2nd UV set for meshes for lightmaps

BenH_76

It would be nice if we were able to have the option for lightmapped materials on imported meshes. We could generate the 2nd UV set in our 3d app (Modo in my case) and then our Leadwerks lightmaps would bake into the 2nd UV set. It is a very good workflow.

• Upvote 1

The best is to import your lightmap from your modeler at same time as UV set also directly into LE 3.

http://www.leadwerks...lender lightmap

I don't like this workflow. You bake lighting in Blender and then also have lighting on brushes in Leadwerks 3? The lighting won't match up. LE3 should work as UDK does... create 2nd UV set in modeling program and then import model. Then LE3 bakes lighting into 2nd UV set.

• Upvote 1

Guest Red Ocktober

the lighting is never gonna match, no matter what workflow you choose... but i think you'll be able to come close enough with a lil planning...

simply set the lights in your lightmapper at the same locations as the lights in your scene in Leadwerks, and set the light properties to match as well...

or...

lightmap the entire scene...

an example of Gile based solution for lightmapping (you'll probably not like this one either laugh.png ) can be found here --> http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/topic/5936-quick-and-dirty-lightmapping-in-leadwerks/page__hl__lightmap

--Mike

Guest Red Ocktober

hahahahaa... biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png sorry... my fingers aren't working as well as they used to... niether is the brain... i could've sworn i entered a url up there somewhere biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

--Mike

the lighting is never gonna match, no matter what workflow you choose... but i think you'll be able to come close enough with a lil planning...

simply set the lights in your lightmapper at the same locations as the lights in your scene in Leadwerks, and set the light properties to match as well...

or...

lightmap the entire scene...

an example of Gile based solution for lightmapping (you'll probably not like this one either laugh.png ) can be found here --> http://www.leadwerks...e__hl__lightmap

--Mike

Yeah, until Josh implements my original feature request I suppose I will try to lightmap my entire level in Modo. However, if the LE3 editor workflow is supposed to use a Brush/Mesh hybrid system then it makes sense that both should seamlessly be able to use lightmaps generated from the LE3 editor. Although I understand that the engine is still technically in beta and Josh will add these types of features in the (hopefully not too distant) future.

It could work like the attached image maybe...

MaterialEditor-Improvements.jpg

It makes sense.

So we could import models and have them lightened by LE3 lights as BSP if it was some on the level.

And static lights used in lightmap works in models passing by also.

Yes, this is precisely the workflow with UDK and it is excellent. Out of all of the feature requests this is probably my number one.