Mages Alchemy

tjheldna

Guest Red Ocktober

haven't had a chance to test the alpha yet... but after viewing the video, the addition of the narrator definitely fills that 3rd missing dimension i was talking about at the top of the thread... and the "voice master" did a great job... i'm sure he's going to get more requests... i just hope it doesn't go to his head and rates don't go up biggrin.pngbiggrin.png well, not too high anyways...

--Mike

I have done a list for "voice master Aggror". I'm still reviewing it as I want to make sure it's final before I give it to him.

Also new additions (not uploaded yet)

- Tutorial window text changed.

- Fixed duplicate sum issue.

- When you finish a level it loads the next level automatically.

- Level end results speed increased.

trindieprod.png?dl=0spacer.png?dl=0steam-icon.png?dl=0twitter-icon.png?dl=0spacer.png?dl=0

Haven't tried the demo yet but I watched your video. Looks good so far, nice to see something that has progressed further than a concept.

I like the 'dynamic' Camera that follows the player, it could be a bit more smooth though. How do you decide/calculate where the camera should be placed as the character progresses through the level as the camera rotates/zooms in a bit in some places? Only thing about it is that the foreground trees obstructs the view sometimes which can be annoying. It is also a bit repetitive with all the bridge challenges, but I guess there will be more variations of obstacles/challenges to overcome in the final version.

Good work so far and two thumbs up from me. biggrin.png

Hi Patrik

Thanks!

Basicly the way the camera works there are camera nodes in the level and it works out which one you are closest to and pans to the closest. I used the curve function to smooth it a bit. I thought with the trees passing might be a nice little touch, but hmm it people think it's not a good thing then I may reconsider.

I actually forgot to disable this however, if you press the "P" key it goes to a rotating chase camera view. This is only for testing and will be removed, but its there if you want to try it. Maybe it has a place in the game, not sure.

There are many different things planned for the challenges, but they aren't planned till future levels. I want to keep level 1 pretty easy for a beginner player. Some challenges are already done, some are still ideas ,but I want to have a diverse range of them.

trindieprod.png?dl=0spacer.png?dl=0steam-icon.png?dl=0twitter-icon.png?dl=0spacer.png?dl=0

... I thought with the trees passing might be a nice little touch, but hmm it people think it's not a good thing then I may reconsider ...

It is a nice touch .. please don't reconsider :)

... I actually forgot to disable this however, if you press the "P" key it goes to a rotating chase camera view. This is only for testing and will be removed ...

Yep, found that one

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

Basicly the way the camera works there are camera nodes in the level and it works out which one you are closest to and pans to the closest. I used the curve function to smooth it a bit. I thought with the trees passing might be a nice little touch, but hmm it people think it's not a good thing then I may reconsider.

It's a nice touch, and if you are panning between camera nodes you get control over when these trees passes the camera. I was just afraid they were going to get in the way when e.g. trying jump over a gap or pick something from the ground. It would be annoying to not see exactly where you are going in in those kind of situations.

• 2 weeks later...

Just some more feedback now my son (7 years old) has played it:

He loved it and needed no help what so ever, found it very intuitive and was able to play through all the levels unaided. He enjoyed doing the maths puzzles and best of all ... wanted to know when the full game will be available, which says it all really.

More variety, and some simple evolving story line culminating in an ending, and I'd say you're pretty much there!

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

Ha, that just made my day/month/year! I've had a little break from dev over the Christmas period as things get really crazy with all that's going on and staying up late every night working on it has taken it's toll.

Basically what I'm looking at a total of 8 - 10 levels, rework of the GUI's, and another character to finish. I'll probably do another beta build for download with more levels also. I originally had late Feb for a finish time, however I doubt I'll make it. I'm now thinking more April-May 2013 hopefully earlier. I am also considering the possibility of releasing the levels in parts or chapters so I can get it out and continue working on it at the same time.

Thanks again Pixel!

You're welcome tjheldna, it's a great little game!

We have found another little bug though, seems it will not accept just a zero entered from the keyboard or number pad in the subtraction mode. So when we get 4 - 4 we are unable to enter 0. We can enter zero after another number e.g. 10 but not zero on its own!

Input validation is often trickier than people think. You could continue to discard leading zeros except where the answer is expected to be 0. I'm not sure how your equations (questions) are constructed and if it's easy to apply a flag to them.