2D on mobile

Rick

I'm nervous about dealing with 2D on mobile platforms, given so many different resolutions and aspect ratios. Testing for all the different variations and potentially needing different sizes of the same image (not stretced because it could look bad) just seems like a giant pain :(

Has anyone made a game on mobile that had 2D elements and have any tips?

1) For sure not waiting for LE GUI seeing as my game is probably 1-2 weeks from being complete.

2) I've thought of 3D GUI and I might go that way, but 2D is generally easier (make a image, DrawImage() on the screen, minus the resolution issue).

OK, I'm going 3D with this stuff I think. The main menu background I'll just make a material for and slap it on a CSG object in front of the camera. Will do the same for the buttons I think and just pick them for selection. That way I don't have to worry about this 2D **** :)

• Upvote 1

To answer your original question Rick. I faced the same problems when I developed my first Android game which I published roughly two years ago. Depending on your game's graphical requirements it's best to design your game to the absolute smallest screen you think it will be comfortably played on. You can then rescale your graphics to fit larger screen sizes and/or reference higher resolution bitmaps to fit. Remember to preserve the aspect ratio of your original screen size then centre the game area on the larger screen and you should be fine.

"If our brains were simple enough for us to understand them, we'd be so simple that we couldn't." - Ian Stewart 1995.