Facts about LE3

Canardia

has dynamic shadows only in OpenGL 4.x (and OpenGL ES 3.0?) version

So no dynamic shadows for GPUs that supports OpenGL versions between 1.x, 2.x and 3.x ? Can you please confirm on this ?

Can you please confirm the nature of shadow support that will be available for OpenGL versions 1.x, 2.x and 3.x ?

apps compile directly to all platforms from the project manager

Does this mean I will be able to produce a binary MAC OS X version of my game while developing my game on Windows platforms ?

• Upvote 1

Does this mean I will be able to produce a binary MAC OS X version of my game while developing my game on Windows platforms ?

I would like to say impossible :

Caus for IOS developping, you can make the game mobile under windows in your 3D game editor , but you need an Apple machine to create the runtime.

Or perhaps i've missed something ?

• Upvote 2

Stop toying and make games

Technically with Lua you can do this if Josh were to make a generic LE Lua interpreter for Mac and you make your game with Lua. It could be done with iOS also if Apple would be cool with it, which I'm not sure if they would just yet, but there are Lua interpreters available on the app store so not sure what the difference really would be anyway.

I would like to say impossible :

Caus for IOS developping, you can make the game mobile under windows in your 3D game editor , but you need an Apple machine to create the runtime.

Or perhaps i've missed something ?

There are some proceedures for cross compiling to mac. It probably involves getting llvm to work on windows.

I really have no idea about cross platform development or Apple stuff in general, so this probably sound really stupid. Is it possible to create a game with LE3 on windows and test it on an iPhone, or is it necessary to use a mac for that? Is it even possible to transfer the game easily, or do you need to upload it to the app store and/or conclude a contract? I am in the dark wacko.png and you probably can help me the most

It seems that using windows is not possible for know

[/size]

So no dynamic shadows for GPUs that supports OpenGL versions between 1.x, 2.x and 3.x ? Can you please confirm on this ?

The baseline renderer has no dynamic shadows. A new deferred renderer will be developed later.[/font]

A Mac is required to produce native code Mac games. You COULD make a Mac Lua game on Windows, because the binary is provided, and all you would need to do is include it in your Windows Lua game, and then it runs on both. You would need a Mac and Xcode to sign the code if you wanted to distribute it in the Mac App Store, but otherwise it will work fine.

iOS development requires a Mac.

Android development requires Windows, at this time. It can probably work on Mac, if you aren't scared of adjusting project settings in Eclipse, but we found it necessary to focus on one platform when making the project templates.

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

What do we need to download to create Android apps? I have a new Android tablet (Galaxy Tab 2 7.0) and would really like to get started. The same question for OSX ...

Robin

Programmer , Intel Quad core, NVIDIA GeForce GT 220, Windows 7 Pro, Galaxy Tab 2 ( 7" and 10"), LE2,LE3,3DWS

• 3 weeks later...

C++ is the way to go. C++ is much easier and faster than C#. C# is just horrible and should never be used, it's as bad as Objective-C or Java.

Lua can be used for some small and non-time critical scripts, but the main game should be still written in C++. Besides it's much more fun to code in C++ than in Lua, so why code in something which is not fun?

There are enough things in game development which are not fun for a longer time, so at least the coding should be kept fun always.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

C++ is the way to go. C++ is much easier and faster than C#. C# is just horrible and should never be used, it's as bad as Objective-C or Java.

C# / Java have their place, if YOU dont like it, its okay but dont tell others what they have to like.

Besides it's much more fun to code in C++ than in Lua, so why code in something which is not fun?

Again, YOU think its more fun not everybody.

@Noyart: Le3D comes with C++ and Blitzmax API (if i remember correct). I guess Roland or someone else will create a C# port after a while.

There are still 56% of LE developers who find C++ the most fun to code with. Even in the ongoing poll only 5% like C#.

http://www.leadwerks...ogramming-poll/

It would make more sense to write a Monkey (=BlitzMax 3.0) module for LE3, because that's with 24% the 2nd most popular language of LE users.

He asked what is the way to go, which includes the most important aspects of programming: maximum support, maximum speed, maximum fun.

Canadian, why don't you just give it a rest - take a day off your horse!. I for one are sick to the back teeth of 'your opinions' on what is best etc! And your know it all attitude on what is maximum support, speed and FUN?! Jeez, the winter nights must just fly by in your house!

C++ is like an ex-girlfriend. When you see her again, you are full of nice memories and nostalgia. 15 mins later you realise just why you split up in the first place.

Maybe we should all use your SuperBasic which has even better support, speed, and inevitably more, FUN! (Rolling eyes)

Maybe we should all use your SuperBasic which has even better support, speed, and inevitably more, FUN! (Rolling eyes)
lol

Will c# programing be possible with LE3?

Or is lua the way to go?

I'm not enthusiastic about C# for the following reasons:
  • Native code has better performance.
  • C# relies on expensive closed-source third-party compilers you have to pay extra for.
  • Native code is more portable. We can go to new platforms without asking Xamarin for permission.
  • Native code is more flexible. You can integrate new libraries, and have full access to everything.
  • The game industry is built on C++ and Lua and has a long history of relying on these languages. I consider these to be much more future-proof than a debt-funded startup's attempt to extend a Microsoft technology with an uncertain future.

In my view, C# lives in this uncomfortable middle ground between native code and Lua, where it doesn't have the rapid prototyping abilities of Lua, and it lacks the speed and flexibility of native code.

Most of all, native code is the "real" language all the platforms use for games. You're much better off using the standard Xcode and Visual Studio are designed to support. Even if you're using Lua, it's written in pure C. and we have full control over it.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Odds are that I'll make a C# wrapper for Leadwerks 3, whether Josh or Mika like it or not (provided Leadwerks 3 still works with a main DLL). In all likelihood, it won't work for Xamarin and thus portable devices. It'll just be a wrapper for Windows, which is fine for a lot of people who still target this massive audience and don't want to waste hours on the intricacies of low-level development or on the volatility of scripting.

That being said, if I can reconcile with C++ (the ex-girlfriend analogy truly was good), I'll probably use C++ myself for Leadwerks.

So, where's a LE3 ? smile.png how many hours to release ?

I wont be able to buy it yet .. until March ... on a budget ..

Threadripper 2920X Gen2 CPU(AMD 12-core 24 thread) | 32Gigs DDR4 RAM | MSI Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Stock OCed | ASRock X399 Professional Gaming Motherboard | Triple M.2 500Gig SSD's in Raid0

Windows 10 Pro | Blender | Paint.NetWorld Machine | Shader Map 4 | Substance Designer | Substance Painter | Inkscape | Universal Sound FX | ProBuilder | 3D World Studio | Spacescape | OpenSky | CubeMapGen | Ecrett Music | Godot Engine | Krita | Kumoworks | GDScript | Lua | Python | C# | Leadworks Engine | Unity Engine

Sorry to be asking if this question has been already asked but will there be GUI support?

I've been waiting for LE3 for a long time for mobile deployment (have been working on small side projects until now), but working on those games made me realize what a pain it is to write your own GUI.

Blog & Portfolio

Current project: moon.chase.star