Rick

Thoughts about charity and games

When I release my game I want to give a certain % of the profits to a charity. I clearly want to make games for a living so a certain % also goes to me. My question is, do you think I'll be looked at as "using" charity, if that's even possible since any money to charity is generally good?

Clearly saying I'll give x% of sales is a marketing strategy and I would hope for more sales because of it but all it does is help everyone involved. It helps the gamer (feel good), charity (get money), and myself (get money).

Just curious on how "you" would perceive something like this.

Doesn;t matter what your motives are as long as the charity get their money.

Here in the uk big businneses give large sums to charity to avoid giving it the tax man.

"any money to charity is generally good"

Simply that. If you're clear, not deceptive and do as you say, there should be no issues.

I welcome the idea, and even thought about it myself, but If you're going to sell the game for $0.99 i suggest you add an optional box where you can donate more for the charity part... I really liked this approach with some "pay what you want" games I saw, .. you could pay any amount you wanted (there was a suggested 5$ price) for the game and you could distribute this amount between charity and developer..

This is all promising news. I want to keep the price low (.99) and more spread the word via social media to get more involved. With mobile it's just easier to purchase a .99 app and know, say, 25% of your purchase is going to a charity instead of messing around with setting up giving what you want. I have a few charities in mind, and I know I said breast cancer in an update before but alzheimer's is one that's actually closer to me so I might go that route.

I for sure want to be transparent that I also want to make a living making games but if I'm able to help financially at the same time then I think that's a win win.

I like charity, but I am afraid the money for charity can go into weapons and drugs. To make sure the money goes really for charity, I would just collect the money myself, and then do personally charity acts. For example buy a farm, and then let children visit it and milk the cows, collect the chicken eggs, cut the lambs wool, etc...

Well for mobile you are right, the games I was talking about were for PC, they were bigger in scope (if we're talking Solo warrior here) but the target audience wasn't as big as you get with mobile.. and the numbers here can make a difference, with 100k units sold you would be giving away $25k, not too shabby I've seen big companies donate less..

The only problem I personally might have with the model you described is that I would feel kinda "cheap" in paying $.99, knowing that I contributed only 25 cents to the cause. That's usually the case for me, but then I just buy multiple items, only with a game it doesn't make much sense and you often physically can't (as it's logged as purchased on your account, although some offer buying as gifts)...

.. anyway, I really like that you are doing this, and wish you the best of luck with this project!

I would just collect the money myself, and then do personally charity acts. For example buy a farm, and then let children visit it and milk the cows, collect the chicken eggs, cut the lambs wool, etc...

Now that's some hardcore charity right there - collecting money for a business venture then using child labor to do some free work for you!

Wow, you are good! :D

I'm actually thinking very big with this (not that it doesn't clearly benefit me too or that it'll even happen really). I'm thinking of having a Drive for a Million! Where I'll give 25% no matter what BUT if we reach a million in sales I'll give 50%. This is probably too ambitious but I like going big, and I can't imagine the harm if the goal doesn't get reached. It's still a win for all.

I know I said breast cancer in an update before but alzheimer's is one that's actually closer to me

Then I can understand why you'd forget to mention it. tongue.png

Maybe the money for the game keep for yourself, and make added content with all proceeds for Charity.