Gobbo Soup - A small game demo

josk

New Update, cleaned up some code hopefully better performance.

A small game being made to help me learn LE3 and Lua. I added Shadmar's Cel.Shader, to see what it would look like (not pictured).

Needs more game play elements which I have planned.

Sound effects need improving.

Any comments appreciated.

ad611481bf51182b1344928cc1bd24cc.jpg

The Gobbo's change direction when they are within certain range of a pivot using the :DistanceToPoint command.

On my laptop I noticed the Gobbo's take longer to turn round thus causing issues. I will have to change the way I do that.

• Upvote 3

Elite Cobra Squad

Nice.

It is Lua or C++ ?

Design improvments :

- grass more cartoon like rocks (mix of cartoon and semi realistic textures look strange)

- use a irregular terrain mesh , better than flat plane

Anyway cool you finished a game even if small :)

Stop toying and make games

A computer :P

This is the same PC I do everything on. It runs many modern games so should be fine. I notice because of the choppiness sometimes the left click misses to register on the red/yellow/green buttons too.

Win 8 Pro

Pentium D 3 GHz

GeForce GTX 260

Guest Red Ocktober

yup... definitely should run fast and smooth on a computer...

specially one with specs like yours...

i'm on an antiquated dell optiplex with an agp geforce 6200 (win vista)

and it seems to be running smooth here...

hmmmm... interesting...

--Mike

Thanks for testing.

It can get a bit choppy on my laptop, I have a few idea's to hopefully get rid of it.

I noticed Aily's post

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/topic/6874-lua-and-used-memory-grow/

I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

I need to clean the code up, I started this just seeing how to get an animated character to work and then just kept adding. This is not the way to make a game.

It is Lua or C++ ?

Design improvments :

- grass more cartoon like rocks (mix of cartoon and semi realistic textures look strange)

- use a irregular terrain mesh , better than flat plane

Lua used.

Consistant textures are needed, I thought the grass looked ok thoughts. Any thought anyone.

Flat plane can be changed, looking forward to LE3 terrain.

Elite Cobra Squad

Looks nice and works nice on my PC.

wodered what type of installer you used since it is only one file and starts the game directly.

Don't know if it installed the game files somewhere.

One other question.

Have you used the default lightning or do you use directional lights?

The installer is SmartPacker Pro http://www.smartpacker.nl/smartpackerpro.html. Hope the link is ok to do.

Recommended and good customer service.

I did put a direction light in when I had shadows on the Gobbo's. Not sure if I left it in. i will check when I'm back from work.

Smooth graphics but clicking the coloured squares seems a bit random.

I will look at this, I uploaded a demo with the CelShader added but without the shader the Gobbo you click is highlighted. I wonder if the Gobbo wasn't clicked on.

I will upload the game without the Shader.

Elite Cobra Squad

Thanks ParaToxic, A few issues need sorting before taking it further.

One other question.

Have you used the default lightning or do you use directional lights?

I had some default lighting and then added a directional light. I will have a play with lighting a bit.

Elite Cobra Squad

It can get a bit choppy on my laptop, I have a few idea's to hopefully get rid of it.

I noticed Aily's post</BR>

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/topic/6874-lua-and-used-memory-grow/

I'm somewhat interested in that thread, because if i would make some mobile Lua game and some clients would find that problem; it wouldn't be so good your popularity ;)

Stop toying and make games

I think the problems might have more to do with my code than the Lua garbage collector, I will have another look tonight.

My laptop specs are CoreDuo T7250 2GHZ 2gig memory Nvidia 8700M GT 32bitVista. Not sure if the laptop is up to it. I would have thought Ricks PC would run fine though.

Elite Cobra Squad

I will upload a demo with FPS after work today.

I thought it could be the models poly size so I reduced the polys. I will change the model and see what that does, it could be the animation like you say.

Elite Cobra Squad

New demo uploaded, The gobbo's have 30 bones for animation. I'm not sure if thats a lot or not.

I tested the game with the Goblins from Darkness Awaits, slightly better performance on my laptop.

Elite Cobra Squad

This version works really good on my old laptop and gamer PC. I hit 60 fps (vsync on probably).

I really like the game concept and this game has good potential. The graphics also pretty good already. Looking forward to future levels and obstacles.

Some feedback:

• Replace the green, red, yello button with icons: Block (stop), Walk (arrow), Run (2 arrows)
  • Map the help page to H instead of K. Also display a little text in screen to press H key for help.