LE 3 - a question

Xaron

Ok, I don't want to troll here and won't ask for a release date but have a different kind of question.

Nowadays all big engines seem to be editor based like Unity or ShiVa. I'm more the programmer guy coming from a BlitzBasic background even though I love to use C++ but never got warm with all these editors.

Look, I want to load a mesh and place it via code, I'd like to create a light and all that stuff without being forced to use an editor.

Now my question, will that be possible with LE 3?

Triassic Games

That's cool. So how is that supposed to work with Android for instance. Can I use C++ there as well, do you use the NDK there? iOS shouldn't be a big issue as it can run C++ wrapped with Obj-C?!

Isn't that deep at night over there at your place? :o

Triassic Games

See LE3 is like an onion...

... or an ogre

@Xaron the API commands will be similar, however, as it is written in C++ and there is some new functionality, and some less :|, there will be differences. It shouldn't be too hard but definately not a "Find & Replace" Job.

STS - Scarlet Thread Studios

AKA: Engineer Ken

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!

The world editor or level editor in LE 3 does not look the same as LE 2 world editor which has a good perspective view. Can the LE 3 world editor be switched to perspective view mode only ?

Will a complete game be able to be written interely as script ?

(For example a game having Dialog, combat, system, inventory , special effects , levels loading , game save )

Is there some approximative year quarter date for some beta access for LE 2.5 owners ?

(It is a year already since i bought LE 2.5, but i'm more 3D artist and use lot more scripting and i'm betting on LE3 new system and workflow)

Stop toying and make games

Will a complete game be able to be written interely as script ?

(For example a game having Dialog, combat, system, inventory , special effects , levels loading , game save )

Is there some approximative year quarter date for some beta access for LE 2.5 owners ?

(It is a year already since i bought LE 2.5, but i'm more 3D artist and use lot more scripting and i'm betting on LE3 new system and workflow)

Apparently you can write a game entirely in script but I doubt it will be very easy and will be very messy when you try make it more than just one level that plays instantly. I personally don't see how it would be any easier to write a full architecture in script than in code as the concepts will still be the same. If you are using script to write an entire game then it really isn't script is it.. it's actually just code using a different language with all the overheads that come along with that so I don't see the point of using it for an entire game.

Fact is making games is hard and although LE3 may assist in that way more than LE2 it won't magically make your game for you. I can see a lot of people being dissapointed because their expectations were un-realistic.

STS - Scarlet Thread Studios

AKA: Engineer Ken

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!

The way I see it, and I'm using C++ for my game now and love working with C++, is that script will provide an easier deployment and faster development time (for some games) to all platforms. We have to understand that not all games are OMG AMAZING AAA FPS games. There are people making a decent living on mobile platforms selling 2D images of bobbleheads for gods sake. There is a middle ground. In engines like Unity this is the only way to make a game and that community has games coming out of it just fine.

Lua also provides some out of the box functionality (like coroutines) that some of the other languages don't. Not that you can't mimic it, but that's precious development time and/or a library that you hope works on mobile platform if you plan to target it.

In other words, not taking any prior context of YouGroove, yes you should be able to make an entire game from script. How good that game will be is up to your own ability.

Geeez I'm so bored of this script versus native language and do I have to use coding at all argument ... it's what's stopped most people doing anything in LE2 and I can just see this continuing in LE3. Just do it .. simple as and stop always looking for excuses not to. Not everyone can code, in the same way as not everyone can model. If you are a **** coder you'll be a **** scripter. People need to team up with others that have the skills they lack and then the games might actually come to fruition instead of remaining pipe dreams.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

Well if you're not a coder you can go one level up and just attach scripts and use the flow graph. At some point you will need to crack open the script editor, but with the community you will probably have a lot of premade scripts to choose from.

There's three levels of Leadwerks 3:

-Native code

-Script

-Flowgraph / script properties

So programmers, scripters, and designers can all work together.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Whilst that may be the plan, that was true to a large degree of LE2 too ... but it never happened. Besides, your game will always be more limited and restricted using this strategy and you are still dependent on others although no longer in a direct way.

I simply don't understand where this insistence on having to be a one man show comes from, very few people spend there working lives on their own, we work as teams and it's this direct working relationship that really pays the dividends!

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

Yes, it has also 4 viewport view: top, right, front, 3D; and it has brushes. If there ever will be 3DWS 6, it will be based on LE3's Editor. Actually Leadwerks Engine was born from 3DWS originally, and then their paths diverged, and now they join again smile.png

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

I use vim + syntastic catches some of my dumb mistakes. I also use assert a lot. For a manly .vimrc checkout https://github.com/f...r/vim-settings.

Compilation doesn't save you from logical mistakes. That is what unit tests are for. For lua I have been using busted. I havn't gotten it to build on windows yet. It works out of the box with *nix.

https://github.com/Olivine-Labs/busted

There is definitely tooling to help manage the complexity.

John Carmack blogged about PC-Lint, which is somekind of C++ sanity checker, seems quite powerful, and the online demos are also quite intriguing:

http://www.gimpel-on...ineTesting.html

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Whilst that may be the plan, that was true to a large degree of LE2 too ... but it never happened. Besides, your game will always be more limited and restricted using this strategy and you are still dependent on others although no longer in a direct way.

The Leadwerks 3 implementation of Lua is different because:

• The debugging tools weren't as good as what we have now.
  • The new flowgraph provides a standard framework for communication between scripted objects.
  • Scripts in LE2 were unique per model. This was based on the idea that script was just programming, in another language. The new model makes scripts more reusable. The normal usage model now is attaching scripts to entities and adjusting parameters, not necessarily writing code. It's like the difference between placing premade 3D models in a scene and modeling everything from scratch in 3ds max.

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.