Game Tournament 2 Poll and feedback

AggrorJorn

Rick and I want to organize another Game Tournament soon. Since the first tournament didn't get that much attention we think that some changes are necessary. We are open for suggestions, feedback and comments. (we can't guarantee everything will be taken care of though smile.png)

Please also fill in the poll.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leadwerks Game Tournament 2

Lasts 2 weeks

Start date 14 August

End Date 18 August

Theme: 2 days before the start of the tournament a theme is announced.

The winners:

At the end of the week we have a private poll that lasts 2/3 days.

The prizes are steam Gifts. We will contact you for the game(s) you want to have based on your prize amount. (We do not send money via bank accounts, paypal etc)

Joining:

When you want to participate in this contest, make a post in this topic stating that you want to participate.

The rules:

You need to be in possession of a Leadwerks 2 or 3 license.

You can make whatever you want: a game, demo, prototype, flythrough, walkthrough, model or shader as long as you use the Leadwerks engine 2 or 3 to demonstrate it.

It is not allowed to use an existing project/game for this tournament, you have to build it entirely from scratch.

You can create whatever you want as long as it is made or placed with Leadwerks engine 2 or 3.

Your project will be placed in the asset store for free.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 days before the start of the tournament a theme is announced. Your game has to be build with this theme in your mind.

Announce it 2 weeks before also, if 2 days before the theme you don't like you finally dont' participate.

Stop toying and make games

@YouGroove I would argue this is a challenge, meaning you are supposed to challenge yourself to go beyond your comfort zone and see what you can make. I think following the theme can be pretty "loose" which should still open the door for pretty much any game type. Also, does it really matter if one decided to not participate 2 weeks before or 2 days before? Either way in the end they would be choosing to not participate, which would be a shame sad.png

What do you mean by theme ?

medieval/fantasy/futurist/cartoon ...

or

FPS/jump&run/Space ship/platform

For theme i would prefer a vote before lauching or announcing it.

I suggest this next tournament idea : "summer games" ; make any game related to summer sports.

It's vague like themes.

I thaught more of flying shooter, racing game, jumping platform game etc ... ?

With space you could make any type of game, hard ot compare space RPG and space shooter games, as each people has is own

You can compare two space ship shooter games more easy than RPG and space ship game that are not same category.

2 days before the start of the tournament a theme is announced. Your game has to be build with this theme in your mind.

Announce it 2 weeks before also, if 2 days before the theme you don't like you finally dont' participate.

I should imagine if you don't "like" the theme 2 days before the commencement of the tournament you won't like it 2 weeks before either. Sounds more like you want two extra weeks to see if you can create something and if not announce you wont be entering.

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

Exactly laugh.png

Tournament , is great for people that don't have a solid project in mind or not working in a team for a game.

I have some 2 games in the makings, and believe me all free time for 3D/game making go to them, hard choice to put days making 3D art and coding for a tournament.

We'll see ...

I have some 2 games in the makings...

So you claim, but I thought the point of the tournament is to start from scratch.

AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 Black Edition

2 x 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

BlitzMax 1.50 • Lua 5.1 MaxGUI 1.41 • UU3D Pro • MessiahStudio Pro • Silo Pro

3D Coat • ShaderMap Pro • Hexagon 2 • Photoshop, Gimp & Paint.NET

LE 2.5/3.4 • Skyline UE4 • CE3 SDK • Unity 5 • Esenthel Engine 2.0

Marleys Ghost's YouTube Channel Marleys Ghost's Blog

"I used to be alive like you .... then I took an arrow to the head"

With space you could make any type of game

That is the idea. The theme is used to sparkle peoples creativity and to let them think about creating a game that has a connection with this theme. If you have 'Space' as a theme you can do whatever you want as long as there is something with Space.

If we says it is going to be a Shooter, we will most likely end with almost identical games.

The goal for these kind of tournaments is to sparkle creativity and make the community more fun. When you see others making games or presenting protypes it should act as a motivating factor. Maybe you will get inspired or start thinking differently because of new ideas. Of course if you don't have the time, then don't participate.

• Upvote 1

I would like to do an official Leadwerks game jam, like the Cereal Hack that is going on right now over there. I would make this a physical event at the Sacramento Hackerlab with online participation. It would be held over a weekend. At the end each team would present, and online participants would have their YouTube video played at the event.

However, now that Kickstarter is wrapping up I am going to be slammed with development work until December (and I'm really looking forward to it!). Taking the time to hold a promotional event for Leadwerks 3.0 right now is probably not as effective as it would be if this was held for version 3.1 in January.

I do have a killer prize for it that Valve gave me when i visited them in Seattle.

• Upvote 2

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

I think we should keep little tournament, asking less work.

A bigger prize , it's more time and quality in the tournament, and i will not participate to gain something, participating is already a good initiative.

@Agrorr :

What are you waiting , you should announce the new tournament already laugh.png

( I'm for these two weeks, if it happens as more free time, less travel )