LE 3 and prices, upgrades etc ...

YouGroove

There has been lot of discussion about LE3 new features, Linux , upgrades and prices.

I was thinking like some people, paying already for some upgrade ... but i re think on another engine i used and finally i thaught: No that's great like that?

Here is the example i had with some indie engine at very affordable price.

Having followed some indie engine, popular for German people , i buyed versions since 2006.

There was 3 versions i baught (one and two updates).

Like LE 3 , not a team behind but one guy and some helpers if we can say.

During two years, it has been no updates at all, they learned from that mistake.

Last version didn't justify the price and version some of us said, and lot of stuff is braught on updates sometimes by skilled users could it be shaders or engine features, they rely too much on users for my taste, caus it can take lot of time. A lot is based on 2006 version engine interface and core.

From 2 years or more it was speaken about new interface or real engine change but nothing until now.

I check from time to time , and like Blitz3D , only the fans and people that like it as it is stay with it.

So for Leadwerks 3, if we need to pay for major features, i don't see the problem finally to pay for them.

Because i prefer to see the engine evolve like bringing super new rendering feature or a super editor feature, faster than lot of others.

If paying some for going that way, why not , it's better than some engine super slow and letting users dreaming with promised stuff.

Instead of waiting one or two years, for some new version without beeing sure meanhile if the engine is going on the right track with right stuff i would want to use.

It's better to have some dynamic on updates, at least you are sure 3.1 ill bring great stuff, the engine wont' sink down, and this will help the engine growing more for future major updates.

I prefer that then having some forecast page with writtent features from 2,,3, 4 years that have never appeared, and that only make people dream or wait for nothing.

So yes, let's have important updates, with major features, let's put some money to encourage non so long time to have another big major update.

It will be to you to decide if you need next update or wait for next one.

But if LE3 keeps progressing like that , it will go in the right direction, and won't let people with some almost dead 3D engine, and instead it will be one dynamic with major updates that don't take years to arrive laugh.png

The more money you put ( without going crazy i hope laugh.png ) , the more you 'll have and the more LE 3 will become a big indie one.

it is better to have some dynamic changes and updates, even paying for , at least you are not dreaming of features that you are not sure they wont' come like i can see elsewhere.

Stop toying and make games

Hi YouGroove!

From my personal view (just my personal OPINION !!! ), its not about the price. I bought several Visual Studio Editions, Camtasia, Burning Software..... etc.

For me its about not honoring the community/userbase, why ?

The Kickstarter guys get for

100$ : Leadwerks 3D lua + c++ on linux (i didn't needed macintosh....)

200$ : Leadwerks 3D lua + c++ on 3 platforms (win, mac, linux)

I can life with the 3.1 thing because these guys have to wait ~6 month, but why do they get more/cheaper stuff than the old community/fanbase which allowed to create this leadwerks success ?

I just hope the OpenGL 4 update won't go over 200$ :(

• Upvote 1

I think, it's businness change, LE 3 needed a good income to start, and finally it couldn't go under paid.

I think giving same price for all people is not that bad, caus LE3 is a new product.

With another known 3D engine like Unity, i didn't had nothing when the engine passed free for PC or mobile versions also.

The only advantage i had was to have Unity in my PC and use it during more than one year, and people not buying could only just dream of it.

so i could produce some prototype or game and other people not.

It was a business change and i had to just keep going.

I think it's sme for LE 2.5 i paid it so i could use it and enjoy it.

It was perhaps some plan for LE3 buyers but like Unity this has changed, you just pay same price as everyone.

Believe me , it's not so hard plan compared to Unity where you pay some 400$ and they pass free some months later laugh.png

and you have nothing in return sad.png

Stop toying and make games