Portal prototyping

shadmar

I was going to enter the one week game project Aggror started, but I realized I only had 2 evenings to work on it this week, so maybe next time smile.png

portal.jpg

The portals render their counterpart views using two buffers and the regular diffuse.shader. I use camera:pick to place portals on the walls or roof/floor.

When App.player collides with one of them I move player, and set camera orientation to the portal orientation, so all good..

My problem is :

If I step through the portal I get collision in rapid succesion since player is moved between the portals every frame since collision occur immediatley after player is moved.

So I havent figured out a smooth way to solve this, any tip would be appreciated.

• Upvote 4

HP Omen - 16GB - i7 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB

I always thought we needed OnCollideEnter, OnCollideLeave which might help with this and many other things as well.

Maybe chaining multiple collides can work. It's like having 2 lasers at the entry of a door. By telling which one breaks first and which one breaks second you can tell which way someone is going. If you are coming out from a portal you don't trigger the teleporting logic. If you are going into a portal you trigger the teleporting logic.

What you need to do is have two player entities. For each one, discard collisions that lie on the wrong side of your portal plane (which requires me to add a new callback). Then take the average resulting position and force them both to that.

This guy does some insane things using that technique:

• Upvote 1