What's the biggest development challenge you face?

Josh

91 members have voted

1. 1. What's the biggest development challenge you face?

• Obtaining good quality art assets
    • Writing game code

..most difficult part i was ever able to came over, is sorting out artists to be on same page with development and tech constrains..something i never had thought about..once you cross number of artists you dealing with, larger than 3, to let things go unsorted is a disaster call..

For people that put more time in 3D art, will need easy "high level" programming and functions.

Having some sort of "templates" or "mods" in some sort, complete and working is a great advantage.

Like :

-"Darkness" demo

- racing demo

- FPS demo

- Space combat demo

- 3D or 2.5D platformer demo

The challenge is more the programming side, finding some tutorial from lauching game Menu, how to do it, to a complete working level with HUD, goals, and all code behind.

• Upvote 2

Stop toying and make games

For me the biggest difficultly is not being able to afford the art assets for the game, especially 3d models. I can handle most of the coding myself, but I have pretty much zero artistic talent so I have to purchase all the graphics and sound...

76561197989503624.png

Well this is just a hobby for me, but i agree with Rick...need good art, assets....i like Leadwerks 3, but i miss MakeFPS(); that was a real timesaver for me! smile.png

Win 7 64, LE 2.31, Liquid Cooled I7-960 @ 4.00GHz, 6GB DDR3 Ram @ 1600mhz, BFG GTX295, Sound Blaster X-FI.

Time is the biggest challenge, so smooth workflow is important smile.png

I agree with Shadmar, time is the challenge. But I voted "writing game code" because when I see the LUA editor without autocompletion that doesn't show me the command syntax when I type then "(" opening bracket ... i'm not even tempted to start using it because I already know I'll loose plenty of time going in/out of the editor for each command.

C++ provides this and more, it displays the command list after the "." and ":" and nodoby would disable the feature ? would you ?

I guess 90% of the coders don't want to spend time in the docs, they prefer good examples and an editor that helps them with the syntax.

It's perhaps not a good practice but it's a fact.

Windows 7 home - 32 bits

Intel Quad Q6600 - nVidia GTX 460 1GB - 2 GB RAM

C++ provides this and more, it displays the command list after the "." and ":" and nodoby would disable the feature ? would you ?

I guess 90% of the coders don't want to spend time in the docs, they prefer good examples and an editor that helps them with the syntax.

I semi-agree/disagree with this one. Whenever I've done coding in the past (not primarily c++) I've always disabled auto-completion & syntax highlighting. 9 times out of 10 I would just use stock notepad for my editing purposes anyway. In the past I did use phpdesigner (05 i think) but that was so I had quick access to multiple files & click to go to a function but never for syntax highlighting & auto-complete. No pre-coded system on the planet can know what I'm doing with my code better than my own flow of thought. Although, alot of new coders (primarily web developers) I've met over the years can't grasp using notepad for tasks and always go with the highlighted stuff.

Perhaps the functionality should be included with an enable/disable to satisfy all people.

My issue is going to be more on the design as I'm fairly new to 3d-modelling most of my game will be bsp comprised due to past experience in the early cod series of level design.

Operation Mosquito

Recruiting 3d Modeller/Animator. (pm if interested)

It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can do only a little. Do what you can. - Sydney Smith

No pre-coded system on the planet can know what I'm doing with my code better than my own flow of thought.

Auto completion is just suggesting what you probably want to write.

I dont understand these kind of guys like you, "i just use notepad" ... sure just do it if you want. But when you don't want to see to improvement in workflow with auto completion, high lighting and refactoring ... then sorry but you are living in the 80s (hungarian notation *wave*).

Why not use these helpers ? There is enaugh hard stuff to care about in programming, why not use this comfort and concentrate on the important stuff ?

I appreciate that but my issue with auto completion (the versions i've used) is I have to spend more time deleting incorrect suggestions than I do typing the correct code myself. Not really stuck in the 80's though, I started coding in the 90's :P

Syntax highlighting I've never seen a point in, not because it's not useful as I'm sure it is to people who learnt using it. For me it just distracts my mind from focusing on things as opposed to making it easier to see things. Proper formatting always makes life easy.

Operation Mosquito

It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can do only a little. Do what you can. - Sydney Smith

I appreciate that but my issue with auto completion (the versions i've used) is I have to spend more time deleting incorrect suggestions than I do typing the correct code myself. Not really stuck in the 80's though, I started coding in the 90's tongue.png

Syntax highlighting I've never seen a point in, not because it's not useful as I'm sure it is to people who learnt using it. For me it just distracts my mind from focusing on things as opposed to making it easier to see things. Proper formatting always makes life easy.

I find syntax highlighting makes code much more readable at a glance.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I am currently creating a relatively simple auto completion file for Sublime Text (the editor i use)

i can release it here when i finished it. Just not sure if anyone else here uses the editor.

Could be interrested.

I appreciate that but my issue with auto completion (the versions i've used) is I have to spend more time deleting incorrect suggestions than I do typing the correct code myself.

English is not my native language, what I mean with "autocompletion" is this (nothing to delete, just correct syntax suggestion)

post-44-0-34894400-1369851980_thumb.jpg

and this

post-44-0-84844600-1369851996_thumb.jpg

without this I feel like using notepad, so you'll be "at home" with current lua editor wink.png

• Upvote 2

Windows 7 home - 32 bits

Intel Quad Q6600 - nVidia GTX 460 1GB - 2 GB RAM

The auto-completion systems i've used in the past literally finish of your sentence so to speak. When I type { it puts in the }, when I put " it added another " and your typing in the space. Really quite frustrating when your working through a train of thought. Haven't had the dropdown variations before.

The syntax highlighting can help at a glance especially when they use the red bug issue so you can spot the part where your missing a semi-colon but for general reading I have issues (its a weird habit thing lol). The line numbers are a god send though I do really wish Notepad had that option in there. I'll be using the inbuilt editors with LE3 which have it though so always happy :)

I support adding the syntax highlighter and auto-completion features as I know most developers prefer to have them, I just hope they come with a toggle option so they aren't forced upon those that don't want them. I'm sure some point down the line I will adjust my old fashioned ways but it's been about 10years since using my first ac & sh and I haven't adjusted yet.

Operation Mosquito

the only issue is that there is no dependent auto completion for Lua.

So you get all methods all the time in the list.

Not sure if that is even possible with Lua because of the dynamic nature

//Edit: the editor included in LE3 already has some sort of syntax highlighting.

But i think you could disable it with setting the color the same for keywords etc in the options

The auto-completion systems i've used in the past literally finish of your sentence so to speak. When I type { it puts in the }, when I put " it added another " and your typing in the space. Really quite frustrating when your working through a train of thought. Haven't had the dropdown variations before.

The syntax highlighting can help at a glance especially when they use the red bug issue so you can spot the part where your missing a semi-colon but for general reading I have issues (its a weird habit thing lol). The line numbers are a god send though I do really wish Notepad had that option in there. I'll be using the inbuilt editors with LE3 which have it though so always happy smile.png

I support adding the syntax highlighter and auto-completion features as I know most developers prefer to have them, I just hope they come with a toggle option so they aren't forced upon those that don't want them. I'm sure some point down the line I will adjust my old fashioned ways but it's been about 10years since using my first ac & sh and I haven't adjusted yet.

Ever tried Notepad++. It has line numbers and you can disable all highlighting etc. if you want.

STS - Scarlet Thread Studios

AKA: Engineer Ken

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!

Interesting. I would have ideas for games and a strong artistic background to do most assets but no idea how to code special effects for projects or even game-code.

I guess I need a "make cool game" button, like coders need "make good art button". ;)

• Upvote 2

Pure3d Visualizations Germany - digital essences

AAA 3D Model Shop specialized on nature and environments