Asset deletion bug

Rick

This is kind of a tricky situation. You deleted the asset file, then when the editor restarted it automatically reconverted the file from whatever source file it came from. Should the editor try to guess and delete the original source file too?

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

If I delete a texture it should be gone from the project shouldn't it? I'm confused as to why that wouldn't be the case. Why not just leave the original source alone completely? Is there something I'm missing? Am I able to alter the source file and if it's already imported it'll automatically bring that change into the editor? If so that solves my issues, but I have to imagine at some point if we really want the asset to be deleted we would want to break that link to the source and totally remove the asset and it's files in the editor.

Along these lines, I noticed that if I delete a texture/material/asset, there are meta files or something that stay. Then if I re-import the texture (after changing it for example) the filename now has a (1) after it. Every time I make a change to a texture file I have to go into the project directory and delete the extra files that stay to avoid this.

We use the real file system for the project. There is no "adding" files into the project, they're either there or they aren't.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Adding/importing what's the difference? If I drag a tga file into the project, it gets copied (added) and converted to tex and put into the project directory? It also seems to have a meta file around it. So if I delete a tex file from the editor, I would expect the tga file (in the project dir), tex file, and meta file would all get deleted. I must be missing as to why that's a bad thing though.

All my source files are in my own directory somewhere else, and those are the files I drag into the editor to be part of the project. I always have my source files to go back to.

It might not be bad to delete the TGA file. I'm just not going to change the design without thinking it through and making sure it's for the best.

We use the real file system for the project. There is no "adding" files into the project, they're either there or they aren't.

I see. So what your saying is the project does not contain the file of the object. The project only contains the path of the file. So could we have the ability to delete the file path from the project?