YouGroove

What are you working on :

Creating a river with the Spline Tool from Aggror. I love this feature. Too bad that there is no possibility to see the result in the editor

Edit: and many thanks for shadmars great shader :) 

sorry forget this :(

5a9869646d691_Screenshot2018-03-0119_20_59.thumb.png.47a0aba4c74ebea1e0042b861e77dfca.png

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

MIs proposed models for the community project Gears Arena. 

1. Three boxes of ammo.
  2. One AK 47 rifle
  3. A shield. 
  4. A health kit hooked to the wall

Models.thumb.png.f136b9917049b9c793ac18f91c05e445.png

• Like 2

11 hours ago, burgelkat said:

Creating a river with the Spline Tool from Aggror. I love this feature. Too bad that there is no possibility to see the result in the editor

Don't forget to credit Shadmar, it is all his shader work that made it possible. 

• Like 1

I've been editing the audio for character voices in Brecon. Here's the result:

Can't wait to fully integrate these sounds. Some are already in the game. Adam from Fiverr did an absolute best job! https://www.fiverr.com/pizzayola

• Like 2

Changed the map yet again. Textures de-saturated, added skyscrapers in the backdrop to emphasize the location. I'm trying to populate the map with as much obstacle as possible.

The boulders on the second image look a bit too big and far apart. Meh.

The UI still needs a lot of improvements. 

D13554AB2729B0F1B092C1D3D938FB0657B7A5EB

D0A492B556683C9CDBCF817184A183510FC8DB28

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jen said:

I'm trying to populate the map with as much obstacle as possible.

This is currently the hardest part for me.  Not so much obstacle but just populating a map and making it look good but also varied, not just the same thing over and over.  I was watching an Assassin's Creed walkthrough video last night just for this reason - not for the gameplay but for how they populate a desert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nATM8cKhrX0

Fill it with dead grass, brush, and small rocks, along with chunks of concrete and rubble. I can picture something that looks like above-ground WW2 trenches. Adding cover will greatly enhance the gameplay.

Here's a cool little expensive addition: the city is on fire!

3KSDm64.jpg

@gamecreator I'm also in your stage. I experiment a lot and I just see what looks good most of the time, sometimes I get lucky. I guess it just takes practice. 

@Josh That's a great idea. The left-most part of my map is barren right now, I can add trenches there. It would be perfect.

Update:

I'll need a sandbag models now to cover the trenches

x6AXcPy.jpg

• Like 2

Going for the cartoon-ish look.. I think I like this better.

zrN8zJw.jpg

GKNQsOZ.jpg

R4SblcH.jpg

21 hours ago, jen said:

This is more than sufficient! Thank you Mr Burgelkat. @burgelkat

T7xw0xc.jpg

If I may be critical, let's talk about level design. I am a level design artist who learned to program. I'm not a great designer, but I understand the principles and have a knack for it.

Gameplay dictates the design of the map. As you no doubt have discovered, two people shooting each other in an open field isn't actually very fun at all. But currently your map can be described as having a complete lack of any interesting features.

Image1.jpg.27e469c62d6a9653f35567abe9097b2a.jpg

Now you are removing the textures to make the graphics match the complete lack of design decisions the map suffers from. This is not good.

Start with the gameplay. What kind of gameplay do you want? If you want fast-paced team deathmatch, then something like this would be more appropriate:

Image2.jpg.b188104f345361b484c11ecf2ba3a9f4.jpg

If you want one team to attack and one team to defend, then a linear battlefield with two defense points is best. After the attackers win the first objective, the defenders start spawning further back at the second objective.

Image3.jpg.f46ddfebd0b65cba1025b564954c5444.jpg

No games use a level like you have created because it is virtually impossible for the attacking team to even get close to the center town. This is why in real wars they dig trenches. In modern warfare, we would simply phone in the location of the target and a plane would drop a bomb on it.

This is a very good book that can help, especially the first part of it:
http://www.worldofleveldesign.com/store/preproductionblueprint.php

• Like 1

There is more to the map actually. I don't think you've seen it enough. The plan was to have at least 3x3 intersecting grids but obviously I'm not exactly the best level designer to put that idea to reality.

A map like what I have now is probably the worst map to design a level on, it's too open and it's not exactly ww1 where there are trenches everywhere, it's gulf war and my options are limited.

I have plenty of ideas for the next map which will be located in the city. I'll have more options then.

screenshot37.jpg

Also, I've 2 different game modes to think of - there's push and conquest one is linear, and the other one allows players to run around freely.  

screenshot37.jpg

Can you explain the intended gameplay some more? The map looks very open and flat. Without vehicle transport I don't know if something that big will work very well. I played a lot of Red Orchestra, and the big open maps were the worst for infantry combat. The best maps were medium sized segmented maps with two possible approaches at each objective.

Look how confined this border area in Iraq is:

Players just have to run around and protect different areas in the map from invading forces. In the push mode you have to secure an area one after the other. It's not original obviously, just a simple done-1000-times concept. I wanted that so I don't have to worry about making a map that fits closely to a storyline.

I'm not sure about the map in the video, it looks like there's just one path and multiple choke points. Choke points I want to avoid because that would leverage the advantage of one team from the other. 

Also, I want to mention there is verticality in the current map which adds another dimension to the level. The buildings have second/third floors where players can take the high ground. I want to add ladders to make those areas more accessible in single story buildings.

n1jcvkN.png

wkJBd85.png

fMCeL9W.png

xvymAkZ.png

• Like 1

Here's my take on it. Structure -> flow of players -> gameplay.

If you just have a two-story building surrounded by miles of sand the attacking team will never even get close to the defenders. Having high ground and cover are a massive advantage.

It also makes level design very hard because you have to surround the entire area with interesting features, whereas a more linear attack only needs a limited area to design, which gives you more control over the flow.

You can use buildings, barbed wire, rivers, overturned trucks, scraps of junk, burnt out cars, and concrete barricade to for the borders.

Image1.thumb.jpg.37e9a5b070fb556955dfce9930b40e98.jpg

• Like 1

Day of Defeat has some stuff that might be interesting to you:
vSRYM8c.jpg.0f6cfa9fd8463bf4256f0f07c44d5252.jpg

colmar_map.thumb.jpg.554c28c1a2e4ae18abd04ee6d7ee1480.jpg

• Like 1

Those look good. Very compact. I wouldn't count out the open maps though.

Are vehicles coming in at some point? I don't mind waiting really but it would be great to have them on open maps.

1 minute ago, jen said:

Those look good. Very compact. I wouldn't count out the open maps though.

Are vehicles coming in at some point? I don't mind waiting really but it would be great to have them on open maps.

I am planning on it in 4.6 this summer. If the new vehicles aren't ready I am just going to make my own using springs and motorized hinges.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Josh said:

I am planning on it in 4.6 this summer. If the new vehicles aren't ready I am just going to make my own using springs and motorized hinges.

I hope they'll continue to be easy to use. If they mostly stay the way they are, then my only other hope is that they're easy to reset. Like if a vehicle falls out the game area, it can be put back on the track easily with neutral settings. Like vehicle->SetPosition() and vehicle->Reset() or something. Or an easy remove and recreate.

16 hours ago, gamecreator said:

I hope they'll continue to be easy to use. If they mostly stay the way they are, then my only other hope is that they're easy to reset. Like if a vehicle falls out the game area, it can be put back on the track easily with neutral settings. Like vehicle->SetPosition() and vehicle->Reset() or something. Or an easy remove and recreate.

Probably will be the exact same commands.

@jen I hope my feedback was useful to you. I love the project.

It's been a while since my last post here, lol. Have been way too busy lately. Anyhow...here's my latest work of art...it's the Christ The Redeemer statue in Rio de Janeiro. All done in 3DCoat. 

image.thumb.png.4f4de8f1c63a164616fa5d66e549a154.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

• Like 4

Here's my latest work of art. 🙂

A demonhead. It's the start of a demonic creature. All done in 3DCoat so far.

HellHead01.thumb.jpg.fb7f438ae5540101e9bd36a401e4b536.jpg

HellHead02.thumb.jpg.6f6945fae067053bf2e34eb32386d06f.jpg

HellHead03.thumb.jpg.a93f75344b4290b51c8c4dc63aff09ba.jpg

• Like 2

Newest WIP 3d model, made in Blender, and textured in 3DCoat 🙂. Next is to add a water tap. 

unknown.png

• Haha 1