mess up your level design.

Pure3d Visualizations Germany - digital essences

AAA 3D Model Shop specialized on nature and environments

World machine is great, and i agree i seem to find new features with everytime.

Pixel, the terrains fior parafly were an attempt at real geo data, but i had to do some work to make them look better and i also used L3DT for some. But thanks for comments on my parafly stuff, wish i had the time to work on it more.

Ive started a blog where ill add more models im doing, just so i dont overload this thread. :)

Thanks

Andy