Michael Betke

3D Configurator help needed

At the moment I'm working on to establish a process which helps people ordering assets on my shop with an easy configurator. You configure your game-tree just like a DELL computer.

I'm pushing this idea around since March now and this is the first step to include it into my shop. There is a whole business behind it in the next step. It is still growing here in my head with ideas.

But for now I need some input from devs (like you here) which are daily users to give me feedback. I know most of you are also buying assets on the internet.

I finished the raw construction and you could order already (please dont do at the moment):

http://shop.pure3d.de/150-custom-tree-model.html

Beside the common upload image/docs and note box for informations, people can choose what kind of vegetation asset they like, if they need LoD meshes, textures or even a high-res version with more variations in textures like decals or vertex-painting.

I think about adding an option to add more trees. Like not only two trees per order (which is the default but not yet written there) but making a pack of 5 models of the ordered specimen or even 10.

There will be some screenshots of course later and polished texts. I want the process simple but maybe you guys have additional ideas or "what if..." cases i don't see here.

Just keep in mind that there is such a thing as too many choices. I don't want to pick and choose individual blades of grass.

Sell good packs as cheap as possible. Reward regular customers with discounts. Include 3 or 4 LODs for ALL models (be consistent!!!) (where the middle LOD can be used as the main LOD for mobile and the last LOD is billboard for models like trees in the far distance).

Just my opinion. I could be in the minority and that's fine.

Yes the less is more was also in my mind. Even after some days I don't have new ideas.

The problem with LoD is the setup.

Cryengine needs them in one file with a hierarchy in 3dsmax. Leadwerks needs them in one file but specially named.

Some engines even compute them from the main model now and don't need special LoD. Really tricky and not possible to cater it to all needs. Even for a small price. The current release of my ead Trees have LoD in an extra file so people can choose what to do.

3-4 Lod is overkill. I now need as long to make screenshots, movie product upload as I need to produce the assets. Really annoying and repetatie work. :(

The loyality program is really usefull. It is a bit difficult to set up in my shop but possible.

And I sell as cheap as possible. People who see the difference in quality see the worth and benefit compared to other vendors who deliver tons of mediocre assets.

I'll tell you what though, I loved being able to buy individual models from you for .99 or so instead of being forced to buy a pack for $20 like some other places.

Ah I know. But it is so much work to place every one alone. From time to time I have customers buying 15 or even 20 individual models at once. Or even one. In a perfect world I should upload ever single model too. Due time reasons I do the regular discounts. At a point it is hard to run a shop just as a side-project.

But yes, you are right of course.

EDIT: I think after this pack or maybe the next I will concentrate on uploading the smaller models too again like I did with previous packs. It is not just my shop. I also sell on Turbosquid, CG-Trader and two others...