about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9oHRpDk44o

Wchris

HI,

After watching you video some observation immediately come to my mind.

The video is awesome, expecially the debugger, but I don't want to talk about what's already perfect.

* The first thing is the plenty of 'box' I can see in the treeview. There should be a way to collapse or hide similar objects to avoid getting overwhelmed. One of the big problems with game making is to handle the growing of code and ressources, If from the beginning it's not designed to simplify visualisation it will be increasingly difficult for us 'mere mortals' to manage it when the project grows. (or maybe some king of tag system to hide some tags ?)

* The second thing is about the source code and flowgraph. I can see events in the flowgraph that correspond to lua subprograms. If I double-click on the flowgraph subprogram function name do I get placed in the source code at the beginning of the subprogram ? If not It would be a huge organisation help and time saver to add this. No more scrollig into the code. Try it you won't go back.

Also when we click on an object in the treeview it would be nice to have in the popup menu and 'events' item that opens a list of attached script subprograms names and allows to double-click and jump directly at the beginning of the function source code.

* The third thing that annoys me about lua is missing syntax help hints. When I tape a function name I always expect to see a hint with the list of parameters and types. I have this in other languages and it's really a big big + to learn and use faster without having to go out and reach the docs.

Cheers

I can already hear plenty of trolls groawling 'Hey this will slowdown LE3 release', but this is not required at release. But should be quickly added after because it will help adoption of lua and make the editor more usefull and more fun.

wink.png I understand it's difficult for Josh to work on easy things because it's boring, the debugger and advanced functionalities are more fun for him. But you have a skilled employee now, he would do this in no time smile.png please

• Upvote 1

Windows 7 home - 32 bits

Intel Quad Q6600 - nVidia GTX 460 1GB - 2 GB RAM

I agree with better object collapsing, jump-to-script from the flowgraph and autocompletion. None of these are priorities, but they'd surely help the flow. But then again, these might be already here and we just haven't seen them in the short video.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the suggestions. There's lots of small tweaks we can add, stuff that won't even affect the documentation, but things that just make the experience a little better.

Until the GDC, we're going to be focused on bug fixes and hardware compatibility, but after that we can make little adjustments to improve the workflow.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.