General asset pipeline queastion,

Echo

Hello. My name is Jiri. I have worked with every game engine which is available to public. I dont even count them anymore. I ended up here.

Now i have a question. I am not asking one person , but everyone who is reading this post.

What is your asset pipeline.

I have over 2000 3d models , in different formats. Fbx , obj, and more. I would like to get all my models into the engine in shortest amount of time possible. The question is, do i have to convert 1 by 1, or can i use some batch utility which will convert 500 obj models at once.

pls tell me your pipeline.

thank you for your answers and ideas.

I do apologize if this question has bee asked before. I haven't searched the forums really. Next time i will , i promise.

Phenom 975 Quad core 4.0Ghz

Gtx 560 1gb Oc

6Gb ram

Ancient Windows xp 64 bit :0))

I love to learn new stuff. But , i never finished single project. Dunno why. I think the friendlessness is killing me slowly.

Just a quick question first, have you bought the engine or tried it yet? It's just that I wouldn't even contemplate exporting 2000+ assets until I was absolutely sure I wanted to use the engine!

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

To be more specific, I always do such test. This is where many engines failed. Yes i am sure, i did it many times before.

Gtx 560 1gb Oc

6Gb ram

I love to learn new stuff. But , i never finished single project. Dunno why. I think the friendlessness is killing me slowly.

well there are user made tools in the asset store that appear to do this...

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/files/file/285-gmfconverter/

but you have to actually be a SDK owner to have access to these...

also, my understanding of LE3 - the editor will automatically convert model files and textures to the LE formats needed... though I am under the impression this will only be true of FBX models...

Win7 64bit / Intel i7-2600 CPU @ 3.9 GHz / 16 GB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590

LE / 3DWS / BMX / Hexagon

macklebee's channel

did anyone ever complain , that this restrictions of downloading usefull tools for testing purposes will put many people off? It did right now. I want to try the engine , but you are not alowing me to do so. I can surely spend my 200 , as i did with s2 engine , and plenty of others. As i said , this is where all low budget engines fail. The restrictions , the fear of what? I am not a criminal, but i can ensure you that every engine , even the best ones are on warez site. including "yours". So i cant see any reason fo restricting users who actualy wish to buy it to try some tools. As i always say, the only people who suffer , are the ones who buy stuff legally. plz consider it , and when something changes, let me know on my skype: Cry.development

I am not here to complain and start a war. Just want to know why something is how it is. Thank you

happy developing.

Gtx 560 1gb Oc

6Gb ram

So you have to convert all 2000+ models into LE's gmf format to be able to evaluate it? I am not sure I follow your logic here. Surely, you can convert a handful using the available conversion tools in the evaluation version to properly see if LE is for you. As for saying people that buy stuff legally are the only ones that suffer, again I do not see how that applies here. If you bought LE legally and have a SDK owners membership on the forum then will you have full access to the downloads section and the tools users here have made.

Yes, you can get pirated versions of LE and most engines. But one of the big features that people get with a legal version of LE and its membership is the access to the rest of the forums and the items in the assets store.

macklebee's channel

yes i made simple game (1 level) in S2 Engine , Same in UDk ,

unity(dont like unity really , so i stopped after few hours) ,

Unigine (1 level shooter), this engine has beautiful graphics , but expensive

neoaxis( after hours of work i found out that my weapon has to have some diferent shader , so i tried to change it which was imposible, lol.,

Cryengine(has new Fbx importer, which is buggy , unusable for me, and the normal importer is limited to maya and max users(maybe some Softimage users, but u have to download crysis wars trial and use the RC from it , which i dont see very effective

Cafu(haven't made anything in cafu yet

Love(simple platformer) ,

Shiva (super simple ball game, but i have made more clicks than is healthy for my mouse.

XNA tried , not for me as i am not fan of C#

Vision engine (no more trying)

Gamebryo 4 evaluation ( after exttacting all files, i deleted them , no thank you

Torque 3d ( while trying to finish the FPS tutorial , every 15 minutes or so the stupid crazy windows poped up telling me to buy the engine and last 20 seconds, i lost my patience and unistalled that rabbish from my pc.

Panda3D not tried , because of my previous programming knowledges was not good enough.

C4Engine cant say anything because the demo doesnt contain the source code of the shooter ,which i wanted so much

GameMaker tried , but didnt like the interface

Construct simple platformer

i have also tried almost all of teese engines which was a bit usable or available and in development., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_game_engines

After all , i decided that lua is nice simple language , and well Best lua game engine for me was Leadwerks.

this is why i ended up here. i hope this is enough info about your question , and why i am sure what killed plenty of engines.

Gtx 560 1gb Oc

6Gb ram

So you have to convert all 2000+ models into LE's gmf format to be able to evaluate it? I am not sure I follow your logic here. Surely, you can convert a handful using the available conversion tools in the evaluation version to properly see if LE is for you. As for saying people that buy stuff legally are the only ones that suffer, again I do not see how that applies here. If you bought LE legally and have a SDK owners membership on the forum then will you have full access to the downloads section and the tools users here have made.

Yes, you can get pirated versions of LE and most engines. But one of the big features that people get with a legal version of LE and its membership is the access to the rest of the forums and the items in the assets store.

ah so you saying , i have to pay the money to get access to the forums , yes? Thank you for your answer. i will stay a bit longer to see if i can get all my stuff in without accesing This premium members only tools, so i can post my next eperience from leadwerks. i really hope it will be positive. Because leadwerks is very simplistic and nice engine.

Gtx 560 1gb Oc

6Gb ram

Yes, prior to this forum we had a very open forum. And what was discovered was a lot of time and effort was wasted on supporting people that had illegal versions of the software. So if you buy LE and get the owners membership, what you are getting is not only the engine but the technical help shown in the members only forum boards as well as perks such as access to items in the assets store.

macklebee's channel

Yes, prior to this forum we had a very open forum. And what was discovered was a lot of time and effort was wasted on supporting people that had illegal versions of the software. So if you buy LE and get the owners membership, what you are getting is not only the engine but the technical help shown in the members only forum boards as well as perks such as access to items in the assets store.

thank you for making things clear. I would really apreciate only 1 single favour May i only get this 1 single file without buying the engine right now?

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/files/file/285-gmfconverter/

all i want is to try batch export, nothing else. if everythings goes fine , i am gonna give it a go and spend some money again lol.

Gtx 560 1gb Oc

6Gb ram

well that would be up to either josh or tkunze as it is josh's forum and tkunze's program... but still I dont understand why just converting a handful of models using the commandline tools is out of the question? Do you really need to convert thousands of models to evaluate the engine?

if it is that big of an issue just write a batch converter yourself that uses the commandline tools.

macklebee's channel

i will tell you why , once i am done with it :0) , never mind , i will do it somehow myself.

Gtx 560 1gb Oc

6Gb ram

wow just read the user guide , very informative. After the years of development. I guess it is also hidden for non premium users?

Also is this page hidden too? http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/index.php?/page/resources/_/programming/lua/

Gtx 560 1gb Oc

6Gb ram

I have never seen the point of batch conversion with regard to models in LE, as models come in all different scalings (even in some packs!), and as LE has no in editor scaling functionality they would all need adjustment before or after conversion to what ever scale you wanted to use to allow correct physics .phy files to be generated. As for only being able to evaluate LE with 2000+ models in the 30 day eval .. well .. I find that hard to believe.

• Upvote 1

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

I have never seen the point of batch conversion with regard to models in LE, as models come in all different scalings (even in some packs!), and as LE has no in editor scaling functionality they would all need adjustment before or after conversion to what ever scale you wanted to use to allow correct physics .phy files to be generated. As for only being able to evaluate LE with 2000+ models in the 30 day eval .. well .. I find that hard to believe.

now you see the point. I'am.

Gtx 560 1gb Oc

6Gb ram

actually no ... I don't see your point, that was my point.

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

actually no ... I don't see your point, that was my point.

ah ok , i will explaint that better, so u see the point. In unity i am able to import 2000 models at once, no problem.You can adjust the properties of the models later on. The problem is i dont like unity . So my point is to be able to do the same here.

Gtx 560 1gb Oc

6Gb ram

And as I said, only being able to evaluate LE with 2000+ models in the 30 day eval .. I find that hard to believe ... for the 30 day eval, what Unity does or does not do is irrelevant..

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

Never mind sir, I dont want to waste space in here, by explaining something not so important. Lets forget about that.

Gtx 560 1gb Oc

6Gb ram

Well, the simple fact is Leadwerks 3 is nearly here, at which point your whole conversion pipeline will just disappear. All those models will be automatically converted when you drop them in your project directory, so all your problems just go away. That's probably why no one wants to go into a lot of detail explaining the LE2 art pipeline right now.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Well, the simple fact is Leadwerks 3 is nearly here, at which point your whole conversion pipeline will just disappear. All those models will be automatically converted when you drop them in your project directory, so all your problems just go away. That's probably why no one wants to go into a lot of detail explaining the LE2 art pipeline right now.

Brilliant, glad to hear that. got a question. Will version 3 available for evaluation once it is available for premium members? i mean at the same time?

Gtx 560 1gb Oc

6Gb ram

I think if you buy LE2 now, you get LE3 for cheaper then if you just waited for LE3, and you get it months before its actual release.

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 gigs ram, 3.30GHz Quad Core, GeForce GTX 460 one gig, Leadwerks 2.5, Blender 2.62, Photoshop CS3, UU3D

I think if you buy LE2 now, you get LE3 for cheaper then if you just waited for LE3, and you get it months before its actual release.

in each topic you boast LE3D, it would be better price and release date announced. As something not serious you configured.

Only it is not necessary to breed children's holivar, all your excuses I've heard.

For almost a month working with LE2 I found a lot of nasty bugs, and where is the guarantee that in LE3 will be less?