YouGroove

When indies are original

Borred of AAA FPS and open sandbox repetitive titles, just look what indie people make

Void :

Tiny and big :

Papa and Yo :

@YouGroove you can't be seriously comparing a throw away game like fast food to papers please... The first 3 games you posted are good, but nothing special, papers please got better reviews then all those games you are mentioning..

..did you actually play any of these games or are you just posting for the sake of posting ?

The 2D game, well, for me it's more another FLash style game :

- no amazing efforts in 2D graphics, (they could have done lot lot more advanced graphics with shading etc ... they choosen : retro fast made graphics)

- too much limited gameplay, you have only one action screen for entire game and actions are too too much repetitive

Well not everybody loves repetitive/borring Flash like games laugh.png

The games i posted was not just for posting like that for fun.

Nope i posted above games to bring inspiration and ideas to indie people using Leadwerks 3, they have quality as good as some AAA games , and are made by indies, and have better gameplay , ideas, variety.

CPD: Help is now at hand

Evidence has been steadily rising regarding this internet phenomenon but until recently it was not regarded as a genuine condition. However, a huge study recently carried out by the Society (of) Professional American Medics concluded that CPD or Compulsive Posting Disorder is indeed a real condition with one in a hundred internet users exhibiting symptoms of one degree or another.

Although their initial findings are advisory only, if you recognise these symptoms in yourself then you are now advised put your keyboard beyond use and to seek medical help at the earliest opportunity!

ok,ok, i will even more restrict my postings as nobody really cares about that thread and indie original games tongue.png

(And nobody forced you to read my post about that games if you don't really care at all)

AAA is a money term - it kind of defines "how good" the developers liquidity is and imho contrasting forces ... it basically is what "its done when its done" meant. Here is your AAA indie title and [oh wonders] from people which do have strong professional background.

... now go buy and play the damn game. rolleyes.gif

You say AAA indie, so your game is a bigger than little indie games, done by a bigger team.

The examples i posted are smaller team or one man project, not such big team.

You can't compare solo or 2-3 people team project with 5 to more people project.

This is the problem with the word indie. The definition of who an indie is has changed in the last 5-10 years. Indie used to be a person who was basically a hobbyist game developer and then sold some games. Because the need for a traditional publisher is slowly going away and funding is "easy" to come by these days compared to 5-10 years ago all these people with 5-10+ years of industry experience are going on their own and are put in the indie category, which technically is correct but there is clearly a difference.

It sort of kills the spirit of what an indie was. I mean honestly do we really care all that much if they have a publisher or not? Does that really make all that much of a difference? A good game is a good game no matter what, but in my eyes there is something a little more special about a 1-3 man team where the members have basically zero industry experience and made a good game on their spare time between their job and family. You feel like they really made it for themselves. They didn't "join the man" at any point. The Outlast team looks to have over 100+ years of experience between all of them. You almost expect that they make a decent game.

It's like golf. The US Open is open to anyone with a decent handicap. They go through a series of tournaments and top x guys make it to the US Open. You could be a garbage man, a programmer, an accountant, etc. It doesn't matter. When those guys get to the US Open it's hard not to cheer for them over Tiger Woods who has years of professional experience. You expect Tiger to win, but you want the "nobody" to just once stick it to the pros. That's sort of the spirit of indie in almost every instance.

@YouGroove I care. I played all the games mentioned here (except fast food ugh..), and can back my claims with valid arguments, the question is can you?

@Rick I agree 100%, very nicely put, that's exactly how I feel and think about the word Indie.

@paramecij :

Well not played , but my dicsussion was more about indies small teams doing great, not if i played it or not, it was more toward 3D games only and original gameplay and style, somehting not explicitly written indeed, my fault.

As mainly programmer's site , i undestant i better stop posting when i'm making some pause working in 3D assets.

I found some others 3D sites more 3D artists and level designers oriented, we have constructive ideas gameplay and critics.

So yes, better for me to post such discussions on that sites where we are not programmers.

@paramecij :

Well not played , but my dicsussion was more about indies small teams doing great, not if i played it or not, it was more toward 3D games only and original gameplay and style, somehting not explicitly written indeed, my fault.

As mainly programmer's site , i undestant i better stop posting when i'm making some pause working in 3D assets.

I found some others 3D sites more 3D artists and level designers oriented, we have constructive ideas gameplay and critics.

So yes, better for me to post such discussions on that sites where we are not programmers.

Still harping on about this Programmer VS "so called 3D artists" rubbish... Nothing much has changed here I see.

For constructive people only (not trolling ones) :

Good gameplay and more puzzle oriented game inspired by Portal Valve's game.

Semi realistic graphic that fits very well the game.