Michael Betke's pine tree

Rick

• 2 months later...

I hadn't actually imported tose trees into Leadwerks 3.0, so I couldn't say how well it worked there, but just gave it a shot in Leadwerks 3.1. I first removed the two additional LOD levels since LE currently can't handle them (a feature sorely missing, if I may say so) and then resize them. I was able to assign the three materials by dragging them to their respective parts of the tree in the preview, though this was a bit fiddly for the trunk since you can't zoom in and it's quite thin.

However, I still couldn't get a tree properly working in Leadwerks 3.1. I'm unable to get the leaf transparency working correctly, and the tree shadow isn't correct as well. In Leadwerks 3.0, shadmar supplied a leaf shader which discarded fragement below the cutoff which fixed that, but I couldn't get this working in Leadwerks 3.1. Now, I am actually not familiar with the intricacies of a deferred shader, so I might be doing something wrong.

Also, the FPS is troubling me: If I put that tree on a 256x256 terrain, with a directional light and the skybox, I'm at about 70 fps (with medium lighting, 2x AA) on a GTS450.