Reducing model poly count

Rick

When you simplify a model, you create a new mesh. So you would then need to weight paint the mesh to the bones. I use Mesh Lab. It is free open source. I have used it for a long time and it works great.

http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/

http://youtu.be/PWM6EGVVNQU

Edit: Sorry, When I say I use Mesh lab I mean for the simplification and or decimation process. I would then use blender to weight paint.

• Upvote 1

Nice ..didnt know about this program ..thanks for the info and the link.

Threadripper 2920X Gen2 CPU(AMD 12-core 24 thread) | 32Gigs DDR4 RAM | MSI Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Stock OCed | ASRock X399 Professional Gaming Motherboard | Triple M.2 500Gig SSD's in Raid0

Windows 10 Pro | Blender | Paint.NetWorld Machine | Shader Map 4 | Substance Designer | Substance Painter | Inkscape | Universal Sound FX | ProBuilder | 3D World Studio | Spacescape | OpenSky | CubeMapGen | Ecrett Music | Godot Engine | Krita | Kumoworks | GDScript | Lua | Python | C# | Leadworks Engine | Unity Engine

3D Coat in retopology mode have the fusion tool :

You click on edges to merge vertices, fast, easy.

Zbrush have decimation master, but it's lot mroe for super hight models.

@Rick :

For mobile, you should do it manually as i presume you won't start with high res models ?

Stop toying and make games

UU3D has a polycount reducer slider under "3DTools -> PolyReduce Model...". You can remove an quite amazing amount of polys before you can even see a visual difference.

Ryzen 9 RX 6800M ■ 16GB XF8 Windows 11 ■
Ultra ■ LE 2.53DWS 5.6  Reaper ■ C/C++ C# ■ Fortran 2008 ■ Story ■
■ Homepage: https://canardia.com ■

Nice ..didnt know about this program ..thanks for the info and the link.

No problem. It is mainly used for laser scans that are rather large in poly count. I think the highest was 10 million triangles.

UU3D has a polycount reducer slider under "3DTools -> PolyReduce Model...". You can remove an quite amazing amount of polys before you can even see a visual difference.

@ Canardian- I have never used UU3D. For a model with bones, does it automatically re-weigh the vertice to the bones?

Rick, when you reduce a models poly count (decimate) you are creating a new mesh. And in doing so you will lose the topology in your model. When it comes to unanimated models this is fine. But for models that will be animated like a character or other models that will bend. The models will have a certain topology to make the bending (animation) look good. For example where ever the model will bend in animation like fingers, wrist, elbow, shoulder, knee there are a few extra loops and or specially shaped polygons. If you change the topology (decimate) it may not animate it in a pleasant looking way. Although depending on what type of game you are making (FPS or Third person) the camera may not be close enough to tell a difference.

I have UU3D so I'll give this a try as the first "easy" solution (again if I even need to for mobile, the models might be fine as is, haven't tested yet). If I need to reassigned the weights then I have a guy who can help with that and will hit him up.

Thanks all for your answers!