Interesting article following GDC

Pixel Perfect

Quixel's DDO looks really interresting, i'll try the demo, but the price hurts ... ouch. Also what's the difference between a freelancer and an indie ? who am I ????

I have some artistic skills, but adding details like dirt and scratches is what makes the difference between a model looking uniformly new or looking real. Also specularity is something I never understood and cannot handle.

• Upvote 1

Windows 7 home - 32 bits

Intel Quad Q6600 - nVidia GTX 460 1GB - 2 GB RAM

It would be nice if there was an indie version of Masa Life that doesn't cost $5000. Just guessing on that price. And I'm taking a look at FX Studio and they aren't listing a price on the front page. Which is not a good sign. I'm guessing $3000 for that. #pessimism

Core I5 2.67 / 16GB RAM / GTX 670

Zbrush/ Blender / Photoshop CS6 / Renoise / Genetica / Leadwerks 3

It would be nice if there was an indie version of Masa Life that doesn't cost $5000. Just guessing on that price. And I'm taking a look at FX Studio and they aren't listing a price on the front page. Which is not a good sign. I'm guessing $3000 for that. #pessimism

Masa bought out EKI one. Did you buy a EKI one license when Pixel was making a exporter to LE2? I did but still have not done anything with due to lack of time. http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/topic/3377-eki-one/page__st__140#entry51466

Quixel's DDO looks really interresting, i'll try the demo, but the price hurts ... ouch. Also what's the difference between a freelancer and an indie ? who am I ????

I have some artistic skills, but adding details like dirt and scratches is what makes the difference between a model looking uniformly new or looking real. Also specularity is something I never understood and cannot handle.

Have used DDO as beta and find speed it’s best asset, not sure the difference between freelance/indie, I’m still sticking with substance designer. smile.png

The dirt and scratches is like a find edges filter on your curvature map. You could achieve similar results by creating a cavity map in xnormal from a normal map and using it as a mask in photoshop.

My first Adobe purchase was Photoshop 2.0, CS6 was my last! < = >

Have used DDO as beta and find speed it’s best asset, not sure the difference between freelance/indie, I’m still sticking with substance designer. smile.png

Anyway photoshop is required and I don't own photoshop. Photoshop price + DDO price, even with non commercial licence, is a complete big GAME OVER for me.

Damn, there's Paint.net, GIMP for free, or even Corel's PaintShop pro X6 for $75 .... But link their product to $1299 Photoshop that will multiply the global price of their product by x6.2 for an indie is just crazy sad.png (I don't use pirated software, never. ... and for those who do have a pirated photoshop, what would stop them to do the same with DDO ? Conclusion, their indie strategy will fail)

Windows 7 home - 32 bits

Intel Quad Q6600 - nVidia GTX 460 1GB - 2 GB RAM

Ditto!

Win8.1 Pro X64/ Intel core I7 @ 3.5GHz / 32GB DDR3 SDRAM / GeForce GTX 660+760/ VC++ Express 2013/ Blender /Unwrap3dpro3 /Modo 8