Texture position

Andy Gilbert

Im putting this in here as this to me is a "over looked" bug rather than a missing feature.

Texture locking is something that been requested from day one. But the fact this this doesnt even work with prefabs is just pointless?

You spend the time making a some CSG, setting it all out, texture positioning ETC and you then create a prefab, you drag your prefab in and the textures are all over the place and it looks nothing like its original as there not locked? Its just pointless in my opinion, and makes prefabing worthless?

How can something be instanced, but look nothing alike? ...bug

Andy

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do.

Leadwerks Game-Ready 3D Models:https://sellfy.com/gib3d

I'm surprised this got moved and without a comment, some what feels disappointing?

Despite being a major flaw. It's like your missing the point about being able to populate the asset store with csg models? It's a huge opportunity for modellers and non modellers? Which makes leadwerks itself bigger? I want to create csg models and put them in the store, but I can't because of this flaw.

Never mind.

Andy

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do.

I experienced that problem when i planned to remake some system shock like game.

I had that texture shifting problem on stairs, duplicate a stair and move it, it shifts the texture.

Even sub textures sets in a big texture file can't be used if you can't lock texture position.

It was said , BSP works like that.

Once again BSP i don't thinks this is priority and we've been perhaps the two guys that dug it so much laugh.png

to ask new stuff and missing features.

I would suggest you learning Blender and make modular models, you'll have total control on UV, you will work faster, and NO LIMITATIONS.

Stop toying and make games

Yougroove, please understand I know how to use blender I do 3d modelling in my full time job. But you must understand that imported models in leadwerks do not receive the light mapping treatment that csg does. Therefore I want to be able to use csg in leadwerks, after all that is why it was implemented was it not?

Andy

Ok,

Actually i don't like BSP lightmaps, they are too strong and straight.

The best would models lightmapping, but LE3 uses one texture lightmap per level system, so i don't htink it could be done easyly.

Another solution i tested is beeing able to import lightmaps is possible in Leadwerks 3.

You could dig that way no ? Better lightmaps, no modeling limitations ?

The cons :

- you must create a light ,not overlighting your imported lightmap and with same colour and range, what is not so easy all time.

Yougroove, I'm not interested in weather you like light maps or not, i do and I know there are hacks and solutions but there never as good or easy as the native tools. Which is what I'm asking for. Please just understand this.

Andy

• Upvote 1

I understand this is a feature that will make life easier (and I want it ASAP, too) but there are over 300 Linux users who expect to have Leadwerks running on Ubuntu in December.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

And I remember asking you about Linux taking the attention of leadwerks features you announced with its relwase And you told us you were getting the Linux dev done outsourced so you had minimum input meaning you can concentrate on native features?

Andy

Woaahh yougroove. This isn't a get at josh. We understand that josh is busy and lots on. Josh's response has just opened a bit of confusion that's all.

It's just one of them things that worried me from the start, all the juggling about that's going in with different platforms, different renderes, a basic terrain system. It feels like things aren't getting polished, just done to a basic, released, on to the next big thing.

I don't want this to come across bad, I guess at the end of the day were the users trying to make stuff therefore using leadwerks 3 all the time and handing you feedback you need as I'm sure you don't spend all you hours trying to make csg levels or what ever else people are asking for.

Anyway, if you could clarify about the Linux that would be good.

Andy

It was easy to get it to compile, but all I've got right now is a blue screen, so I am talking to Canonical about the driver situation in 13.10. I have someone else who is going to handle the remaining GTK stuff, which is the real grunt work, but this part is something I have to stay on top of. Also writing the GL4 renderer right now.

My job is to make tools you love, with the features you want, and performance you can't live without.

Woaahh yougroove. This isn't a get at josh. We understand that josh is busy and lots on. Josh's response has just opened a bit of confusion that's all.

Don't worry , i just mean, we have no plannings, we don't know what is going on behind the scene, the only reliable info is :

Linux, terrain OpenGL4 , these for end of the year, so other stuff must wait indeed.

It's just one of them things that worried me from the start, all the juggling about that's going in with different platforms, different renderes, a basic terrain system. It feels like things aren't getting polished, just done to a basic, released, on to the next big thing.

I agree , but LE3 si really new, it's not here form years, it's not a simple LE2 copy.

I would say try UDK, and come back, and you will just say : OK with LE3 i can do that , not that ...

So just find the limits in LE3 and see how to make your game around smile.png

(i just let down BSP for models in LE3 , and it was the best choice for me)

I don't want this to come across bad, I guess at the end of the day were the users trying to make stuff therefore using leadwerks 3 all the time and handing you feedback you need as I'm sure you don't spend all you hours trying to make csg levels or what ever else people are asking for.

I even found the texture locking missing long time ago on BSP stairs :

http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/topic/6158-what-are-you-working-on/page__st__80

I think like i said , you seem to had digged BSP as much as me :

When you push editing further, indeed stuff is missing, and problems are existing.

But you'll have to wait after new features are done, and i think it will be some new roadmap next year for missing stuff .

Ok but when do you plan to come back and do stuff people asking for and which should have been in from the start? Things like this that people are shouting for can either make or a break a game. I have plenty of ideas and the wil to make and yet I start and just like this issue it just puts me at a stop as its just to difficult to work with poor workflow. So are you really going to do all the fancy renderer and linux and what ever comes after that and then eventually come back to impliment the things that was meant to be in from day one? In the mean time we whave to just struggle? It really worries me.

How ever much I want a defered renderer I would prefer a solid editor in which good stuff could be done which will still be benificial when the deferred render and what ever else comes along.

I'm sure it's a hard balance and by the sounds of it I guess now I'm only 1 over 300 Linux users but when that Linux version comes out there going to face the same editor issues.

Andy