Visual C++ 2008 debug programs can't run

Josh

When I run a Visual Studio 2008 program build with debugging enabled on Windows 7 64-bit without Visual Studio 2008 installed, I get the following error:

"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect."

I tried installing the Visual Studio 2008 and Visual Studio 2008 SP1 redistributable packages for both x86 and x64, restarting between each, and it made no difference.

How the hell are you supposed to make a simple program run on Windows?

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Okay, you just have to go into project properties > C++ > Code Generation, and for "Runtime Library" you choose "Multi-threaded Debug (/MTd)" or "Multi-threaded (/MT)". The reason this did not work for me before is because I had a static library for FreeType that was using the DLL runtime library.

I have no idea why installing the Redistributable Package didn't work.

Is the same issue as when Visual Studio 2010 executables don't work without an additional package installed on Windows XP? Can it be worked around in the same manner using Visual Studio 2010 or 2012?

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

You can't run debug apps on other systems as it's using debug redistributable libraries. It will be only running on system with Visual studio installed ( with same toolset version ). If you need tu run it, just include toolset debug libraries with app. ( msvcXXXd.dll, etc ( 'd' in the end ) ) and it will work. You can see, different version of Visual studio is using different toolset version as libraries are newer. You can set one version everywhere, for example v100 and include debug libraries with debug exe.

-= Phenom II X4 965 3.4Ghz - ATI HD5870 - 6 GB DDR3 RAM - Windows 8 Pro 64x=-