Leadwerks 3 Beta Evaluation Kit

Admin

Perhaps some memory leek in Lua ?

I will do mobile games without using Navigation if we can, just some :

"See and seek player within a distance"

It's good thing the engine to run fine on Low Hardware.

I hope Josh will keep these low settings, and whe nading eye candy stuff and shadows, all that will be optionnal or could be disable by programming or in the editor ? The goal is to be able to deliver PC games for very low specs.

@BES :

I think you are right, i just read quickly some stuff on guides i didn't dig anything.

Stop toying and make games

I re tested on my Laptop :

Unity Ungry Bots :

Shader glow and reflective on level structures , real lights , particles etc ... big level and entities : super smooth some 100 FPS on my poor Laptop.

unitytest.jpg

LE 3 : level more little , no effects like particles, no dynamic lights , i see some struggle in the frame rate or some non sync , Some times i think it can be some good 50-60 FPS

some times even when starting the frame rate seems like 25-30 FPS not very smooth

and it's like there is some struggle in background provoking some delay in iame displaying.

I think it can some from the NavMesh background thread or other script launch perhaps ? When a goblin script starts when the player comes near ?

Perhaps in C++ these problesm will disappear ?

It's not to play the bad consumer as i like LE 3 Workflow and stuff, but things are what they are and

yes Unity is really well optimized, and i think it's price is also very well deserved.

I stay objectove , caus i'm not fan of any engine, i like them, they allow me to try to make a game some day perhaps. So this is only about a test i made i never and it can only motivate Josh to go further in optimisations.

You can't compare a team of programmers project and one man project also.

The prices are not the same also, actually LE 3 is more advantageous if you don't target ultra FPS.

I just think if prices will evolve it would be better to not go crazy like the first prices announcements smile.png

I think LE 3 will have good ideas for future updates we can pick elsewhere.

- Some little window stats when running the game

- The game running in a window inside editor ?

Well LE 3 already shines compared to some other indie engines on super new workflow, BSP in editor, lightmapping, let hope optimisations will come ?

If deffered lightening will keep a constant FPS could it be using Lua or C++ than it will be good indeed.

It was a test only.

Now let's make good models and textures , let's dig Lua and i htink C++ , and let's make some Android LE 3 game :)

Speaking generically, performance testing comes a bit later after a code base has settled down. Then optimization. It's harder to justify time spent on optimizing code when you're still working on it.

I wish I had access to a decent performance HUD.

Anyone got suggestions?

6600 2.4G / GTX 460 280.26 / 4GB Windows 7

Author: GROME Terrain Modeling for Unity, UDK, Ogre3D from PackT

Tricubic Studios Ltd. ~ Combat Helo

Yes i hope optimisation will be considered (perhaps BSP stuff produces too much entities also).

There is no dynamic lights or particles or HUD running, it should keep a constant good frame rate ?

I think you must search on google for C++ open source libraries for the GUI system.

Speaking generically, performance testing comes a bit later after a code base has settled down. Then optimization. It's harder to justify time spent on optimizing code when you're still working on it.

I wish I had access to a decent performance HUD.

Anyone got suggestions?

Maybe this new and shiny profiler will be for you? (c/c++/lua)

For graphics, AMD has some tools for OpenGL/GLSL ..

• Upvote 1

I'm unable to launch the Editor on Windows 7 x64. Darkness Awaits demo works fine though.

Error I'm receiving at launch (yes, I installed the C++ redist files):

"This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way." (Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library)

Anyone knows what could cause this? Thanks in advance.

Did you try the latest 32-bit runtime from microsoft site then? The one on Leadwerks downloads is probably a bit old, and might not work with the latest Windows patches.

Also install Leadwerks in C:\Leadwerks. The installer leaves some paths hardcoded to C:\Leadwerks.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Did 2.5 work? Tried updating graphics drivers?

2.5 worked fine. The included demo game from LE3 works fine too.

Did you try the latest 32-bit runtime from microsoft site then? The one on Leadwerks downloads is probably a bit old, and might not work with the latest Windows patches.

Also install Leadwerks in C:\Leadwerks. The installer leaves some paths hardcoded to C:\Leadwerks.

Installed it to a different drive at first. Then moved the directory back to C:\, didnt do anything. And a clean install on C:\ doesn't fix the problem either.

I bought a license, waiting for it to be accepted. Hopefully that edition works better.

Yes but the included demo game ....ran a bit slow for my system with vsync turned off... and it seems there is a memory leak in it..

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/topic/6004-leadwerks-3-beta-evaluation-kit/page__st__20#entry51959

I get higher FPS than that with games like Crysis2

I know LE3 is fresh right now ..so ill give it a while to improve ..

Comp specs in my sig.. if you must know..

Threadripper 2920X Gen2 CPU(AMD 12-core 24 thread) | 32Gigs DDR4 RAM | MSI Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Stock OCed | ASRock X399 Professional Gaming Motherboard | Triple M.2 500Gig SSD's in Raid0

Windows 10 Pro | Blender | Paint.NetWorld Machine | Shader Map 4 | Substance Designer | Substance Painter | Inkscape | Universal Sound FX | ProBuilder | 3D World Studio | Spacescape | OpenSky | CubeMapGen | Ecrett Music | Godot Engine | Krita | Kumoworks | GDScript | Lua | Python | C# | Leadworks Engine | Unity Engine

I don't have time for all the fixes that are going to be needed for this engine....it runs slow...even on good hardware...sure it will run a demo...but even slow for a demo means no game...keep workin' on it and maybe after 2 years and paying out for updates it may compete with whats available now...have fun waiting....later

That's why it's called Beta. I'll get it optimized pretty quick, we only recently got everything working.

BTW, VSync is turned on by default so the max framerate you will ever get is 60. Change this line in Scripts/App.lua to remove the limit:

context:Swap()

Change to:

context:Swap(false)

Also, if you are debugging the game from the editor, it will be a lot slower. Choose the Game > Run menu item to run without the debugger slowing it down.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

@BES :

That's what scares me about LE3 laugh.png

I hope we will see OPTIMISATION in top priorities.

Well it's a beta, and it's hard to define in hat state should be a beta also.

Before optimizing, josh should implement all thats necessary and check if it works. You know "premature optimization is root of all evil".