My View on Leadwerks 3

Pancakes

I'm just going to get to the point. Leadwerks 2 is perfect for me in some ways, I didn't need networking. I only wanted to make a single player PC game. I love the lighting SO MUCH in Leadwerks 2 especially when combined with the Crysis SSAO shader that a user submitted. The visual fidelity blows my mind whenever I look at it.

Some people say that the graphics of a game don't matter so much. And those people would be right. However it's undeniable that humans experience reality through the senses, and one of those senses depends soley upon light. Experiencing Leadwerks 2 lighting is an experience like no other game engine I've ever seen. Much like paintings and sculputures, the lighting isn't 100% realstic, instead it's stylized, so that leadwerks lighting allows for scenes that are beautiful in their own right, in a way that extends beyond reality.

Leadwerks 2 renderering allows for visual expression like no other game engine. ANd that's meaningful!!This is why I feel almost hurt by opening my leadwerks 3 editor and not seeing that same rendering technology as in Leadwerks 2. I just feel confused like a dog who is waiting on their master to walk through the door even though the master has gone off on a business trip.

I understand that the render will eventually come into Leadwerks 3 but for the time being it's just a genuine first world problem if you know what I mean.

I will say this: I would have gladly paid $999 for Leadwerks 2 + Kismet + no more need for UU3d. That would have been the perfect Leadwerks package for my personal needs. I didn't need anything else out of this game engine. I'm not trying to express disappointment in Leadwerks 3 I'm just trying to say that I loved Leadwerks 2 so much that the change is rather jolting!! And I can't just automatically jump when the change was such a fundamental one to that which I loved in Leadwerks 2

I'm still conflicted. I love the new importing and editor. LIke I said I know that eventually Leadwerks 3 will have the improved renderer I know. Just had to say this. I'm gonna have to think for a while about this. I might wait until the end of April.

• Upvote 1

Core I5 2.67 / 16GB RAM / GTX 670

Zbrush/ Blender / Photoshop CS6 / Renoise / Genetica / Leadwerks 3

When LE3 gets projected shadows, it beats LE2. And in the official RoadMap projected shadows are in version 3.0.

Shadowmaps are quite useless, because they have only a very very short distance.

Stencil volume shadows have a very long distance, but Josh said they have some problems with something and are not popular anymore.

Josh said projected shadows will work also on models, but only if they are animated. So I assumed if an animated model has 1 frame and 1 bone and shadows will work!

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Guest Red Ocktober

i think it's much more than just shadows 'Cakes is talking about... i agree with his assessment...

3 will eventually catch up with the visuals we had in 2... even then, lightmaps will still have its place in the whole scheme of things... especially when targeting platforms where memory and performance will be a consideration...

the freedom to choose your own best of options will be great...

--Mike

I pretty much agree with the OP, but being locked into Windows, having a narrow range of supported hardware, and being written in Blitz were really limiting Leadwerks. We had to get out of those restrictions, and it took a lot of work. What we have now is a big stepping stone towards the ultimate goal. And to be honest, it wouldn't hurt this community to focus more on gameplay for a while. We've been weak on that, as a result of that being a weakness of Leadwerks 2.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Yep for PC games, LE 3 is really behind lot of others engines.

We'll see how things will evolve, what upgrades ? what prices (as i won't pay more i think ) ?

If LE 3 will bring LE 2 eye candy stuff and keep actual workflow and Lua programming yes it will be a good solution, for 999$ some people would be able to put such money why not ?

It will just reward Josh for it's hard work smile.png

From what i tested it has a really good up to date workflow and not so hard Lua programming capability and Flow Graphs for possible coming 3D artists or less programmer people focusing in 3D creation and gameplay instead of pure coding.

LE 3 just need time to become mature and grow in terms of tutorials, code base, Android stable base,and later on tools and eye candy features.

• Upvote 1

Stop toying and make games