Will LE3 support OUYA?

Wilds

Ouya is just a normal Android phone, so yes, LE3 runs on Android/Ouya. And it doesn't use the slow and buggy Java, but the fast and flawless C++ on Android.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

I don't know enough about the Ouya vs. Android to say for sure, but I think Ouya is cool and I look forward to bringing Leadwerks to that platform. I don't thinkit will be that difficult since we're running on Android right now.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Hi,

I have an OUYA dev console myself and can tell you that developing for OUYA is exactly the same as developing for any android device except for two things:

- There is an OUYA API for the controllers

- There is an OUYA API for in game purchases

These API's are currently only in Java... therefore with C++ you have to use the JNI to access the API functions... not sure if this is possible integrating with the engine as I haven't tried it.

HOWEVER, a C++ NDK API for OUYA controllers & in game purchases is currently in development. If I were you I would develop the game on PC with an XBox controller for testing controller ability and then just change the controls to OUYA when the C++ API comes out. There is pretty much no code difference between developing for Android and PC except for controls and such so you won't be wasting your time.

Therefore, in saying all this my point is that since LE3 supports Android it theoretically supports OUYA. All you have to do is use the OUYA library and API yourself for the extra functionality. Of course Josh could officially support it... However, I don't think it's necessary.

STS - Scarlet Thread Studios

AKA: Engineer Ken

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!

Hi,

I have an OUYA dev console myself and can tell you that developing for OUYA is exactly the same as developing for any android device except for two things:

- There is an OUYA API for the controllers

- There is an OUYA API for in game purchases

These API's are currently only in Java... therefore with C++ you have to use the JNI to access the API functions... not sure if this is possible integrating with the engine as I haven't tried it.

HOWEVER, a C++ NDK API for OUYA controllers & in game purchases is currently in development. If I were you I would develop the game on PC with an XBox controller for testing controller ability and then just change the controls to OUYA when the C++ API comes out. There is pretty much no code difference between developing for Android and PC except for controls and such so you won't be wasting your time.

Therefore, in saying all this my point is that since LE3 supports Android it theoretically supports OUYA. All you have to do is use the OUYA library and API yourself for the extra functionality. Of course Josh could officially support it... However, I don't think it's necessary.

Thanks for your reply, so my guesses were right.

• 4 months later...

Ouya seemed to be released current 20-25 june if i remember well.

I think it's too eralier for Ouya games, we don't know if it will be successfull enought and along the year ?

And it's comparison to other last mobile devices in terms of power was not so good, there was problems and non cool things with their market store. Like some people said, it will be better with next versions of Ouya, this one is just a pionner one to install some console name and base before going stronger.

I think it's better to stay with Android or Ipad, caus they are sold a lot , specially phones with big screens , and games are popular on mobile compared to Ouya.

Some people will stay on PC for indie games, other will keep XBOX or PS3/4 and keep such indie games on their mobile only.

Let's wait end of the year or one year to see if Ouya will be popular enought ?

You have lot more chance to sell lot more a game on Mobile than new indie console.

It's just my taste on the Ouya.

Stop toying and make games

You have lot more chance to sell lot more a game on Mobile than new indie console.

Yeh except maybe some people don't like mobile platforms... tongue.png

That aside I have to admit the OUYA isn't very good as it stands. I'm still waiting for my release version to come in the mail (it's taking so long) but the current dev console which I have has a number of problems and the games are well... mobile games in High Def....

That all being said it's not all bad if you're into those kinds of games and for the price tag who knows how well it will do in stores. I'm currently not very hopeful but maybe I'll be surprised... who knows.

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!

I am early baker.

I've created my project, you can see it here:

http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?1092-My-Beloved-Company&highlight=Beloved+Company

Comparing to weak tablet I've got the same FPS on App Game Kit software.

So, my question about LE3 is not "to start develop on OUYA or not", but "how to do it" :-)

Hopefully, we would check LE3 on OUYA, at least I hope it will work.

Unless you can make JNI calls to the OUYA Java API (don't know if you can with LE3) then I'm afraid it is be impossible without it being officially supported. If they release a C++ API it would be no problem but they aren't exactly very forthcoming with information about their progress on it. They pretty much ignore / dodge the question every time.

• Upvote 1