Look like Sony's PlayStation 4 Is Running Modified FreeBSD 9

panz3r

“And there’s lots of small teams out there in the third-party space that have lots of innovative ideas. In terms of those true indies – and you’ve already seen we’re working with Jonathan Blow for the PS4 already – we absolutely want to get that kind of content on our platform. We want to make it rich and varied, so we absolutely support indies with the PlayStation 4."

So if you already have a cult following, they're willing to sell you a dev kit. How generous. sleep.png

What if you just want to make games and play them on your own TV? Why should there even be this walled garden?

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

So if you already have a cult following, they're willing to sell you a dev kit. How generous. sleep.png

What if you just want to make games and play them on your own TV? Why should there even be this walled garden?

You have obviously disliked the consoles for sometime because of their "quality control"measures. Let me ask you a question. What is the difference between their selective process and you not wanting to allow people to create an add on for your editor?

• Upvote 1

i think they are pretty much jealous on appstore and google play and see a lost revenue by not doing the same.

Now thet can't let really any game in, but is fair to say that neither STEAM does it. So my personal guess is that they want the revenue but without compromising the image, so they try to figure out the sweat spot.

You have obviously disliked the consoles for sometime because of their "quality control"measures. Let me ask you a question. What is the difference between their selective process and you not wanting to allow people to create an add on for your editor?

I don't see how those things are comparable.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

More supported platforms are good for attracting professionals, since a $200 Leadwerks might give them all they need instead of spending $1500 on a Unity Pro licence, and even more on additional platforms.

My only concern is that I want to have the features such as terrains and Open GL 4 first, and the supported platforms second, so I hope they aren't slowed down too much by the porting process.

I don't see how those things are comparable.

Well I do, and I agree with Dan. This is just you exercising content control over your editor whilst criticizing Sony for exercising content control over their console!

• Upvote 1

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

Sony can't put any style of game on their PSN, consoles are not PC with lot of free little games made by any user.

XBOX have their XLBA and independant category lot more open, and i seen lot of super simple games , or trash ones with super simple or super bad graphics. I don't know for XBOX ONE how it will turn , will they make same category ?

I think Console port could be discussed later when Linux will be here first and if come user or company would come with a solid game to port ?

Stop toying and make games

I don't think Playstation is a bad platform. I am just worried about the support of more and more platforms while the current editor for windows/mac needs to be improved. I am not even talking about opengl 4 or terrain.

Absolutely, for the current user base of LE3 surely this is where the focus needs to be.

• Upvote 1

Intel Core i5 2.66 GHz, Asus P7P55D, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, GTX460 1Gb DDR5, Windows 7 (x64), LE Editor, GMax, 3DWS, UU3D Pro, Texture Maker Pro, Shader Map Pro. Development language: C/C++

I don't think Playstation is a bad platform. I am just worried about the support of more and more platforms while the current editor for windows/mac needs to be improved. I am not even talking about opengl 4 or terrain.

I definetely agree that improving (adding a GUI) and polishing should be one of the first priorities.

Curently I am stucked because we don;t have a gui and what's worst I can;t figure out how to make one. This look more and more like a boomer for me.

..not long ago, major issue for lack of games with LE2.x was path finding..now I see GUI and few other 'features' as a development issue, while more and more platforms, are requested, platforms with very different 'anatomy'..i would seriously stop blaming tools, and spend some time, looking at mirror..just a tip..

• Upvote 5

@Naughty Alien :

I agree with basic stuff first than platforms after, but it seems LE3 need some commercial and popular success, i think that's why it' is so many platforms and Steam. I would like it that way also : GUI, terrain, editor refining before platforms.

That's why i suggered some "Suggestion approved system" in suggestion thread.

@Pixel Perfect :

I agree lot of programmers only toy, without making some game, but selling some platform even to people that don't make a game is what matters for the engine. It's better to have some 3D engine that flows with market than some 3D engine that don't keep moving, and do not progress. Even if you must pay some upgrade.

Stop toying and make games