Leadwerks 3 Beta Evaluation Kit

Admin

You can try Leadwerks 3 for Windows now:

http://www.leadwerks...evaluation-kit/

Open "start.map", then press F6 to launch the game.

Our immediate priorities are as follows:

• Compatibility on a wider range of hardware, including Intel integrated graphics chips.
  • Performance optimization.
  • Refining the editor workflow and making small adjustments as we use it more.

If you do not have the Visual C++ runtime distribution you must install this:

• Upvote 4

Thanks.

I also found that you can use Shift to run,

No camera rotation is really going to hurt this. It was the first thing I tried to do as soon as I made my little man move.

What the evaluation is for is the engine not the example mini game with the engine.....

STS - Scarlet Thread Studios

AKA: Engineer Ken

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!

Big fail for me. The editor goes through it's startup process, loads resources for the Darkness awaits, briefly displays a "Welcome" dialog before being dumped straight back to desktop.

Win7pro (32bit) 4Gb ram NVidia 9600GT 512mb (latest drivers!)

*EDIT* Just checked the editor log which reports OpenAL: AL_INVALID_OPERATION.

**EDIT** Never mind... Updating OpenAL solved the problem! Everything works fine now.

"If our brains were simple enough for us to understand them, we'd be so simple that we couldn't." - Ian Stewart 1995.

Some programs might have ninja-installed the 2010 runtimes. Commercial games do that. It's easy to do with NSIS, you just include the 2010rt installer, and launch it with the /q option (quiet). I did the same with the OpenAL installer in my single exe tutorial.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

To be fair, it runs OK on this Intel graphics machine I've been using it on. But I'm having difficulty with the usability. Couple of bugs found already but trivial.

First impression is that it's a huge step up from Leadwerks 2.0 editor (apart from the lighting and terrain etc). LUA debugging is great and could use few little extras to aid work on non-trivial projects (real games, not short demos).

Script Editor is always on top, toggle please or little widget. It's clunky.

LE2.5 animation blending by code is clunky. There's a disconnect here between art asset and what's required to work with it. If you don't have information about frames or bones, this is a total pita still. Coders don't make animations, yet required to implement them, disconnect = arse to work with. There's still a lot of boilerplate code when you add objects, however I am sure this is just down to unfamiliarity and lack of examples of various types of objects.

On the whole, not bad. It still feels like a $200 engine for what you get. And I want to see the same game project running at the same time on different platforms.

I appreciate the opportunity to try it out and it does look quite promising as a mobile game development platform.

6600 2.4G / GTX 460 280.26 / 4GB Windows 7

Author: GROME Terrain Modeling for Unity, UDK, Ogre3D from PackT

Tricubic Studios Ltd. ~ Combat Helo