MinGW64 version of Leadwerks

Canardia

I hope Josh can compile someday LE3 with MinGW64 to get rid of this DLL hell. Some users can not get the DLLs working, even when they spent hours of trying to install them.

The benefits of MinGW64 would be:

1) Ability to make single exe games with Leadwerks (no need for NSIS single exe)

2) Ability to make 32-bit and 64-bit programs

3) Ability to use the latest C++11 standard

4) Better compatibility with cross-platform C++ library sources

5) Slight speed boost due to more modern C++ and better optimization routines, and more CPU registers on 64-bit

6) Less security issues

7) No need to install runtime dlls

8) Easier maintenance of source code due to more similar code between platforms. Less bugs, less work, faster updates.

9) No additional work when Microsoft decides to make another VS version which is incompatible with the previous one (especially solution and project files).

10) Rich availabity of standard C++ extension libraries also on Windows, like pthreads.h, dirent.h, etc...

11) Fully portable compiler and IDE (Code::Blocks). No installation needed. You can have MinGW64 always with you on a USB stick, and write your Leadwerks games anywhere you go.

12) Same IDE on all platforms (Windows, Linux, Mac): Code::Blocks.

13) Ability to write Windows games under Linux, since Code::Blocks and MinGW64 works with Wine.

14) No need to install huge programs like VS 2010 C++, Windows SDK, .NET, SQL Server, and tons of patches, which bring again more security holes to the system.

I really don't want to require my customers to install those runtime dlls, since they bring also additional security risks to the system, and my colleagues can't even install them, since they don't have Administrator rights to their Windows. And asking the helpdesk to install them for hundreds of users is not going to work either.

Now that LE3 is completely free of external DLLs (newton.dll, jointlibrary.dll, etc...), since all the libraries are statically linked, I find it a bit ironical that LE3 itself needs some VS DLLs smile.png

• Upvote 2

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

7) No need to install runtime dlls

Ever since you mentioned it to me, one thing I've always done is include those three runtime DLLs in the working directory. No reaon to install the entire lot when it only needs those 3 right? Unless 2010 and newer or so much different from 2008.

LE Version: 2.50 (Eventually)

Ever since you mentioned it to me, one thing I've always done is include those three runtime DLLs in the working directory. No reaon to install the entire lot when in inly needs those 3 right? Unless 2010 and newer or so much different from 2008.

I had the same in mind today too. I think today I will investigate how to do the same for VS2010 DLLs so that users can have them inside the game directory and don't need to install the runtime.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■