Leadwerks 3 "How do I ____?" Questions and Answers

Chris Vossen

Hi everyone,

I'm Chris Vossen, I wrote the majority of "Darkness Awaits" and have spent way too much time with the documentation. I wanted to open a forum up to answering LE3 user questions about how to do things in Lua or editor.

Please don't be bashful! If you have a question chances are there are/will be many others out there with the same question.

Question: "Isn't there a way to change the size of models by entering their numbers? The viewports show me the sizes, but I seem only to be able to change them using the mouse which is awkward."

Yes.

- Select your model by clicking on the scene tab

- Now there is a tab that says general and within it there are parameters for scale

post-5181-0-82858200-1362176626_thumb.png

If you want to scale the model as a whole you can use the model editor:

post-5181-0-78927200-1362177289_thumb.png

Question: "I create a new project using the Project Manager (Lua). I would have expected that I can run the project right away, but it doesn't seem to work. Opening App.lua in the Script Editor and hitting F5/F6 just notifies me that <myproect>.debug.exe couldn't be launched."

Answer: Josh is on this right now. I'll post more when he's done.

Thanks. But that doesn't change the numbers in the graph but rather multiplies them, right? I find that confusing since I can't easily compare the sizes. The scale makes sense for imported models, but when I create a cube I want to directly enter its size.

Question: "Are there any commands/shortcuts to snap to the grid? Or to align objects? Without that it's pretty hard to construct the scene you want."

Answer: You can adjust the grid size via View->Increase Grid Size or View->Decrease Grid Size "short cut key are the brackets '[' and ']' " When you create primitives they will automatically be created according to the grid size.

Thanks. But that doesn't change the numbers in the graph but rather multiplies them, right? I find that confusing since I can't easily compare the sizes. The scale makes sense for imported models, but when I create a cube I want to directly enter its size.

In the editor: You can select the object in the main viewport and their dimensions will appear in the 2d viewports where you can see their dimensions and resize accordingly.

or

If you are working in code: Box

post-5181-0-91443400-1362178074_thumb.png

I can see no animate command in Leadwerks 3.

How would I animate a character with a walk sequence containing a framebegin value of 1 and a frameend of 40?

amd quad core 4 ghz / geforce 660 ti 2gb / win 10

Blender,gimp,silo2,ac3d,,audacity,Hexagon / using c++

Question: "Why can't I create new primitives directly in the main viewport? I would prefer to drag-n-drop them from the toolbar (giving me e.g. a unit cube) and then resize/reposition them using their property window (or the mouse)."

Answer:

If you would prefer to drag and drop a unit cube you could:

1. In 2d viewports create a 1x1x1 using the primitive box

post-5181-0-23209800-1362178507_thumb.png

2. Right click on your box in the scene tab and select "Save as Prefab"

post-5181-0-57125700-1362178563_thumb.png

3. Name it and save it

4. Select your prefab from the asset browser and drag n drop into the main viewport:

post-5181-0-53420400-1362178618_thumb.png

I can see no animate command in Leadwerks 3.

How would I animate a character with a walk sequence containing a framebegin value of 1 and a frameend of 40?

The most convenient way of animating a model in lua is to attach the "AnimationManager" script (located at \Scripts\Animation\AnimationManager.lua) then call "SetAnimationSequence"

an example of this is in the Player.lua class (which is attached to the barbarian in Darkness awaits) Lines 219 through 235.

If you don't want to use the animation manager you could call the entity SetAnimationFrame command. Animation commands are grouped together in Entity

Hi Chris, when executing a project in either debug or release mode a console window opens up before the main application window listing all the assets being loaded etc. Is there a way to suppress the console on a release build?

"If our brains were simple enough for us to understand them, we'd be so simple that we couldn't." - Ian Stewart 1995.

Hi, im seeing no "helpers" for lights or cameras in any viewports? Should i be able to?

Also rotating the camera or lights is useless as nothing "rotates" to show you the rotation you making.

Andy

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do.

Leadwerks Game-Ready 3D Models:https://sellfy.com/gib3d

Hi Chris

In Camera2, self.target is suppose to be the barbarian.

How can I fetch the material from code?

local child = self.target:GetChild(1)
local material = child:GetMaterial()

seem to return the shadow material, but using GetChild(0) gives me nothing. Also self.target:GetMaterial() return nil.

is there a way to fetch the material this way from the barbarian?

Using to create a behind wall effect (x-ray shader) but I need the material to set the shader dynamicly :)

Not even sure I'm doing it right.

HP Omen - 16GB - i7 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB

Hi Chris, when executing a project in either debug or release mode a console window opens up before the main application window listing all the assets being loaded etc. Is there a way to suppress the console on a release build?

Okay I haven't tested this but I believe there are currently 2 steps to accomplish this:

1. Make sure you can compile for visual studios

Compiling with Visual Studio

2. Change the linker subsystem property to Windows

Project->Properties->Linker->System->SubSystem

post-5181-0-07823100-1362180180_thumb.png

I just added the icons folder in the project templates directory, so any new project you create will include them. biggrin.png

We only have icons for the lights right now. We didn't have time to produce any for other entities, and I couldn't find any that looked consistent.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Hi Chris

In Camera2, self.target is suppose to be the barbarian.

How can I fetch the material from code?

local material = child:GetMaterial()

seem to return the shadow material, but using GetChild(0) gives me nothing. Also self.target:GetMaterial() return nil.

is there a way to fetch the material this way from the barbarian?

Using to create a behind wall effect (x-ray shader) but I need the material to set the shader dynamicly smile.png

Not even sure I'm doing it right.

Models in Leadwerks 3 are basically the same as a Mesh in Leadwerks 2. A model can have one or more surfaces. In this case, the material you are looking for is applied to the model surface, so it will be something like this:

local surface = child:GetSurface(0)
local material = surface:GetMaterial()

Since GetChild() returns an entity, and GetSurface() is a Model class command, you might need to cast the entity object to a model:

http://www.leadwerks...ng-with-lua-r57

Note that all indexes in Leadwerks 3 begin with 0, so 0 is the first entity or surface, 1 is the second, etc.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Models in Leadwerks 3 are basically the same as a Mesh in Leadwerks 2. A model can have one or more surfaces. In this case, the material you are looking for is applied to the model surface, so it will be something like this:

Since GetChild() returns an entity, and GetSurface() is a Model class command, you might need to cast the entity object to a model:

Note that all indexes in Leadwerks 3 begin with 0, so 0 is the first entity or surface, 1 is the second, etc.

The lua example in Model::GetSurface might help as well.

That works, thanks guys.. (my first shader in le3) :

surface = self.target:GetSurface(0)
   initmat = surface:GetMaterial()

• Upvote 1

HP Omen - 16GB - i7 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB

Hi, I'm getting the following error in lua; 'attempt to index global 'Map' (a nil value). sad.png

function App:Start()

--Set the application title
self.title="MyGame"

--Create a window
self.window=Window:Create(self.title,0,0,1024,768,Window.Titlebar+Window.Center+8)
--self.window:HideMouse()

--Create the graphics context
self.context=Context:Create(self.window,0)
if self.context==nil then return false end

--Create a world
self.world=World:Create()

--Load a map
return Map:Load("Maps\start.map")
end