Mini project: Minigolfmania

AggrorJorn

A casual minigolf game in its very very early stages

V0.03

Improvements

• Camera jittering has been reduced by 90% - 95%.
  • The game starts with level selection.

Further known issues

• Bug during level switching has not yet been fixed sad.png
    • Josh is working on it.

[*]Boundries still absorb any bounce back forces.

[*]Lightmapping sometimes looks weird.

[*]Ball and scenery seem to completely ignore friction.

• Level csg has been set to scene collision type that makes movement smoother.

Thanks to Shadmar for the Skybox and swaying shader (the flag).

post-45-0-89411100-1370129899_thumb.png

Latest:

Old versions:

• Upvote 6

Can always rely on you to come up with the goods Aggror, simple but polished ... nice start to a mini game!

My only suggestion at the moment is to add a frame around the hit strength progress bar, maybe graduated, to give some idea of what strength is being selected.

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

Nice, but

When launching the ball, the balls runs very strangely, like it some mmo that was lagging, there are tears screen, ball movement is like it was doing lot of mini not very visible jumps ?

There must be a problem wih physics or the game.

And i can run Follout Vegas on my laptop smooth enought with good settings, so i don't think PC laptop to be the problem.

Stop toying and make games

Well it should run smooth and well with high FPS like same type of games on other open source or basic 3D engines.

Seems LE3 have a big issues with Physics or Lua management.

The movement is very strange and odd, like it was no real inertia.

Perhaps LE3 should go with other Physic engine ?

Good physics should be smooth like that :

Resolution support and GUI scaling is something for much later when all the gameplay works properly.

But the walls absorb too much damage indeed. I had hoped to set this with low friction but that doesn't seem to affect it. The next update will have some improvements.

Better,

But still, the ball don't really bounce on walls.

The power from min ot max is not enought big in range, we should have a max power that should laynch the ball very far and more strongly.

And always, thre is some lag during the game , the ball runs, but suddenly during less than a sedond, there is a lag like the ball was not refreshed or physic not updated; It's noticeable when playing each time it occurs, and it's looks odd.

When playing physic games even open source, i don't find any lag or physic refresh problem.

Much more enjoyable. My only other suggestion (besides the bounce factor posted earlier) is after a shot, the power bar doesn't reset automatically. Which I agree with whilst the ball is in motion as it gives the user time to see how hard they hit it and figure out a new strength but it's a good indicator its time for a new shot if it was to reset.

Oh and slight glitch on one of the levels (not sure which i think it was 5 or 6) but the ramp can catch the ball, even full strength couldnt get it up that hill once it clips the edge.

Operation Mosquito

Recruiting 3d Modeller/Animator. (pm if interested)

It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can do only a little. Do what you can. - Sydney Smith

thanks for the feedback.

• I will reset the power indicator after when you start powering for a new shot.
  • Level 6 has some faulty geometry that makes is diffcult to manouveure

As for the physics: This lies out of my reach. I agree it feels jittery and the bouncing is not correct. The physics are by far from smooth and I have no idea how to set it right.

Looks nice.

i noticed that the ball color in level 5 and 6 is purple.

It crashes randomly when loading a level. Thats why I have not gotten to level 7.

I also noticed the laggy movement. It seems that the physic refresh time is too low. So the ball also sometimes goes straight through a wall.

can you tell me how you load the next map?

For me when i loaded the next map the game-physic is too fast and it normalizes after some randomly long time.

Looks nice.

i noticed that the ball color in level 5 and 6 is purple.

It crashes randomly when loading a level. Thats why I have not gotten to level 7.

I also noticed the laggy movement. It seems that the physic refresh time is too low. So the ball also sometimes goes straight through a wall.

can you tell me how you load the next map?

For me when i loaded the next map the game-physic is too fast and it normalizes after some randomly long time.

Sometimes when you render your lightmap on high settings in the editor, objects get this weird color. It is the same thing you had:

http://www.leadwerks...uality-on-high/

Random crash:

posted in bug reports. http://www.leadwerks...ook/#entry56611

Through walls:

Swept collision is turned on for the ball but hardly affects it. The only thing it does right now, is stopping the ball even when it lies on a steep slope.

Physics speed on level start

I have this as well but especially in debug mode. This has always been around, it goes back to Leadwerks 2. No idea how to get rid of it.

This is what I use:

//Clear the world
App::world->Clear();

//Create new camera
App::camera = Camera::Create();

//Load the next level
Map::Load("Maps/Starter/" + GetCurrentMap());

This is an amazing framework to build from Aggror! Keep going on this.

1) I can hit while the ball is still moving

2) I sometimes can't hit hard enough to get up ramps

3) Physics is still off some with bouncing off walls and such. The ball also stops to early most of the time. Usually they roll a long ways in mini-golf

Keep this up and see it through Aggror!

thanks.

For me it crashes at world->Render(); as soon as i use world->Clear();

I suppose you are creating a new world and switch worlds with SetCurrent()?

Remember that cameras are also part of the world and thus will also be removed. You will have to create a new camera in order to do rendering. That might be the reason your project crashes.

Great little game, can see you adding a lot more levels. This game would be perfect for tabs and phones.

Had some of the issue already mentioned the only other one to add is I got the ball off the map so it just kept falling, needs to reset. I think it went through a wall.

You could always add a marker to the power indicator to see what strength you had it the previous turn.

Elite Cobra Squad

Would be cool for Steam workshop as well. You could simply make your own levels and add them to Steam. Simply subscribe to the golf course on steam and the next time you start the game your mod will be downloaded.

Physics:

I also have a huge physics improvement for the ball-camera jittering. I no longer use a CSG sphere with editor shape or a Sphere created with API with a self made shape. I now use a model of a ball and let the editor set the size. The ball rolls more natural and there is no jittering. Only the bouncing off on walls is still not working the way it should be.

Levels

2 new levels

1 level redesigned

2 levels adjusted geometry

@Rick, Shooting during rolling

I though I had that working but turns out I forgot something:

Old code:

if(velocity < 0.2)
// Allow shooting

New code:

if(Math::Abs(velocity) < 0.2)
// Allow shooting

velocity can also be in a negative direction and thus the if statement for checking the velocity should convert velocity always to a positive numer: math absolute.