Affordable rig that supports open Gl 2.0

I was hoping for some advice about where to buy a desktop comptuer that supports open GL 2.0 but is under a $800.00 budget,

My current vista laptop and window 7 desktop do not support open GL 2.0, so every computer on the market may or may not support Open Gl 2.0, so Im confused, I tried some searching for rigs that support Open gl 2.0, but im not finding anything yet., I dont want to take a shot in the dark, I cant install a new video card on neither my laptop nor my desktop due to the incompatible hardware designs, so I have decided to just start over and get a new rig.

any help on the cheapest rigs that support open GL 2.0 with windows 7 would be appreciated thanks.

I wonder. OpenGL isn't new so I thought nearly every PC nowadays should support it.

And since your pcs do run Windows vista or 7 maybe you are only

Missing a drive.

What is your Graphics card?

Are you using some default windows driver?

If you go to Fry's electronics you should be able to just tell them what you want and they will put one together for you. Here are some tips to save money:

• Get an AMD CPU. Dual cores are fine for most gaming. CPUs don't matter as much as GPUs, so just buy something in your price range. I usually get the second-best, because it gives 80% of the performance at 50% of the price.
  • Get an ATI GPU. Something like this will be good:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129272

The GPU is the most important component. The GPU vendors release low and high end cards, year after year. The high-end ones be numbered like "X800" (ATI) or "X80" (Nvidia).

For example:

Good: Radeon 6800, Radeon 7960, GEForce 680

Bad: Radeon 7400, Radeon 6200, GEForce 720

RAM is cheap. You probably don't need any more than 4 gigs, and if you ever want more it's easy to add.

A kickass gaming PC should cost about the same as a next-gen console and give better performance. And it's upgradeable.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

For $800 you should be able to buy a decent machine that supports OpenGL 4

A kickass gaming PC should cost about the same as a next-gen console and give better performance.

I can't say I agree with this.. $400 for a "Kickass" gaming PC? This doesn't sound right... Also don't forget that PC's are running a lot more than just a game so they require extra oomph. i.e. You can for sure easily make a PC that will last out almost 2 generations of console but it will cost a lot more. Don't forget you also need to buy an OS for a PC.. unless you go Linux.

That asside this is about PC building so here's my 2cents:

If you make a mistake and pick the wrong motherboard then you could also stuff up your graphics card upgradability. If you want to be able to upgrade it in the future you need to have at least one PCI-Express 3 slot on it.

Also if you plan to upgrade you need to either buy a power supply that has room for upgrade or be prepared to buy a bigger one later... The less you spend the less upgradable the system becomes.

But as I said $800 will get you what you want easy.

STS - Scarlet Thread Studios

AKA: Engineer Ken

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!

Scarlet that's true when you factor in the Australia Tax. In America 400 could be right

Could be but I'm skeptical. In Aus you might only just manage to get on par at $800.. I recently read a US article about this same issue saying it would be more like $600 in to get on par with it.. still its not much more but thats beside the point.. its still a 33.3% increase in cost.

Fact: Game Development is hard... very bloody hard.. If you are not prepared to accept that.. Please give up now!

I think $400-500 is about right, depending on what parts you have lying around:

• Motherboard + CPU = $150
  • GPU = $150
  • Hard drive = $50
  • Case = $70
  • DVD drive = $20
  • RAM = $40

This isn't for top of the line stuff, but it will play any game out there today.

Here's another example. Hardware requirements have gone up, but prices on the components here have gone down, so it kind of balances out:

http://kotaku.com/5223590/a-500-pc-that-can-kick-crysis-***

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I think $400-500 is about right, depending on what parts you have lying around:

• Motherboard + CPU = $150
  • GPU = $150
  • Hard drive = $50
  • Case = $70
  • DVD drive = $20
  • RAM = $40

This isn't for top of the line stuff, but it will play any game out there today.

Here's another example. Hardware requirements have gone up, but prices on the components here have gone down, so it kind of balances out:

http://kotaku.com/5223590/a-500-pc-that-can-kick-crysis-***

Indeed a you'll be able to play anything that currently exists but not necessarily next generation or on par with PS4 or XBox One. You also have to assume you have things lieing around. You're also missing PSU and Operating System from your list in the event you aren't going Linux or don't have Win 7 (I think Win8 is cheaper though).

You also have to factor in that just having the statistics == on paper between PC & next Gen console doesn't mean they are equal, these machines are designed specifically for games and they don't have an OS that clogs everything up all the time. Of course after a few years of next gen consoles being out a cheap new PC would easily overpower it... just not quite yet.

Crysis is an old game now...

All that asside you are correct... You could do OpenGL 4 stuff easy with a rig like that.

• Get an AMD CPU. Dual cores are fine for most gaming. CPUs don't matter as much as GPUs, so just buy something in your price range. I usually get the second-best, because it gives 80% of the performance at 50% of the price.
  • Get an ATI GPU. Something like this will be good:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129272

Times might have moved on a bit from when I was last building. I would certainly recommend AMD, but why stick to a dual core? Their quad cores have been excellent from day one unlike Intel's Core 2 Quads that were actually 2 dual cores working side by side. For anyone who's using something newer than XP, you can use all four coes, and even if the game you're playing doesn't need the extra cores, it can still run all the spyware and viruses that people seem to like downloading...

In the past I've always favoured GeForce cards over Radeon cards simply because back in like 2006-2008 both were fairly good at Direct X 9 rendering, but the Radeon was horrible in Open GL rendering. As a community, many of us may remember the early teething problems with LE 2 due to the Radeon cards simply not supporting Open GL 2+ properly. These days though, Radeon cards are serious competitors in the Open GL scene aren't they?

Also, for a restricted budget, would the AMD APUs be a suitable low or mid price option for those who want to play games, but don't need to absolute top notch.

I ask without trying to thread steal, because my AMD 6000+ dual core and the GeForce 8800 GT paired with it are starting to show their age now, but I definitely have a much lower budget than I did when I last upgraded back in 2008... Both of those will probably go to my brother who still plays a bit of LAN stuff with me (Except he uses Windows 2000), he's got an AMD 5400 dual core but his real killer is the GeForce 7300 GS graphics card. He sold out to the 360 in 2008 when I upgraded, so went for a cheaper dual coure CPU and took my GeForce 7300 that I was swapping out for the more powerful 8800...

LE Version: 2.50 (Eventually)

I say, scout ebay :P I picked up my Geforce GTX 285 1gb for £25+£7 delivery. That was about 6months or so ago.

My rig in total was around £450 to make but it is well over the spec's computer stores were offering (even the smaller stores) at the time.

Just find what you want (say 3-4options for each part) stalk ebay, save a fortune. When I bought my gfx card and paid £32, i went down Dundee the day before and the lowest I could find was £90 second hand.

Operation Mosquito

Recruiting 3d Modeller/Animator. (pm if interested)

It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can do only a little. Do what you can. - Sydney Smith

Josh

If you go to Fry's electronics you should be able to just tell them what you want and they will put one together for you.

I sent them an email about a computer that has open GL 2.0, and I got this:

Dear XXX,

Thank you for contacting Frys.com with your inquiry. Regrettably, the item that you are inquiring about is not available at Fry's Electronics. A message has been sent to our product management team for their consideration. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Kristy A.

Sales Associate

Frys.com

1-408-350-1484

1-866-596-4152 FAX

www.frys.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I luckily found a confirmed rig that can run it off another website though, thanks anyway guys...

Certera 7321-$784.00 Open Gl 2.0 compatible

I sent them an email about a computer that has open GL 2.0, and I got this:

Dear XXX,

Thank you for contacting Frys.com with your inquiry. Regrettably, the item that you are inquiring about is not available at Fry's Electronics. A message has been sent to our product management team for their consideration. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Kristy A.

Sales Associate

Frys.com

1-408-350-1484

1-866-596-4152 FAX

www.frys.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I luckily found a confirmed rig that can run it off another website though, thanks anyway guys...

Certera 7321-$784.00 Open Gl 2.0 compatible

I don't think the person who send you this knows what OpenGL 2 is. OpenGL 2 was release in 2004 and should be supported with a very wide range of hardware. If you buy any graphics card from the last 2-3 years, you will be set for OpenGL 2. OpenGL 4 is a different story.