Game Tournament 3: A Machine for Penguins

AggrorJorn

Are you ready for the final tournament of Leadwerks 3.0? To celebrate the upcoming release for Linux we have picked a nice theme: MACHINES. Do you have what it takes to make a machine for Penguins?

You have 4 weeks to develop an awesome game demo. You can win awesome prizes including a Nexus 7 tablet!

This page contains all the information
http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/page/a_machine_for_penguins.htm?shownav=0
  • Upvote 5

I never used joint motor, only joint to have some character grabbing some object and keeping it following him.

Have you some example on where joint motor is used to produce what effect ?

Do we must use "motor" specificaly ? or only joint is possible ? Or any joint functions ?

Stop toying and make games

You are encouraged to use the new joint motor features, but it's not required if you don't need it, and can still stay within the theme of "machines". For carrying objects, I recommend using these commands:

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/page/documentation/_/command-reference/entity/entityphysicssetposition-r190

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/page/documentation/_/command-reference/entity/entityphysicssetrotation-r189

The examples in the docs here show how to use joint motors:

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/page/documentation/_/command-reference/joint/jointhinge-r735

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/page/documentation/_/command-reference/joint/jointslider-r737

• Upvote 1

• You can start thinking and planning but no coding or designing the level(s) in the editor.
  • The game demo has to be free but you do not have to post code if you don't want to.
  • With the exception of written libraries (GUI, networking), you have to create everything from scratch.
  • You can create the game for whatever platform that is available. Obviously, Linux is not possible. (yet..)

They also limit you. Very few games actually use joint motors. Sure I could use it for a door, but like I said, someone who makes their entire submission around motors will most likely get the majority of the votes simply because Josh suggested that as the theme, even though he said you don't have to use it, but encourage them.

I'll start thinking of joint motor oriented gameplay and play along, but I'm just not a fan is all.

Need some inspiration? Here are some physics puzzles from different games:

At 9:25 a box is blocking the engine from moving:

Turn two wheels to open a door:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awbiL7He-pc

At 8:17 the player turns a wheel to move a crane and bridge a gap so they can get across:

At 2:00 various gears are assembled to make an engine:

Other ideas:

• Turning electricity on and off to make an area passable.
  • Controlling a crane to move objects around.
  • Running through a Halloween horror machine and dodging moving spinning blades.
  • And of course, your own off-the-wall ideas that go beyond this.

The best approach is probably a simple idea with good execution.

• Upvote 1

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

@Aggror :

• You can start thinking and planning but no coding or designing the level(s) in the editor.
  • With the exception of written libraries (GUI, networking), you have to create everything from scratch.

1) Ok so we can draw concepts and levels so ?

2) Ok you create everything, but textures can come form sites like CGTextures i hope laugh.png ?

-----------------------

What ideas for joints ?

About the videos above , i don't see lot of example and some mechanisms can be done with animations or rotation simply.

- Wheels to turn : they could be simplya wheel a simple rotation : same effect, no physics needed

- last video mechanism : same statement, a simple running animated model will produce same visual effect, and you just open the door when it starts animating.

Yes some simple mechanism animations can be simply made using rotations, or some animated models, not always need to go physics to just show a working mechanism.

Perhaps better use :

- Some rotating platform that you would rotate to positions to access some areas not accessible

- catch some oject with joint system and it follows you whenever you go

- push some lever with physics that would open some door with joint

I'm don't see clearly joint possibilities , if other people have other ideas ?

@Aggror :

1) Ok so we can draw concepts and levels so ?

2) Ok you create everything, but textures can come form sites like CGTextures i hope laugh.png ?

1:We can't control if people are spending time on making the game outside the official tournament dates, so we just have to rely on the honor system. Thinking ahead and doing some planning, writing down some ideas, is okay but getting all the materials, textures, sounds and models together is something you have to wait with.

2. Using textures from website like CG textures is allowed. If you want to use models from the Leadwerks assets store or any other website, be sure to credit the makers.

FlowGUI

On a side note: I will release FlowGUI to the asset store before the tournament starts, so that people spend their developing time on gameplay, rather then making a GUI. It will be free to use in all your projects (even outside the tournament).

is okay but getting all the materials, textures, sounds and models together is something you have to wait with.

Hummm .... If you plan to use quality textures, this texture serach and gather part can take lot lot of time.

The garther phase( textures, free models without modeling), could be allowed, caus you just search and download, and not start painting or modeling.

Like collecting or serching code examples, you are just better prepared and in the month depending on your free time, it will lot more go in gameplay and ideas than gathering stuff ? no ?

Using textures from website like CG textures is allowed.

Yes :)

in last Tombe Raider game, CG textures has been used by 3D industry artists :

Nice find poly120.gif yep we used cg-textures pretty extensively in some cases we only had 30mins per texture, the art team was so small. Most AAA studios have around 30-40 plus envio artists we only had 14 at the most :| I did not mind though poly120.gif that means a lot of work came from each artis

Source :

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119045&page=2

I agree.

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/topic/7600-fps-in-retro-look/

Hey did i say i will participate already ? (learning some new language and stuff these days and next month, not so much free time)

Participate for fun perhaps, but joint idea is stuccking, could have been : Physic FPS game instead.

I have really no idea for joints, just some rotating platforms system.

Like daimour says: Keep it simple. It is so damn easy to think of something complicated. Even the smallest game can take a huge amount of work.

The theme "Machines" can be all sorts of things. Joints are NOT necessary but since the joint motor was released recently, we thought it could be a nice promotion for it.

So is this a competition to build (using 3.0) an app. for Linux or just an app. that uses 3.0?

Everything I am building for 3.0 is for mobiles (The point of 3.0??) If I build something that uses the GPS/Tilt/Touch screen on a 3.0 device, how will that relate to Linux?

Programmer , Intel Quad core, NVIDIA GeForce GT 220, Windows 7 Pro, Galaxy Tab 2 ( 7" and 10"), LE2,LE3,3DWS