Leadwerks 3 Beta Evaluation Kit

Admin

I thought the upgrade was $200 till April 30. Is there hidden costs (other than $99 for both IOS and Android each) other than that? Am I missing something? I don't even get the 20% to 60% being talked about here.

Mike

What does this mean? Are you saying the $200 is for the beta and there will be additional fees to get the full version? This totally confuses me.

Mike

When you purchase the Leadwerks 3 Beta, you are purchasing Leadwerks 3.0, just early. People new to Leadwerks will pay the full price. You do not have to pay anything else when the final version 3.0 is released.

Is streaming terrain available in 3.0 ? If not, what maximum terrain size will be supported ?

What about LOD, imposters, occlusion culling, portal culling ? I do not see any of them mentioned in the road-map.

What about the new particle system that we were shown videos ?

All big terrain features, big word optimisation are lot more for big PC games than little mobile ones.

I think they are are for another update different from basic requirements, and graphic needs.

You select a particle you put in the scene and you can edit it (it is some particle editor in some panel when particle is selectionned)

(I don't have tried)

Stop toying and make games

I gave a range I felt was broad enough to leave room to make decisions, because a lot of people are expecting me to know the exact future and decide everything on the spur of the moment. There are unknown variables when you are developing software and I'm not prepared to announce the price of software I haven't even started writing.

There was no word on culling afaik yet - if csg gets sortet into bsp then there might be an option to pre compute pvs [i always wanted to write that]. :D This and easy to use networking ^_^ would be a dream engine imho.

AMD 64 X2 Dual 5k - 4GB - XFX GForce9800GT - nv196.21 - WinXP Sp3

zBrush4R2 - Silo2Pro - Unwrap3DPro - Gile - MaPZone2.5

adv_banner-april2012_720x150_tex01.png

Xxploration FPS in progress ...

What about LOD, imposters and terrain streaming ? Is that included too ?

you can program that yourself.

Well frankly speaking that I was not looking for in LE 3 when LE 2.5 has this feature built in. And that phrase can encompass anything ....

Not all 3D engines have steaming (even UDK i'm not sure)

Yes, I know that. But the question is will it be part of LE 3's feature set ?

Yes, I know that. But the question is will it be part of LE 3's feature set ?

Have you a solid game design and concept ideas that would justofy to use Streaming ?

You could start with non steeaming in a first phase to see if you can reach to some Beta of your game ?

What about LOD, imposters and terrain streaming ? Is that included too ?

"Imposters", unless they are done as a batch (like Leadwerks 2 does for vegetation) are an antiquidated technique. They don't even make sense on an iPad, because the difference between rendering 2 polygons and 300 is virtually nil. The pixel pipeline always becomes a bottleneck before the vertex pipeline does.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Id guess he is asking about the PC/MAC license.

True.

Have you a solid game design and concept ideas that would justofy to use Streaming ?

You could start with non steeaming in a first phase to see if you can reach to some Beta of your game ?

Well yes, I accept self competency is one big aspect. But I do need to know if the terrain in LE 3.0 will have streaming

feature or not. Terrain streaming may come in handy if I am trying to create a racing game. And lastly I am not seeing

LE 3 as a mobile device oriented game engine. My main target is PC ( at least for now ) so I want as many features as

possible for PC/MAC Platform built-in into the engine. In one line for the PC and MAC I want everything found in LE 2.5 within LE 3, plus something more. And that more may not fit in appropriately for mobile platforms but I can't drop any existing feature found in LE 2.X, otherwise it is not worth the upgrade or is it ?

Terrain streaming may come in handy if I am trying to create a racing game.

You should really dig Google about how companies make racing games.

Do you mean simple tracks or big cities or GTA like.

Each have is proprietary system with similarities and believe me : it has nothing to do with terrain streaming :)

For simple tracks, it's not steeaming at all, they use LOD on tracks parts that are snapped together and they have tracks editors also.

Do you mean offroad racing ? in big terrains , or rally games ?

They are not all relying on terrain system also.

Before asking meag features you wo'nt use or that is not appropriate you should really dig racing games technology and styles what they use (lod, tracks pieces, big terrains chuncks system etc ...)

Guest Red Ocktober

flight sims are usually where you'll find some method of terrain streaming employed... race games are usually track oriented, although i have seen some that are cross country and may indeed use it...

this might be an interesting prospect to look into though...

--Mike

I have noticed that it depends on the scale of things on the map(meters per pixel)... technically you dont need streaming terrain ..should be able to make most games with a 4096x4096 map or less ..

IF you want streaming break up that 4097x4097(for World Machine it needs to be 4097) into tiny tiles with 0.1 - 5.0 meters per pixel ..scale you models down ...should be plenty of space ..

I was trying to go very large scale ..but after a lot of messing around with terrain generators like World Machine ..4097x4097 maps can cover a massive area..

4097x4097 (4.882 meters per pixel)

Tile resolution 256x256

Break into 256 tiles

Final map size 4096x4096 (4.883 meters per pixel)

Leaves a very detailed map and its VERY large ...with scaled down models

But as I said you can still make a game with a 4096x4096 map ..just scale your models down..you shouldnt need to stream it.. unless its one of those GTA type games like said above or some sort of flight sim or space game where you land on planets or an MMO..

So far I have noticed that even with space games you dont really need streaming/tiling ...for the open space parts ...maybe just the planets if you want to land on them..

If Josh doesnt add it and you still want to use streaming/tiling you will have to add it yourself ...shouldnt be too hard ..look around for C++ code on the internet for examples ...

Not all 3D engines have steaming (even UDK i'm not sure)

LOD should be here.

Imposters, you mean sprites for LOD farther distance ? you can program that yourself.

Also Unreal Engine does have an Advanced streaming and LOD system .. LINK and if you ever played games like Mass Effect ...there is a setting in the .ini(engine ini or game ini..cant remember) about streaming terrain (I think its in there several times actually) ...

Threadripper 2920X Gen2 CPU(AMD 12-core 24 thread) | 32Gigs DDR4 RAM | MSI Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Stock OCed | ASRock X399 Professional Gaming Motherboard | Triple M.2 500Gig SSD's in Raid0

Windows 10 Pro | Blender | Paint.NetWorld Machine | Shader Map 4 | Substance Designer | Substance Painter | Inkscape | Universal Sound FX | ProBuilder | 3D World Studio | Spacescape | OpenSky | CubeMapGen | Ecrett Music | Godot Engine | Krita | Kumoworks | GDScript | Lua | Python | C# | Leadworks Engine | Unity Engine

Despite whether Juggernaut actually requires it for his game plans or not it was a valid question. Josh DID originally state that streaming terrain WOULD be in LE3 at some point. The question deserves a straight answer as there may well be people who have a valid requirement for this.

• Upvote 1

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

@BES :

Anout MAss Effect i'm not so sure for stereaming, ME3 was only levels linear, not big open terrain worlds.

Well for me advanced features dont' matter.

We already have so amazing workflow and open script system, what to say, that's just rocks.

Hey guys, hope everyone is well.

I'm a real old timer from the forums...several years ago actually LOL and got an email about Leadwerks 3. Is there still an option to try the engine ?.. I can't even find an option to buy anything atm.

Any info or link would be great.

Thanks chaps.

Is there still an option to try the engine ?.. I can't even find an option to buy anything atm.

Any info or link would be great.

Thanks chaps.

I have the same question. I've been lurking on the forums since last spring/summer 2012. I did not buy LE 1 or LE2. Can I still try the new LE3 engine? I see the link to the trial but when I click it it says I do not have permission to that part of the site.

I am a lighting artist and I wanted to know more about your engine from a lighter standpoint. I have downloaded the engine and the game is nice, but I want to test and see how your lighting worked. I was unable to work within the demo of the engine. Do I have to buy the engine before I can test what the lighting can do?

Reason:

I would like to review your engine and place it on my blog I am creating about lighting. This blog will talk about the beauty of lights within film, theatre, tv, games, and in nature. One of my pages will review gaming engines lighting tools.

Please let me know if I can review your engine and place it on my blog with a link to your site.

I am in the process of creating it and here is where it will be http://lightlady365.tumblr.com/

The about this blog working now.

@LightLadyT: Since LE3 uses lightmapping most of the lighting has to be calculated before running the game.

Did you use "Tools -> Calculate Lighting" after you changed something in the scene?

Or do you mean, you can't change anything inside the demo scene? In that case you might try starting the editor as admin (this problem might occurr if you installed LE e.g. to your program files-folder instead of C:/Leadwerks and have the UAC set active)

I did use the "Tools -> Calculate Lighting" at first but here too i could not select the light and change any of the lighitng information. Next, I tried to create a new project and I could not create one. Also i went to the werkspace page and located the lighting tab. It example the lighting calcuation but not how to create and place a light.

Is there a lighting tutorial?